Finally Took The Plunge - DJI Mini 2

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
I have talked myself out of buying a drone for about 5 years, I kept putting it off as I couldn't defend spending so much on a toy.
However I finally took the plunge and the drone arrived yesterday, charged it up and got out to fly it today - until it started raining.

I went for the DJI Mini 2 drone with the extra batteries, so I have 3 X 31 minute batteries.

Here is a quick snippet from earlier, I was standing in the park, and sent the drone back int o the estate over my house, then back to the park.

They are surprisingly easy to fly straight from the box, but my camera and handling skills need to be a bit more polished.

I have talked myself out of buying a drone for about 5 years, I kept putting it off as I couldn't defend spending so much on a toy.
However I finally took the plunge and the drone arrived yesterday, charged it up and got out to fly it today - until it started raining.

I went for the DJI Mini 2 drone with the extra batteries, so I have 3 X 31 minute batteries.

Here is a quick snippet from earlier, I was standing in the park, and sent the drone back int o the estate over my house, then back to the park.

They are surprisingly easy to fly straight from the box, but my camera and handling skills need to be a bit more polished.
Out of curiosity, what is the range of it from the controller ?

Could never have one in my neck of the woods, it would be shot down :sneaky:

Out of the box, I believe it is 2 KM before it loses signal. it has a 31 minute battery, and can travel at 37 MPH.
Within a couple of years you will be able to send one to tesco for a pint of milk. What sort of money are you talking wheelo

Would love a drone just to be nosey from up in air at all drug raids going off in my area.
Only thing with my area not many places to fly one.

Can see Mr Wheelo making national paper headlines soon lol

Only thing with my area not many places to fly one.
You'd be surprised, you could take off from your garden, then explore your locality. Or, hop in your car, go to the coast, a historic building, a river/lake, Bridges are always good.
with this one there is three 31 minute batteries, so you could be messing about for an hour and a half, before needing to come home.

You'd be surprised, you could take off from your garden, then explore your locality. Or, hop in your car, go to the coast, a historic building, a river/lake, Bridges are always good.
with this one there is three 31 minute batteries, so you could be messing about for an hour and a half, before needing to come home.
What weight and voltage are the batteries?

The pictures are really clear, quite impressive, are there rules where you can and can't fly?

If uav is under 249g . You can fly over crowded areas . But you will still need to have a user I'd. As mentioned .

Got out and did a bit more flying, then edited the video to this:-

Had a bit of fun flying over the locks and under the bridges, was going to fly through one of the gaps at the top of the lock, but the moving water and a slight breeze meant I couldn't hold my position to go through safely (you can see this in the video now that you know what you are looking for). for this video, I was in three different positions, and just tied the videos together.

I also had an interaction with a crane, I flew a short way down the canal with the intention of going under the bridge on the return, but at 2:00 you see a crane on the right hand bank of the canal, then about 5-10 seconds later, he gets spooked by the drone and flies off into mid frame, and off away up the road.

If anyone has any experience of editing videos, what programme were you using? I'm using the free version of VSDC, it's more than a little complicated, but I'll stick it out, unless I find a more user friendly programme.

DU Recorder
Thanks Mate, I'll have a look at it.

Got out today again, I have three good videos, but only two processed so far, here they are...

They were both shot from the Irish war Memorial Gardens close by my house. I had jus t finished when one of the staff informed me that the OPW (similar to your National Trust) do not allow drones to film their property. He wasn't getting Agro, In fact, he told me the best way to see their display of the Cherry blossoms is from the air, and when that would be happening, just telling me to watch out for the boss; LOL

Been out a few times since, got loads of footage - Mostly crap, or can't think what to do with it.
But last week, I jumped into the car and headed out for about 15 minutes to the water resevoir for Dublin and environs - Bohernabreena.
Bohernabreena is actually two lakes, that run off into the Dodder river.
This video is actually 18 minutes long, but I added chapters to it, so you could skip through if you get bored LOL

I also got out today for a little over an hour, temperature was 5 degrees, but with winds of 25kph with gusts of 45kph, it felt significantly colder - I was frozen coming home. I have to go through the footage to see if there is anything usable.

Back