Techkings

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chinese Chicken Curry

pupuqiop

TK Veteran
Forum Supporter
Chinese Chicken Curry | Community Recipes | Nigella's Recipes | Nigella Lawson

A Chinese chicken curry recipe I found online a few years ago and have made many, many times. I omit the carrots and broccoli, no place for those in a curry imo!

I've passed this recipe on to several people over the years and all agree it tastes like an authentic Chinese takeaway meal

INGREDIENTS
Serves: 3-4
METRICCUPS
  • 4 chicken breasts
  • 1 onion (sliced)
  • 1 small carrot
  • 1 handful broccoli
  • 1 green chilli
  • 1 clove garlic
  • olive oil
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 pinch of pepper
  • medium fresh root ginger
  • 1 bunch spring onions
  • 2 tablespoons cornflour
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 2 star anise
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 500 millilitres chicken stock
  • basmati rice
METHOD
Chinese Chicken Curry is a community recipe submitted by melsmarriott and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.

• Cut the chicken into bite size pieces, season with salt and pepper and add 1tbsp cornflour, stir fry in 1 tbsp oil. Keep aside.
  • Stir fry the chopped garlic, 1 tbsp grated ginger, chopped chilli, onion, carrot and broccoli. After a few minutes add the chicken stock, tumeric, curry powder, star anaise and brown sugar.
  • After about 10 mins add the chicken and cornflour (1tbsp cornflour/2tbsp water) to thicken. simmer for approx 30 minutes.
  • Serve with basmati or egg fried rice and prawn crackers, sprinkle with chopped spring onion if desired.

Last edited by a moderator:

pupuqiop

TK Veteran
Forum Supporter
Never heard of star anaise before had to google it. Not even sure where i would buy it.

Asda, Morrisons, Tesco etc sell it. It's on the spice aisle where the little jars of spices are, usually in a small cardboard box. For better value I buy online or at an Asian supermarket.