Totally Perplexed with u.s.b. HD. HELP!

No worries mate! I thought I had kept all the info on how I solved it for myself but it seems I didn't! I'll get the answer for you tomorrow so man. I'll know it soon as I see it!

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Can you go to run then type in services.msc then in removable storage tell me what it says??

Hi Guys sorry to jump in the middle of the process been away for a while

Hopfully you and mooley can get it going but just incase i'd like to offer some help

Is the drive formatted to fat32 or ntfs? Difference between how easy ubuntu will see it

If its fat32 or ntfs you can boot from a ubuntu 9.04 cd and plug in the drive it might be able to see it as ubuntu mounts drives as folders rather than mounting the entire drive thus can be more effective at mounting corrupt partitions and corrupt file allocation tables also it would seem that this is a issue with the hard drives not the computer which would suggest something probably a virus or infection is causing a corruption in the partition or file allocation table

Also I have a program active@filerecovery I'll pm it to you knot if you run this program with the hard drive plugged in it might see it as it using a completely different method of mounting the drive than windows

If it sees the drive highlight it then click super scan this will scan every block on the drive itself rather than using the file allocation table to read the data and you should be able to recover the lot

Also did the iso I sent you work as it has some very good recovery tools in it also

An other option is to boot from an acronis boot cd as its Linux based if it sees the drive you can use it to backup the data and then flatten the drive completely

Sorry about the burst of info but if you want to suggest which you might like to try I can send you what you need and lend a hand

Have recovered a few drives using these methods but as always if at first you do not succeed try another

Last edited:
Also you could try downloading TweakUI here:
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

Install the Tweakui program and run it.

1. Click on My Computer
2. Then click on Drives
3. The right side will show your drives, the ones that are active will show check marks.
4. Go to the drive that your device is plugged into and check the box even if it shows a red ?
5. Hit Apply. Then OK
6. Go to My Computer and see if your drive is showing.

Byrnie, Mooley! you two guys are legend!
Thanks for all the info, i will go through it later on,I have just re-formatted this comp i am on, as i got a B.S.O.D. today (think it was all the messing around with the Hd`s)Just installed Windows7 ultimate - thought a change of drivers, E.t.c. would help solve this.
The drives affected are definitely Fat32, and i really like your suggestion Byrnie about using Ubuntu due to the folder loading facility.
at this stage i am sure that it is a virus issue - think it might be the Autorun.inf virus, which is trying to open huge volumes of Info at the same time, this could have been the reason of windows slowing/freezing when i plugged either one in.
Have just downloaded the link you gave me mooley, and i will give that a look through as well.
Am really grateful to have two top notch guys trying to help me with this problem!(y)

tried that yesterday buddy,even ran it at start up, but it cannot access the hd because of the slowing/freezing issues!
one of the reasons that leads me to believe it is this virus, is that i lent one of the hd`s to a mate, think it attached itself there then transferred to my comp, then to the second external Hd
to test my theory, i plugged in a 160 gig external, ran your software anf there it was!
the 160 gig was nowhere near the mates comp, or any other comp bar mine.

What about if you plug them into a different pc or laptop where it does show and run the remover?

Have tried them on 6 different computers all together Mooley, 2 Lappys and four pc`s have tried on windows xp, vista, and now i am going to try windows 7 that i just installed .so far no joy,until i check this out on 7 , never know we just might get it yet!..:)

found this interesting little post on my travels today, Reckon this is a sweet little way of takin care of the Autorun.inf problem once and for all,
What do you reckon guys?

If you use an external hard disk ,use notepad to create an empty
AUTORUN.INF save it in root dir of external drive (make sure to save as
all files and not as TXT file) then right click > properties > security tab
deny access to all computer user, system and administrator so no one and
nothing can overwrite delete or change that file.

Remember it will work only on hard disk and windows vista or windows 7 only.

Came across that before alright but it only works with vista or windows 7 supposedly. Mind you I never actually tested it in xp.

Mooley, thebyrnie and co. just an update, thanks to your help i managed to get one of my 500 gig HD`s back up and accessible, took nine hours to run a chkdsk and re-build the bad sectors on it, but was well worth the effort lads,thanks!
The other one i think i will just throw my hat at it.
my mate came clean and said that he dropped it onto a hard surface when moving stuff around, with the attachment i bought Mooley, i can listen to the HD while out of its enclosure and this one seems to try 3 times to power up, with an internal clicking inside and then just goes quiet, so i reckon it is deceased.
Thanks again for your help guys, is very much appreciated.!(y)

You could try the old freezer trick. :)
Never tried it myself, so I have no idea whether it works that well, or at all...it may even be an urban myth, but it's not like you have anything to lose by trying it.:grin:

(It's funny how much shit 'magically' comes to life after a visit to the freezer...remember when it would 'disable' key codes on car radios? :loco:)

Actually was thinking of the freezer trick wooster, nothing to lose at this stage, as you said, lol never know, might turn into a car stereo!lol

Back