Box keeps Rebooting

On a side note could openATV be the issue?

Reason I ask that is because I never had this rebooting issue on openVIX but this image is no longer updated hence why I moved over to ATV.

If OpenATV was a problem, the forum would be flooded with posts. The "builds" people use are just customisations of images. Most people on this forum use OpenATV.

Disconnect the signal wires from box and leave it on. If it doesn't reboot issue is going to be the signal wire.

If you are adamant it is box, you already have an offer of a free box. Take it.

When you disconnect signal wires altogether to see if reboot still happens you mean both sat and cable feeds?

Trust me I dont want it to be the box as I really dont want another box. But all signs point the box failing.

Yeah Abu means disconnect all cables leave the hdmi and USB connected and sit and watch and wait see if it still happens if it dosnt happen then its your cables if it does happen then its probably your box but as Pablo has mentioned get a new power supply see if does it the or not

I have found couple of power cables lying around with below information on them.

Input 220-240V
50/60Hz 350mA
Output 12V 1.5A

Input 100-240Vac
50/60hz 1.0A
Output DC12V 2A

Are these safe to use on the box?

The tip is the same as what is already in the box.

But both of these plugs dont have the brick power supply with the box atm.

So just want to make sure can test both of these plugs with box without further damage to box.

The tip is the same as what is already in the box.

But both of these plugs dont have the brick power supply with the box atm.

So just want to make sure can test both of these plugs with box without further damage to box.
Wont do further damage mate

Is it just me whose 2nd or 3rd solution is to just reflash the box and see if it happens again? I know that I could probably find out more by searching through the box, but reflashing hasn't let me down yet.

In a PM to me, he said he had unplugged signal wires and box did not reboot.

A software problem 999/1000 will create a log. Hardware problem will just reboot with no log.

But no harm in trying.

Wasnt thinking of reflashing as all I have done is update through menu to latest version. But was wondering if other images could reflash other than VIX or ATV to see if makes any difference.

No log shows when it reboots so may not be image issue but hardware issue whatever that latter is no idea.

When performing a function like changing channels, opening plugins and menus etc, the device will require a little extra power, if the psu is failing it cannot supply this tiny amount of extra power at the time and could be why the box fails.
This doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the box, it needed power that wasn't there so it stopped.
Try a psu equal to or slightly higher ampage to the one you got with the box
Think of it like replacing a car battery, nothing wrong with the car but the battery isn't strong enough to start it

.....hardware issue whatever that latter is no idea.

Hardware= Not software. Something physical. I.e any of the following

Dish
LNB, each port is separate
F-plugs on dish end of cabling. Treat each separately
Cabling. ( A shotgun cable is two cables glued together, so treat each separately)
F-plug on receiver end of cabling. Treat each separately
Receiver
Power supply
HDMI lead

So long as he uses a 12V PSU, It does not matter how high amperage PSU he uses. The amperage on PSU is what it safely can supply, it is not what it constantly supplies. As you said, box draws different current based on what it is doing.

When performing a function like changing channels, opening plugins and menus etc, the device will require a little extra power, if the psu is failing it cannot supply this tiny amount of extra power at the time and could be why the box fails.
This doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the box, it needed power that wasn't there so it stopped.
Think of it like replacing a car battery, nothing wrong with the car but the battery isn't strong enough to start it

Wouldn't the power cables I have be enough power to the box.

There is a lot of suggestions on here and it's a lot to get my head around.

Am trying already tried few of the suggestions.

Wouldn't the power cables I have be enough power to the box.

There is a lot of suggestions on here and it's a lot to get my head around.

Am trying already tried few of the suggestions.
Maybe it has become faulty, maybe it is fine. You are hopefully trying another PSU (the 2 amp one you mentioned) and that will confirm if it is the PSU or not.

The other alternative is to use industrial testing equipment on the PSU and test it under load. We don't have access to that, so trying another PSU is the next best thing. Let us know how you get on.

Remember, it is a process of elimination.

Last edited:
Back