amazon firestick to ethernet connection

muttley1964

hi, can anyone help please, i have bought the amazon ethernet adaptor for 4k fire stick, wifi i'm getting 100meg download but when i connect to ethernet adapter i'm only getting 60meg download!,
surely hard wired ethernet should be faster than wifi!, any suggestions please?, thank you..........

hi, can anyone help please, i have bought the amazon ethernet adaptor for 4k fire stick, wifi i'm getting 100meg download but when i connect to ethernet adapter i'm only getting 60meg download!,
surely hard wired ethernet should be faster than wifi!, any suggestions please?, thank you..........
What are you worried about 60 meg download speed is quick and anything you stream on the firestick will not have an issue

Is it the official Amazon ethane adaptor or one cheap ones off like eBay as I found the cheap one would reduce my speed but bought the official Amazon one and was fine.
You could also possibly try a different ethanet cable and is it powered by the tv or plugged into a usb plug as plugged directly into tv dosnt give enough power

Is it the official Amazon ethane adaptor or one cheap ones off like eBay as I found the cheap one would reduce my speed but bought the official Amazon one and was fine.
You could also possibly try a different ethanet cable and is it powered by the tv or plugged into a usb plug as plugged directly into tv dosnt give enough power
yes, its the official adaptor plugged into the mains and also tried a different ethernet cable!.

Just remember there is some circuitry between the ethernet and usb. This could be where the drop is. It could also be how fast data can travel over usb. Wifi speeds have improved with each new version such as b, n ac. etc. It would be interesting to see if anyone else has a data drop in speed. I know when I had an earlier version of the fire stick the ethernet to usb did not really work that well. My nvidia hard wired with speed test shows no drop and i get nearly 400mb.

As @Robbo18 said - the adapter is limited to 100mbps. I think Micro USB 2.0 is only rated to 480mbps, so doesn't meet the requirements to offer gigabit. 100mbps is the best you'll get.

And people on this site argue that wired is always better.

OP, send it back to Amazon and get a refund. Only people with very poor speeds (I'd say under 10mbps) or those using a device a larger distance from their router than what their WiFi signal reaches need these. The fire stick is designed to be a WiFi device, Amazon must laugh every time they sell one of these needless accessories.

Ethernet adapters are an absolute waste of time and money, they stop working most of the time, wifi is a better option as its more stable then an adapter

And people on this site argue that wired is always better.

OP, send it back to Amazon and get a refund. Only people with very poor speeds (I'd say under 10mbps) or those using a device a larger distance from their router than what their WiFi signal reaches need these. The fire stick is designed to be a WiFi device, Amazon must laugh every time they sell one of these needless accessories.
Wired is always better in some instances as it’s direct from router to device and right ethanet cable and port from router.
It’s a kind of swings and slides things as what works for some won’t work for others personally I use an Ethernet all time on most things.
WiFi will be better for some and better speeds but no doubt about it there will be a black spot where signal is weak so ethanet maybe required.
I’ve Amazon original ethanet adaptor and works really well out of 35mbps I get 33.2mbps give and take the loss in speed.
But no one has asked the op what speed test he is using to test his speeds whether it’s ookla one from the IPTV app been used or that analytics I think it’s called which I find that more reliable then others mentioned 😅😅

I agree with @bazcfc1 wired is better, there's always a distance between router and device, I have two Amazon laughed at me adaptors! My internet speed is 65 mpbs on WiFi sticks read 58mpbs and wired 65mpbs and I got occasional buffering, none since hard wiring!

For what it's worth, I had No end of problems with my 4K firestick using Wi-Fi and bought the official Amazon adaptor and after hardwiring device I have yet to encounter any of the problems I was having prior to this. obviously it is a personal matter of choice as whether you agree or disagree but for Me it works and that is all that matters, :sunglasses:

As a matter of interest what as happened to the dedicated Firestick section of the forum, it seems people are posting there Firestick problems everywhere now ,this by no means a Rant but a justifiable question :unsure:

I stated at the start the 60 meg will piss anything on the sticks and anyone who says wifi is better than hard wired is living on planet Mars :ROFLMAO: All the devices on the router will be assigned to one ip address i should think and you can allocate the stick its own ip.

Last edited:
Back