2 way pull switch only works a certain way

patch

i have a pull switch in bedroom and it will only work when the wall switch at top of stairs is switched down and visa versa , i have renewed both switches but still the same , what is causing this , it was working fine until recently , could it be the ceiling rose , all wires appear to be in ok . thanks

Sounds like you need a two way pull cord switch or light switch. You might have bought a 1 way for either of the two you've replaced.

Screenshot_20210813-181926_Google.jpg

It’s wired wrong , sounds like the live has been taken from the switched live from the stairs light instead of the permanent live . ’it was working fine until recently’ … what have you changed ?

have had a re-read , are you saying the stair light can be switched off by the bedroom switch and the bedroom light can be switched off by the stairs switch ? Should the bedroom switch just control the bedroom light and the switch at the top of the stairs just control the stair light ? Still need to know what work you have done recently

Last edited:
its not wired wrong because its been working fine for years ,then all of a sudden its doing this . the wall switch at top of stairs should turn the bedroom light on and off , and the pull switch near the bed should also do this . but they only do this if the opposing switch is in the on position ( i think , its actually at a pensioners house , so will check tomorrow) . i have installed a new wall switch and wired it exactly the same with photos and swapped the pull switch with one i had spare but still doing the same . i may try a brand new pull switch tomorrow just incase the one i had was faulty , or could the pull switch i have installed be a one way ? it had the same terminals as the original one , would this cause the same issue ? thanks for your help

its not wired wrong because its been working fine for years ,then all of a sudden its doing this . the wall switch at top of stairs should turn the bedroom light on and off , and the pull switch near the bed should also do this . but they only do this if the opposing switch is in the on position ( i think , its actually at a pensioners house , so will check tomorrow) . i have installed a new wall switch and wired it exactly the same with photos and swapped the pull switch with one i had spare but still doing the same . i may try a brand new pull switch tomorrow just incase the one i had was faulty , or could the pull switch i have installed be a one way ? it had the same terminals as the original one , would this cause the same issue ? thanks for your help
You may think you've wired it the same but it's not guaranteed.
Live can be blue not brown.
Negative can be brown not blue, switch wiring appears to be a free for all, especially when two-way is involved.
@steptoe might have more insight

Is it wired in 3core &E or traditional T&E strappers ,?
It deffo sounds like one of the switches has failed and you have mixed up the wiring when replacing.
Not all switches have the common in the same position, I'm guessing the switch at top of stairs is also a 2 gang, sometimes one switch is "upside down" in comparison to the other switch,
Some pictures might help.

Yes the wall switch is 2 gang , this has been wired as it was before as I took pictures. If I have mixed L1 and L2 up in the pull switch, would that make this happen, the common is in the correct place in the pull switch. Thanks

L1 L2 make no difference, is there also com L1 L2 on the wall switch,? Sometimes they are marked as L1 L2 L3
you taking pictures and actually connecting them the same can be 2 different things.
It sounds like you are a general handyman, rather than a dedicated electrician, not having a go, but this should be a simple fix,
If you are going tomoz PM me and I'll give you my number.
Even though the pull switch has L1 and L2 terminals doesn't mean it is actually a 2 way switch, sometimes manufacturers use the same switch with different internals, a 2way pull switch is actually not very common.

Yes, definitely not an electrician, just trying to save a pensioner some money .the 2 gang wall switch has L1,L2,and com, and one of the switches on the 2 gang works fine , I'm going to try a new pull switch over the weekend and report back .thanks for your help.

I thought you'd already replaced the pull switch once?
Keep changing switches won't make much difference I don't think, it's unbelievably rare to get one duff switch, I'd say it's practically impossible to get two

I'm going to replace the pull switch with a new 2 way one because I'm thinking that the original one was broken and the one I replaced it with, maybe 1 way , as it's one I had in my shed , and cant tell if its 1 or 2 way , thanks.

I'm going to replace the pull switch with a new 2 way one because I'm thinking that the original one was broken and the one I replaced it with, maybe 1 way , as it's one I had in my shed , and cant tell if its 1 or 2 way , thanks.
Do you have any form of continuity tester or multimeter,?

Thanks, I will test for continuity on pull switch, I suppose the same test could be done on wall switch, although this is brand new .
The pull switch does turn the light on and off , but only when wall switch is up or down (I can't remember which) . And the wall switch turns the light on and off but only when pull switch is on or off .if you understand what I mean. Anyway will test tomorrow and let you know.
I have bought new 2 way pull switch and tested it for continuity, as you suggested, I will test the one that's installed tomorrow. Thanks

I'm still fairly sure you have mixed up the connections.
Are they wired using 3 core and earth, or two core and earth,? I did ask this previously, it will make it easier for me to help you if I know the method used to connect the two switches together.
Pictures of how the wires are connected to the switches would help too.

One on the left is looking from under the 2 gang switch and the one on the right is looking from above

Attachments

• 20210813_141510.jpg
    20210813_141510.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210813_141452.jpg
    20210813_141452.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
This is how it was wired originally and the new wall switch had exactly the same connections ( L1,L2,and com) .in the same places on the switch, so it was a straight swap , I will check them again tomorrow but I'm sure they were right , as I kept them in the correct position as I loosened the screws.

Back