BB being throttled

Not worth their while throttling for the sake of 5mb.
I know, and I'd agree with that
but originally we were on copper from the cab, even tho the deal was for 35meg they would only say max 16, min 9
I think they may have throttled so everyone got a fair share of what little they could offer at that time,
I probably got on average 11 or 12 meg realistically
now I hit a steady 13.4 on speedtest, which I would accept as a loss on my network from 14.99 on router
so, my thinking is now its been upgraded to fibre to the pole no-one has changed the settings to give me more speed now its actually available.

I know, and I'd agree with that
but originally we were on copper from the cab, even tho the deal was for 35meg they would only say max 16, min 9
I think they may have throttled so everyone got a fair share of what little they could offer at that time,
I probably got on average 11 or 12 meg realistically
now I hit a steady 13.4 on speedtest, which I would accept as a loss on my network from 14.99 on router
so, my thinking is now its been upgraded to fibre to the pole no-one has changed the settings to give me more speed now its actually available.
they cannot throttle it there is something wrong with your line. That is there reason I am moving from talktalk had two engineers out none came into house because of covide restrictions , and all one did was reset DLM had problems for ages and not willing to wait untill restrictions are lifted. Last time I had problem took them almost a year before thet sent engineer by the time he came I had hard wired the extension line with cat5eand bought home plugs cost £75 for three then.

Have you given it time to settle as they adjust the speed after a week or 2? I had problems with sky like you are having and they got BT to put new line in from pole and it improved no end.

they cannot throttle it there is something wrong with your line. That is there reason I am moving from talktalk had two engineers out none came into house because of covide restrictions , and all one did was reset DLM had problems for ages and not willing to wait untill restrictions are lifted. Last time I had problem took them almost a year before thet sent engineer by the time he came I had hard wired the extension line with cat5eand bought home plugs cost £75 for three then.
OK
so how can I have a problem with my line.?
my router is showing 20 meg available
but max DL speed is 14.99 ,
surely the 14.99 is all that my ISP is allowing my connection to accept.?
this is how I am reading it, maybe I am completely wrong, and this is on a non ISP router, my ISP router wouldnt show me the max available,
this is why I am changing ISP, I think ISPs are doing this wholesale and not telling customers

Have you given it time to settle as they adjust the speed after a week or 2? I had problems with sky like you are having and they got BT to put new line in from pole and it improved no end.
its been over a week now and router still static at 14.99

Feel for you mate. Those speeds are dire.

If you should be getting maximum 20 meg speeds and its only 15 meg speeds then there is an issue somewhere. It does seem like throttling but at the same time why throttle 5 meg?

Btw if you dont mind me asking whos your new ISP?

Feel for you mate. Those speeds are dire.

If you should be getting maximum 20 meg speeds and its only 15 meg speeds then there is an issue somewhere. It does seem like throttling but at the same time why throttle 5 meg?

Btw if you dont mind me asking whos your new ISP?
ISP is SSE, but on copper all ISPs said 16 max and about 12 average
I do agree throttling 5meg seems stupid, but, as above, I think its a legacy thing they done when on copper to make sure everyone got a share of speed
now on FttPole we have more speed and I just think they have not removed the throttle

Guesing BT and VM not available in your area?

Do hope you get your speeds issue sorted out mate.
BT available everywhere, but same openreach cables
VM unrealistic price for the length of contract,
hoping to move this year and the area I am looking at doesnt have VM available,
so wont be able to transfer and have to pay for no service

I thought I read somewhere BT were introducing full fibre from the exchange all the way to the network but doesnt seem like that has materialised.

As you say they are using the poles to carry the cables for the network which tbh is easy work for them and saves them money.

I was getting around 10/12 on copper with sky, they told me l would get 22ish with fibre which finished at the box 3/4 mile away, l had fibre installed and was getting18 ish so l complained as was told l would get about 22mb, so they got BT to check the line and replaced it. Result was 26mb in the end. l am now with VM on200 mb. Happy days for now.

I thought I read somewhere BT were introducing full fibre from the exchange all the way to the network but doesnt seem like that has materialised.

