Chinese Chicken Curry

pupuqiop

TK Supporter
Chinese Chicken Curry | Community Recipes | Nigella's Recipes | Nigella Lawson

A Chinese chicken curry recipe I found online a few years ago and have made many, many times. I omit the carrots and broccoli, no place for those in a curry imo!

I've passed this recipe on to several people over the years and all agree it tastes like an authentic Chinese takeaway meal

INGREDIENTS
Serves: 3-4
METRICCUPS
  • 4 chicken breasts
  • 1 onion (sliced)
  • 1 small carrot
  • 1 handful broccoli
  • 1 green chilli
  • 1 clove garlic
  • olive oil
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 pinch of pepper
  • medium fresh root ginger
  • 1 bunch spring onions
  • 2 tablespoons cornflour
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 2 star anise
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 500 millilitres chicken stock
  • basmati rice
METHOD
Chinese Chicken Curry is a community recipe submitted by melsmarriott and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.

• Cut the chicken into bite size pieces, season with salt and pepper and add 1tbsp cornflour, stir fry in 1 tbsp oil. Keep aside.
  • Stir fry the chopped garlic, 1 tbsp grated ginger, chopped chilli, onion, carrot and broccoli. After a few minutes add the chicken stock, tumeric, curry powder, star anaise and brown sugar.
  • After about 10 mins add the chicken and cornflour (1tbsp cornflour/2tbsp water) to thicken. simmer for approx 30 minutes.
  • Serve with basmati or egg fried rice and prawn crackers, sprinkle with chopped spring onion if desired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard of star anaise before had to google it. Not even sure where i would buy it.

Asda, Morrisons, Tesco etc sell it. It's on the spice aisle where the little jars of spices are, usually in a small cardboard box. For better value I buy online or at an Asian supermarket.

Back