Broadband deals

All the problems I have had with sly and Vm is when I have some sort of tv package, when it comes to the renewal they seem to think that you owe them some sort of loyalty because of the deal you've had and the box they have supplied!! Broadband alone puts you in the driving seat as everybody wants you, so without the tv bit is when I got my first enigma2 box, I think if they said you can have it for free I would say stick it up your ar### before I knew about 3pms I was paying shit loads to watch the Foxes 8 times a year on sly live and getting excited for MOTD on a Saturday night!! You will always get a deal with broadband on its own.
I know what you mean, but the mrs does not really know how to work my h2h, she does not watch much tv, tbf, but I would still like her to have the option, the deal BT has offered is giving that option.

with vodafone r.o.i was paying €45 a month said i was leaving put me on a 12 month contract first 6 free and €45 next 6 month just broadband

I know you've probably done this but have you tried going cold turkey and cancelling and waiting on retentions to phone you back with a good deal?

So been trying to get VM to give me a good deal without a phone line rental for many months now, currently paying them £50 a month for broadband and we have a v6 box with a basic tv package, plus the line rental, which is around £18, basically trying to get them to scrap the phone line rental so we would only pay around £30, we can get a package without a phone but for some reason they are wanting to charge far more than the £50 that we pay now, strange one, bills due to be paid this week so I was thinking of paying up and saying cheerio and looking for a new broadband provider, just wondering what other broadband deals there are out there, that can cover a good internet service around the house and cover the running of 2 boxes , a zgemma h2h and a dreambox, any suggestions welcome.
In London with VM Broadband Only on fibre optic cable originally 2Mbps then speeds gradually increased over the years to 10, 20, 50, 70, 100 now 350Mbps cost £50 month but according to my Fing smartphone app I have 26 devices on the network wired and wireless for gaming and streaming. In Dublin just changed from VM Broadband Only on fibre optic cable 360Mbps €55 month to Vodafone Gigabit Broadband Only on newer fibre optic cable with 1Gb on special offer €25 for first 6 months then €50. I notice several ROI providers offering 1Gb fibre optic broadband deals from €10 month, and the more providers competing the easier it is to negotiate a better deal. If you want a better deal from VM ask for the Retentions Team and tell them you found a better deal and want to leave, see what they offer you, although if they are the only local fibre optic high speed broadband provider I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited:
OK, so after a call from VM this morning, still couldnt offer a good deal, so I told them we would be leaving after next months payment is made, as we are taking a deal with BT, told them we were willing to still pay them for a TV and Broadband service up to around £30 to £35 a month, expecting a call back this evening from their retentions department, thanks to everyone for their input on this matter it was very much appreciated, as per usual TK members know their stuff and have been a great help, but now gonna bring the matter to a close, thanks again.

No matter how much you mention other deals from other providers they simply don't give a toss.

Stuck in contract so can't ger without paying huge penalties.

Not sure how others pay so less but have greater packages.

Just so depressing robbed ripped off blind every month.

No matter how much you mention other deals from other providers they simply don't give a toss.

Stuck in contract so can't ger without paying huge penalties.

Not sure how others pay so less but have greater packages.

Just so depressing robbed ripped off blind every month.
We havent got a contract with them so not too bad that way, never received the call back from the retentions team either.

All these companies only care about new customers
If they can Offer new good deals, they should offer to all

All companies are the same.

Screw over old customers but favour new customers.

I get they want new business but its pure greed plain and simple.

Everyone should be treated fairly.

We havent got a contract with them so not too bad that way, never received the call back from the retentions team either.

Mate customer service from my expeirence in utter crap from all companies be it pre sale or after sale. Thats why I dont believe in "customer service" all lies and talk of a script.

As long as they take your money and make profits from you they got no interest in helping you out.

Couple of hundred quid just to leave them with 6 months left on contract. Bunch of thieving little so and sos.

As I stated not in a contract, we will be leaving when the next bill is paid, our new service will be starting a few days before that, so all sorted now, saving £25 a month.

No moving to BT, VM ended up switching us off yesterday morning, so I rang them up, they said we hadnt paid the bill, which we had as it came out through the direct debit on Monday, so they went to check it out and rang me back a half hour later, apologising and they said it will be switched back on within 3 hours, which it was in 20 mins in fact, they also said retentions would be in touch yesterday evening, still waiting on that one, but glad to have it all sorted now, VM made the decision easy with their rubbish customer service.

It’s worth looking at the Gigabit Broadband revolution in Ireland that started in 2015 by SIRO siro.ie - a joint venture between the state-owned ESB (Electricity Supply Board) and Vodafone. The 100% fibre network is deployed to individual premises using ESB’s electricity overhead and underground infrastructure. It is inserted into existing electricity cable ducts that already exist directly to the home. In some areas, it is simply a matter of stringing a fibre cable to existing overhead power cables. Unlikely to happen in the UK where the electricity network has been privatised and ownership is now split among 9 different companies.
SIRO – Shine Brighter

Back