Totally Perplexed with u.s.b. HD. HELP!

Tbh, if was getting to that stage mate, I'd just use the drive to pan in the quarterlight on something newer and steal it. :grin:

Damn! you know your stuff! and there was me stuck with a doctored tennis ball to get through the door! lol

Tryed doing a Google and the major reasons you would recieve that error is if you have a:

Bad USB Port on Your Computer

Bad Enclosure on the Drive

Bad Operating System

Bad Sectors on the Drive

tried them all dan tried 6 diff comps, 2 lappys and 4 pc`s with diffrenent OS`s, Mooley has heled me get one working again, the other had a crash from about 6 feet high, thought it was un-repairable, until now

Only thing I could say is knot give it me and let me try for a couple of hours. Reckon I'll get it going for you.

Any time during the week. I'll throw the book at it. And I'll win!(y)

It's that clicking that convinced me, it's not a good sign and usually indicates physical damage to the platters. :/

If you don't think it's feeling right while running while you touch it you should be able to tell if it's physically damaged knot have you tried? I've dropped mine from about the same.

nice one Mooley, you are really like a dog with a bone, never gives up!
gonna try the freezer trick tomorrow, might get the platters cold enough to transfer to another HD, will let you know how i get on. (y)

thanks Wooster.

`course i will mate! you helped rescue one, am not letting you go now!

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

If you don't think it's feeling right while running while you touch it you should be able to tell if it's physically damaged knot have you tried? I've dropped mine from about the same.
yeah mate, when i have tried to power it up, and it starts clicking, i have the HD in my hand out of all cases, just the naked HD and to my hand it feels like its shaking, just a small bit, as in like a physical click, which leads me to believe it is the platters inside.

Don't know if this will work, but you can try it.

Connect your USB stick to PC

On your computer go to Accessories.........System Tools and select Disc Defragmenter.

Your USB should come up in the list displayed......defrag it....then safely remove the USB stick

Put the USB stick back and see if this helps.

Back