Wii Softmodding

i have priiloader downloaded now sinno.

I "think" i had a succesful test with a backup. I launched it through the neogammer and it flickered a bit but i got the game screen showing the game itself before the wii froze.
Im putting it down to the media i used, kodak dvd-r and would only burn at 4.0x speed, it was all i had to hand, ill get veratim dvd-r's tomorrow for another test.

Another question, i have a terabyte HD, can i format a small partition say about 50 gigs into fat32 to enable the wii to recognise it without the wii itself formatting my entire hard drive?

priiloader is a bit buggy so if you can get your hands on preloader .29 its the most stable version an the one i use even on 4.2
in order to get it to run you need to put preloader into a folder called preloader and put that into your apps folder that is on your sd card,
your hacks.ini file should go to the root of your sd card.
Before you install it you will need to run trucha bug restorer again from the homebrew channel
Choose IOS249 and press A. (Important)
Wait till it says Press 1 then press it.
Choose IOS36 menu. In there use these settings
Install IOS to slot (36)
Hash check (trucha) YES
ES_Identity YES
Nand Permissions YES
Then press A on install patched IOS36,
Press A on SD Card when it asks and exit when it's done.
when this is on your wii go to system hacks and enable or disable disc update checks,save settings,go back to preloader menu and goto system settings and set autoboot to system menu and save settings then just press a on system menu and your done
you shouldnt need to access this again unless you have a serious problem,if you need to hold the reset button when your turning on the wii and preloader will come up

with the hard drive it is possible to have the wbfs and fat,i know configurable usb loader works with drives partitioned that way,personaly i just put a 500gb behind the wii formatted to wbfs
Code:
http://gwht.wikidot.com
this will sort you and make sure you get a good partition aid

my apologies sinno i should have read the discription properly

i got preloader from here
Code:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Preloader

i believe this is the one you recommended in the first place.

is the installation the same for this as priiloader?

scratch that question, i think you gave me the instructions for PREloader, i got 2 files with it though, a system information file and a .dol file, which one do i put in the preloader folder before placing in apps, sorry for all the questions but its the childs wii so i dont want to mess it up so soon after santa got here lol

ok i managed to open the system information file with wordpad so i take it i use the .dol file , ill give it a go later thanks sinno

Last edited:
your system hacks are the hacks ini file,as you are 4.1e you will need the one specific to your region,if you go to the place i posted you will get them there,it will be a text notepad file you will place on the root of the sd card

hi sinno im not having any joy with this hacks thing so here's a few pics of what i have on the sd card to see if im missing anything. I think i have the correct pal version of the hacks file. if you want to let me know whats in any of the folders let me know, i may have deleted something without even knowing or forgotten to put something maybe.

I had a succesful burn with two backups on verbatim dvd-r burned at 4x and played nicely so thanks for all your help in that regard!

also i only have 3 options when i open homebrew but only when the sd card is in the wii, the ciosrev14installer, trucha bug restorer and the apps wad managerv1.5

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Rename hacks to hacks.ini
what is in the preloader file,that might just need to be renamed boot.dol(inside the preloader file) and it should show up in homebrew

ok ive renamed the file inside the preloader file to boot.dol so that shows up in homebrew now. when i click on it though i get the warning screen saying please read this carefully so on so forth but i get no option to install or anything else.

ive renamed the hacks to hacks.ini but still cant find this anywhere on the wii itself.

ok scratch that it just started up, i pressed 1 on the controller and it started to load.

i presume i have the wrong hacks.ini file as its not finding it. says could not find hacks.ini on fat nor on nand.

Ive tried a different pal hacks.ini file and it still wont work.

Last edited:
Hi axxxo,try this just unzip tothe root of the sd card
Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/328433837/hacks.ini.rar

ok after trying everything with that hacks file i gave up and put preloader .30 on instead and it picked up the hacks file straight away so im good to go now i think. that wbfs tool works excellent too so thanks a bunch sinno!

hi sinno, my wii is softmodded and running perfectly so far, do i need a preloader or should i just go with the flow? is the preloader something that just runs in the background or something that you use on its own. basically, what does it do?
cheers,

by the way i picked up the disney sing it from xtravision for €20, so boogie is on its way:grin:

as far as i can tell preloader stops any new games from updating your wii and potentially wiping homebrew and others from your system, i think :)

Sorry wheelo i only saw your post now,preloader is completely in the background it does stop games updating but also if you have a semi brick it enables you to access homebrew and helps the wii recover,i find it a essential piece of kit

Back