As you say they are using the poles to carry the cables for the network which tbh is easy work for them and saves them money.
I was getting around 10/12 on copper with sky, they told me l would get 22ish with fibre which finished at the box 3/4 mile away, l had fibre installed and was getting18 ish so l complained as was told l would get about 22mb, so they got BT to check the line and replaced it. Result was 26mb in the end. l am now with VM on200 mb. Happy days for now.
I was getting about 12-13 on FTTC about 1&1/2 mile away
now have FttPole and openreach say I should hopefully get 22, their website says 13-26, most ISPs are saying 16-26
I guess I just have to wait until my switch and see what I get then, new ISP is saying 16-26 but expect 20 ,
I'd be happy enough with that in the current situation

Just last week BT have installed 2 new poles on our road for fibre.

I
now have FttPole and openreach say I should hopefully get 22, their website says 13-26, most ISPs are saying 16-26
I guess I just have to wait until my switch and see what I get then, new ISP is saying 16-26 but expect 20 ,

I would give it another week and see if it improves, if not start complaining(y)

Deffinatly worth getting onto them sounds like a simular issue I've had when we was on 40mbps we got 40mbps (with sky) they stopped doing the 40 mbps so had to upgrade fibre to 63mbps.
They ran all tests and said it was fine so upgraded like you do turns out our line can only handle half that we've had open reach out sky out to the issues turns out major fault underground and will cost so many k to run new cable which is been refused by open reach.
My point is if there is any fault maybe underground ect what ever provider you go too the problem will still be there as most isp providers use open reach and you won't have noticed till you upgraded that's what we got told.

@bazcfc1 , that is exactly my problem even at the moment talktalk are doing free upgrade from fibre 35 to faster fibre no point of me even getting it my line cannot handle it,
paying £22 with talktalk that is dicounted price when we signed back up for fibre 35 but only get 19mb to router 17mb download speed at best.

Signed up with virgin through uswitch in fact the virgin rep on the phone told use to go through uswitch ended up with 200mb + free sim card £29 a month + free connection fees. I was going to just go for the 100mb £24.00 + free connection but for £10 twice the speed could not turn it down.

So TalkTalk will keep line going untill switch over and we just pay them the extra for the month.

@bazcfc1 , that is exactly my problem even at the moment talktalk are doing free upgrade from fibre 35 to faster fibre no point of me even getting it my line cannot handle it,
paying £22 with talktalk that is dicounted price when we signed back up for fibre 35 but only get 19mb to router 17mb download speed at best.

Signed up with virgin through uswitch in fact the virgin rep on the phone told use to go through uswitch ended up with 200mb + free sim card £29 a month + free connection fees. I was going to just go for the 100mb £24.00 + free connection but for £10 twice the speed could not turn it down.

So TalkTalk will keep line going untill switch over and we just pay them the extra for the month.
If not getting guaranteed speeds you can leave for free we can but who ever we go to the issue still there as no vm in my area and all rest of isp are all on open reach network

Unfortunately there's no such thing as Fibre To The Pole - Openreach are extending the last mile ready for Fibre To The Premises ready for an uptake on that. When you take it with your provider, they'll remove your copper (or aluminium) dropwire and replace it with a fibre line to a junction box to the exterior of your house which connects directly to a special modem on the interior of your house.
Once you have that you'll have the option of 150 or 300mbps DL speeds.
So you'll still be connected to the Cab by the sounds of it. The difference in Max and Actual speeds could be down to DLM banding. IIRC there's 3 bandings and you're probably on Stable. Probably due to Crosstalk in your Cabinet.
The speedtest you're doing which is slightly lower again is just the throughput speed where losses are expected due to wifi interference etc

Unfortunately there's no such thing as Fibre To The Pole - Openreach are extending the last mile ready for Fibre To The Premises ready for an uptake on that. When you take it with your provider, they'll remove your copper (or aluminium) dropwire and replace it with a fibre line to a junction box to the exterior of your house which connects directly to a special modem on the interior of your house.
So you'll still be connected to the Cab by the sounds of it. The difference in Max and Actual speeds could be down to DLM banding. IIRC there's 3 bandings and you're probably on Stable. Probably due to Crosstalk in your Cabinet.
The speedtest you're doing which is slightly lower again is just the throughput speed where losses are expected due to wifi interference etc
Thats what I was finding confusing, we have fttp which is delivered via the pole but had to have a new fibre line run from the pole and its absolutely rock solid connection that never dips below what I pay for.

There deffo is fibre to the pole, that is how they are giving more people fibre at reduced cost.

And that is what openreach have told me we now have.
I'll take a picture later.

Back