BT and IPTV

Borzio

Hi guys, quick question re BT fibre broadband and iptv:
I've Sky and it works fine after switching off Sky Shield ( had to use the VPN last weekend but no biggie, that's what it's there for.)
I'm installing a firestick for an elderly relative tomorrow on very limnited finances, the firestick was bought by another family member for him and comes loaded. I'm just the installer
I know the setup stuff, but would ask if BT has a similar setting to SKy Shield that needs turned off, and where I would find it on his BT account/ dashboard, or whatever their terminology is.

thanks for the help as usual.

BT Broadband

On BT Broadband you must disable the SMART SETUP, to do this please follow these steps.

1. Open a web browser on any computer or device connected to your Hub and go to http://bthomehub.home to open the Hub Manager.

2. Select Advanced Settings

3. Enter the admin password. If you haven't changed it then you will find the default password on your Hub settings card on the back of your Hub

4. Select Continue to Advance Settings

5. Select Home Network > Smart Setup

6. Select No to disable Smart Setup & select Apply

OR

BT Web Protect

You can turn off BT Web Protect by logging in to My BT and scrolling down to ‘Manage my extras’ and then selecting Turn Off in the ‘BT Web Protect’ panel within the 'Your included extras' page. It will take up to two hours for your service to be removed

BT Broadband

On BT Broadband you must disable the SMART SETUP, to do this please follow these steps.

1. Open a web browser on any computer or device connected to your Hub and go to http://bthomehub.home to open the Hub Manager.

2. Select Advanced Settings

3. Enter the admin password. If you haven't changed it then you will find the default password on your Hub settings card on the back of your Hub

4. Select Continue to Advance Settings

5. Select Home Network > Smart Setup

6. Select No to disable Smart Setup & select Apply

OR

BT Web Protect

You can turn off BT Web Protect by logging in to My BT and scrolling down to ‘Manage my extras’ and then selecting Turn Off in the ‘BT Web Protect’ panel within the 'Your included extras' page. It will take up to two hours for your service to be removed
Wow!, Kaspas4450, thanks very much for that, glad I asked the question, would never have worked that one out.

One thing to check is their broadband speed, I know someone who recently set up a stick for an elderly friend and it turned out they had basic sky BB (not fibre) and was only getting a couple of mbps so it was hopeless
Thanks, grog68, we're good with fibre as the cousin got him changed over last year. Appreciate the reply.

Thanks, grog68, we're good with fibre as the cousin got him changed over last year. Appreciate the reply.
still set them up with vpn or at least try at their home when football is on save them grieve and yourself in the long run or get back to provider or who supplied them with subscription, a lot on here will understand you are just trying to help . they may not even need vpn hopefully :smiley:

still set them up with vpn or at least try at their home when football is on save them grieve and yourself in the long run or get back to provider or who supplied them with subscription, a lot on here will understand you are just trying to help . they may not even need vpn hopefully :smiley:
Sorry for late reply,urie, good advice. I'm going this morning before the weekend games start, hopefully all will go well....thanks

Morning everyone ,
Just looking for some advice if I may ask ? I have been having issues since the start of the football season using a Nvidia shield and BT(Openreach) full fibre where live TV will only run for approx 45/80 secs then just stops. I have checked the advice given by Kaspas4450 and all my settings are as they should be. Its doesn't matter if I use a VPN or not still the same time period. I would be grateful for any advice you guys can provide plus the supplier is one of the better ones and been using them going two years without an issue until now Just like to add speeds always about 145- 30 ping low 20 ?

are you Using your suppliers own app? if your supplier is one of the better ones do they not have support for you for things like this. when you say live tv stops do you mean every channel or just when the matches are on? Have you tried on another device aswell see if it stops playing after so many seconds?

are you Using your suppliers own app? if your supplier is one of the better ones do they not have support for you for things like this. when you say live tv stops do you mean every channel or just when the matches are on? Have you tried on another device aswell see if it stops playing after so many seconds?
Hi , Yes - Supplier has 3 different app( don't want to mention them incase its again rules) I have tried it on a fire stick , Nanomid & Shield each time stops on all live tv inc footy - movies are fine as I believe they use less bandwidth . Supplier has tried to help but to no avail and believed it maybe Openreach reducing bandwidth on live TV ? Thanks

If you have followed the BT guide here it should be fine people have had issues and this guide has solved their problems. If yours is still the same maybe your suppliers issue mate.

If you have followed the BT guide here it should be fine people have had issues and this guide has solved their problems. If yours is still the same maybe your suppliers issue mate.
Yeah as I say the supplier has been great and the folk I have recommended haven't had any issues - I'm going to get a trial one of the other suppliers to see if the same happens then I will be able to pinpoint if its Openreach/BT .... Thanks for your advice

Hi , Yes - Supplier has 3 different app( don't want to mention them incase its again rules) I have tried it on a fire stick , Nanomid & Shield each time stops on all live tv inc footy - movies are fine as I believe they use less bandwidth . Supplier has tried to help but to no avail and believed it maybe Openreach reducing bandwidth on live TV ? Thanks
does your supplier have an app for your phone? if so try it on there, first using wifi and then using mobile data, see if the same thing happens. Unless your phone is on BT then it may make no difference LOL

does your supplier have an app for your phone? if so try it on there, first using wifi and then using mobile data, see if the same thing happens. Unless your phone is on BT then it may make no difference LOL
They don't have an mobile app as yet but I have tried it using personal hotspot to the shield and it does work better although sky signal isn't the best therefore thats why I'm leaning towards Openreach as I have full fibre and I believe its them that controls it - Is it possible to check bandwidth as speeds seem fine or is speed /bandwidth the same thing ? Oh I have also tried setting up DNS with both bt hub and new router same issue - I'm going to get a monthly pass with another supplier to see if that solves it ?

They don't have an mobile app as yet but I have tried it using personal hotspot to the shield and it does work better although sky signal isn't the best therefore thats why I'm leaning towards Openreach as I have full fibre and I believe its them that controls it - Is it possible to check bandwidth as speeds seem fine or is speed /bandwidth the same thing ? Oh I have also tried setting up DNS with both bt hub and new router same issue - I'm going to get a monthly pass with another supplier to see if that solves it ?
If you have android phone you can install there apk thats on your shield ?

Morning everyone ,
Just looking for some advice if I may ask ? I have been having issues since the start of the football season using a Nvidia shield and BT(Openreach) full fibre where live TV will only run for approx 45/80 secs then just stops. I have checked the advice given by Kaspas4450 and all my settings are as they should be. Its doesn't matter if I use a VPN or not still the same time period. I would be grateful for any advice you guys can provide plus the supplier is one of the better ones and been using them going two years without an issue until now Just like to add speeds always about 145- 30 ping low 20 ?
I have been using bt for over 4 years now with no problem, you need to disable smart settings, if you need any dns changes to the hub! there are not may bt hubs that will accept changes, I bought a TP link router to replace the hub

Back