cable boxes

I have VM broadband in Ireland and I'm looking for a cable box that I can watch 1 channel and record another at the same time. Do I need a twin tuner cable box for this i.e 2 x DVB-C?

I take it that having a combo box with 1 sat tuner (DVB-S2) and 1 cable tuner (DVB-C) such as a Zgemma H2H won't allow me to record tv if all I have connected is my VM cable?

If this is the case can anyone recommend a resonably priced twin tuner cable box? (<£200)

Thanks.

Would it nearly be cheaper to buy and install a cheap satelleite dish and get a twin sat and cable tuner box? Of course then I would probably have to buy seperate lines aswell? And the hassle around installing the dish might not be worth it.

Maybe just better going with the twin cable box you've suggested.

All depends on what you want to watch if your not bothered about sly sports 5 Ireland and sly Atlantic then stick with the cable side of things, if you want all the channels possible go for a combo receiver.
Or like me a twin cable and a single sat tuner that way I can record two HD channel and still watch a 3pm kick off on the sat

I'm not familiar with the gigablue receivers to be honest

Gigablue are decent enough boxes I have set up a few, also well built, the main difference between the two besides the extra tuner is the processor speed (750Mhz compared to 1.3Ghz)

So flicking through channels and scrolling through the EPG will be much quicker on the Miraclebox, you can also add a third tuner to the Miraclebox at a later date if you wished.

Last edited:
Thanks very much, Ithink I am gonna go with the Vu+ and save the small bit of extra cash. Final 2 questions:

1. Should I choose Openvix or another?
2. Do I need any of the additional options to make it work? What is the USB turbo tuner for and do I need that?

Thanks again.

I would suggest openvix yes. The only other things you will need is an external hdd if you want to record and also a coax to f type connector to connect the cable to the box.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

what about kingston 8gb usb stick as you will want that for flashing this box or storing to usb.

I already have a 4gb Kingston USB, would this do for flashing? Or does it need to be a specific 8gb USB? Does the USB need to have anything on it for flashing or should it just be blank or formatted?

Thanks.

That should do, you will only need to flash the box when they change the version of Vix,
otherwise it can be updated over the net.

Back