Ford focus mk2 06 reg

userlee5267

TK Veteran
I always service my car every 12 months oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs. But around the 7 month Mark it's used a good litre of oil and a good litre of engine coolant. Its just done 90,000. Does this seem ok?

my car is a heap of crap too and i have to keep putting oil into it but a car should not lose oil,it means there is something wrong.

This fellow seems to know what he is on about in his videos

I always service my car every 12 months oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs. But around the 7 month Mark it's used a good litre of oil and a good litre of engine coolant. Its just done 90,000. Does this seem ok?
Classic valve stem seal failure and burning the oil through the intake etc as for the water there is a load of places on the focus for leaks especially the thermostat housing area or the inbound heater matrix hose.
Any sign of oil in the header tank ?

Thats rules out suspect head gasket then.
Maybe if you can get hold of a compression tester and test the cylinders for premature oil ring wear etc.
Its very hit and miss with ford engines and some go years without using oil or water and some drink it like its out of fashion.

Yeah just start with the cheapest options first but i feel without an obvious oil leak somewhere it may just be burning it and if its still going through emmisions test fine then just leave well alone because it can get expensive pulling cylinder heads for further investigation etc.
Keep using correct grade of oil but try and just buy the cheapest version if it really starts burning through it.
It could still be slight head gasket leak somewhere between the cylinders but same as i say thats when car repairs start to get really expensive.
As for the water usage have a look in the usual places like on top of gearbox below thermostat housing for water stains and down the bulkhead near where the pipes go into heater matrix etc.(y)

Remove spark plugs and inspect them,carbon build usually points to burning oil as oil was let run low and bore has glazed over.
Agree with above comments of water leakage.Coolant that has dried will give a sweet taste in mouth when hot when head is under the bonnet meaning leakage.
Rads also weep and will have dry build up at bottom and it can land on the support bar for rad.
Expansion bottles also go brittle and will leave stains under it.
Burning oil issues when changing oil and filter we use this.

My 19 year old Corolla only had 68,000 miles on her, but at least once a year I'd have to top up the oil between services(if I kept my eye on it, it would have been less, but more often). My mechanic tells me this is normal for it, it never 'burnt oil', or had black smoke, it was an Irish car, it liked a small drink.

My 19 year old Corolla only had 68,000 miles on her, but at least once a year I'd have to top up the oil between services(if I kept my eye on it, it would have been less, but more often). My mechanic tells me this is normal for it, it never 'burnt oil', or had black smoke, it was an Irish car, it liked a small drink.

Luckily it was not a german car that loves oil.

I dont believe in cheap oils and in my 2001 spacewagon i use mobil esp spec,why because it works and cleans the engine and no issues with tappets like other models had.

No blue smoke been underneath today no signs of leaking water or anything. Passed every mot to date just tyres and anti roll bars every year

Back