BB being throttled

OK
my riddle has been solved,
got speaking to an Openreach guy yesterday
he said that for the first year or so, maybe its 6 months, he isnt sure,
only BT can use the fibre, its to try and recoup some of the costs of install
so, have arranged to go with BT for now, 74meg for just under £30 month, plus a tenner set-up, and they will put in FTTP
if I wanted the lower 35meg they would just switch it at the pole and it would be something like £23month,

OK
my riddle has been solved,
got speaking to an Openreach guy yesterday
he said that for the first year or so, maybe its 6 months, he isnt sure,
only BT can use the fibre, its to try and recoup some of the costs of install
so, have arranged to go with BT for now, 74meg for just under £30 month, plus a tenner set-up, and they will put in FTTP
if I wanted the lower 35meg they would just switch it at the pole and it would be something like £23month,
Glad your sorted mate was a strange one with regards to your issues

@steptoe , yes good to hear your getting things sorted. I wasn't thinking when you mentioned fibre from pole quite a few were asking the same question on TalkTalk forums why they could not get it or why TalkTalk would not install as it was currently available in there areas.

@steptoe , yes good to hear your getting things sorted. I wasn't thinking when you mentioned fibre from pole quite a few were asking the same question on TalkTalk forums why they could not get it or why TalkTalk would not install as it was currently available in there areas.
it was news to me too
I had originally went with another small BB ISP, shell energy, £23 month for max 20meg, average of about 16 they reckoned,
then when I saw the openreach guy at the cab nearby I stopped and asked him just exactly what they were doing
plain talking bloke, no BS,
so for same price BT would have gave me 35meg,
I can actually get something crazy like 900meg if I wanted to pay over £60month,
but in reality, the 74meg deal is imo good value for money and more than I need

it was news to me too
I had originally went with another small BB ISP, shell energy, £23 month for max 20meg, average of about 16 they reckoned,
then when I saw the openreach guy at the cab nearby I stopped and asked him just exactly what they were doing
I can actually get something crazy like 900meg if I wanted to pay over £60month,
Yeah there always estimated speeds I've spoke to open reach a few times and they've said we give an estimate on what a line is capable of handling we got told our line could handle 80mbps but realistically can handle 36.1 mbps and open reach have rang saying they won't repair the cable we need due to full fibre role out in next 18-24 months

Glad you sorted issue with speeds out mate.

We have 500mb in our area but no 1gig speeds yet but gather not too far away.

it was news to me too
Thats what I'm on i know people like to slag bt off but its absolutely rock solid, I've had no complaints and if you've got gamers in the house the ping is excellent

Good deal you got mate.

At least what have to put up with dire speeds for much longer lol.
thank fk,
8th March apparently
dunno what happens after 17th of this month tho, that was my original switch date until I cancelled with other ISP
might have to get the 4G router set up , lol

thank fk,
8th March apparently
dunno what happens after 17th of this month tho, that was my original switch date until I cancelled with other ISP
might have to get the 4G router set up , lol
As you know I also changed from talktalk to virgin it will be getting fitted tommorrow. Once installed we have just call talktalk have kept my broadband going and they will just charge for exrta days since we cancelled.

As you know I also changed from talktalk to virgin it will be getting fitted tommorrow. Once installed we have just call talktalk have kept my broadband going and they will just charge for exrta days since we cancelled.
ye, going to or from VM its up to householder to cancel when they want to,
its different going that way apparently
totally different cables,
but obviously 'normal' BB uses the telephone cables, and SSE have already been told to cancel on 17th, by the ISP I was originally going to use
I think I just have to wait and see what happens

ye, going to or from VM its up to householder to cancel when they want to,
its different going that way apparently
totally different cables,
but obviously 'normal' BB uses the telephone cables, and SSE have already been told to cancel on 17th, by the ISP I was originally going to use
I think I just have to wait and see what happens
Yes different lines so can have both without interuption till fully cancelled

OK
back to this old chestnut again
I'm due to be connected on Monday,
does anyone know the physically workings of how they run the fibre.?
AFAIAA , they run the fibre to just outside the house, then it gets changed to a more flexible cable to go inside,
the reason I ask is my current cable comes down the front of my house, then goes round the side, and along at low level to the entry point about 3 metres along
if its possible I would conduit this up rerady for them coming, so as to protect the low level cable,
but I'm unsure as to the logistics of where they would want the conduit to start/stop
if they would even use it
they are out between 13:00 and 18:00
I'll be at work until 15:30 so may well not be at home

OK
back to this old chestnut again
I'm due to be connected on Monday,
does anyone know the physically workings of how they run the fibre.?
AFAIAA , they run the fibre to just outside the house, then it gets changed to a more flexible cable to go inside,
the reason I ask is my current cable comes down the front of my house, then goes round the side, and along at low level to the entry point about 3 metres along
if its possible I would conduit this up rerady for them coming, so as to protect the low level cable,
but I'm unsure as to the logistics of where they would want the conduit to start/stop
if they would even use it
they are out between 13:00 and 18:00
I'll be at work until 15:30 so may well not be at home
If it is VM they should clip the cable to the wall of your house all the way around to the entry point. I would just let them install it, and then if you wanted to put it within a conduit later the cable is easily unclipped.

If it is VM they should clip the cable to the wall of your house all the way around to the entry point. I would just let them install it, and then if you wanted to put it within a conduit later the cable is easily unclipped.
its not VM
its fibre
VM wont clip it past the first point of entry they can use, which is at at the front

just to draw a conclusion to this
got my fibre yesterday,
the youngish lad that came to install it was really happy with what I'd done,
I only ran the conduit at low level to about 4" from my inlet point, I had a hole drilled and sleeved ready for him,
said I'd saved hime a lot of hassle
he was really friendly, and put a connection box outside and ran a final connection cable into the house.
went from an average of 12-13meg on a 30meg copper connection @ £36 to getting 65-66meg down and 20meg+ up on a 74meg connection @ £28,
the lad is very happy on his PS5 now,

just to draw a conclusion to this
got my fibre yesterday,
the youngish lad that came to install it was really happy with what I'd done,
I only ran the conduit at low level to about 4" from my inlet point, I had a hole drilled and sleeved ready for him,
said I'd saved hime a lot of hassle
he was really friendly, and put a connection box outside and ran a final connection cable into the house.
went from an average of 12-13meg on a 30meg copper connection @ £36 to getting 65-66meg down and 20meg+ up on a 74meg connection @ £28,
the lad is very happy on his PS5 now,

Thats very good news mate.

Long time to get your issue sorted but main thing is you got there in the end.

Back