Tivimate And 4k Streams

No, I had a really good look around at the time to see if there was such a setting but no such luck. Just found it a bit strange that this season it's changed but tbh I'm not really that clued up on technical specs of TV's.

What on earth are you talking about now Mike? I've asked a question about tv settings and people have been kind enough to take the time to reply. Your comments on the thread are most peculiar.
This is not new it happend about a month ago you need to look at your particular brand and model of tv and you will be advised on the best settings.

You may also if you are using a sheild for e.g change the pic settings in there
to correct res and frame rate
I found it better with IMPLAYER but it's upto you about that

Before messing around too much. Try setting res and frame rate correct on device.

Then on tivimate turn on auto frame rate.

Think it’s more to do with the brands of TVs and how they display what we say is hdr my 65 inch Samsung I had to literally do same as you but I found football mode a little better than standard.
My lg tv upstairs just wouldn’t have any of it going through the tv resolution settings but I was tempted to mess with brightness ect.

what happens if you tried a true hdr video on YouTube or if Netflix streams in hdr (don’t have) if they do that is it still same outcome
When I first had the Samsung I contacted Samsung international and got a call back from some American woman, she went through all the settings and nothing changed! I have access to the TV remotely, the only success she had was YouTube.
She told me not to use any external devices for HDR just there apps.
Anyway she tried Prime video and it was if someone had turned the lights out on the film and it was made in a cave.
Amazon's answer when I contacted there department was to put everything up to full,. Dynamic picture full brightness etc it looked like a Kaleidoscope.
After that I went on line and hot the best settings that suited my viewing, but I still get darkness on Fire Cube, Shield is much better

There was a known issue with the sheild's last season in which they could not output/activate the hdr and hlg content so would darken the screen. I did used to find sometimes changing channels back and forth would suddenly activate it and you'd get a brighter picture.

There was a known issue with the sheild's last season in which they could not output/activate the hdr and hlg content so would darken the screen. I did used to find sometimes changing channels back and forth would suddenly activate it and you'd get a brighter picture.
You are correct you change channel and change back

I was told the 'dark' picture occurred when your device (such as Nvidia Shield) doesn't support HLG. If that's incorrect I'm sure something will mention it here.

I was told the 'dark' picture occurred when your device (such as Nvidia Shield) doesn't support HLG. If that's incorrect I'm sure something will mention it here.
It's HDR10+ the sheild doesn't like. No streams are HDR10+. It will go dark if you use crap hdmi cables aswell.

Last edited:
It's HDR10+ the sheild doesn't like. No streams are HDR10+. It will go dark if you use crap hdmi cables aswell.
Am I also right in thinking your TV needs to be a good one, not one of these £300 TV's with crap HDR, that's what causes the dark screens on BT Ultimate/Sky UHD. I've just got the LG G3 paired with the 4K apple TV & IPTVX app and the 4K channels are amazing. But if I try the same channels on my not so expensive monitor which has cheap HDR then I get a dark screen.

I have an LG TV listed as having "4K active HDR". Is it this that's causing the dark picture on those UHD channels? It doesn't happen when streaming from any other app from either the TV, Fire Stick or Nvidia Shield, but it does happen on those channels on multiple IPTV apps.

I have an LG TV listed as having "4K active HDR". Is it this that's causing the dark picture on those UHD channels? It doesn't happen when streaming from any other app from either the TV, Fire Stick or Nvidia Shield, but it does happen on those channels on multiple IPTV apps.
Make sure your sheild res is set properly it should just pick it up.

HDR10+ Is a different matter but no streams are doing that.

If I use the virgin 4k hdmi cable it goes all grey if I use my more expensive one dont get any issues.

Try setting auto frame rate in app that should force TV to correct setting.

Last edited:
Make sure your sheild res is set properly it should just pick it up.

HDR10+ Is a different matter but no streams are doing that.

If I use the virgin 4k hdmi cable it goes all grey if I use my more expensive one dont get any issues.

Try setting auto frame rate in app that should force TV to correct setting.
I'm going to try and get to the bottom of this. The Shield is, from what I can see, all set up for HDR content in the settings. This includes allowing HDR signals and matching the content colour space, and setting the resolution to 4K default. My app, Tivimate, has auto refresh rate on.

While not expensive, I'm using a Kenable HDMI 2.1 cable that supports dynamic HDR. My TV is HDR10 compatible.

Where could I be going wrong?

Turn your brightness to highest, contrast very high or max, sharpness to zero, play with gamma mine is on two, play with black level, turn off any picture or flow enhancements
enable always hdr, watch in dolby vision, change colour temp

Is there anyone that can recommend a top quality hdmi cable that will work for hdr?
I got one called monoprice from Amazon a couple of years ago with recommendations on Shield site!
They are reasonably priced but a bit on the thick and stiff side but still working for me.
Sorted out the problems I was having then

Am I also right in thinking your TV needs to be a good one, not one of these £300 TV's with crap HDR, that's what causes the dark screens on BT Ultimate/Sky UHD. I've just got the LG G3 paired with the 4K apple TV & IPTVX app and the 4K channels are amazing. But if I try the same channels on my not so expensive monitor which has cheap HDR then I get a dark screen.
I have a cheap Hitachi smart android tv cost £300 odd pounds a few years back and when I play 4k vod videos or some channels screen does go darker but for me no problem considering the cost of tv and my only 4k are via iptv. Perhaps if i could afford Bt ultimate/Sky uhd then I could afford better tv :smiley:

Someone has PM'd me to tell me that their TNT UHD stream triggers the HDR correctly on their TV, but Sky UHD does not and thus it has the dark picture. 🤷

Back