Getting a new mag box (again)

It's just laziness.
People are loath to learn how a new remote or interface works, when in reality it takes a few minutes, or if the user is 87, it takes 15 minutes.
I've known older people using old boxes to go back to basic Freeview rather than learn how to use a new remote.
Even though the old box they're using is only 7 years old

It's just laziness.
People are loath to learn how a new remote or interface works, when in reality it takes a few minutes, or if the user is 87, it takes 15 minutes.
I've known older people using old boxes to go back to basic Freeview rather than learn how to use a new remote.
Even though the old box they're using is only 7 years old
This is true. But also I found people just want things to work flawless. Certainly with IPTV & with lower end devices if something freezes crashes or does something unusual they'll go back to what works.

I don't honestly understand this bloatware thing.
I have nothing really on my home screen except the apps I actually use. .
It's really not difficult, or very time consuming to turn all that stuff off.
Well , look at the pic , the disney+/freevee/prime , whatever adds at top I don't want/need, the 7 boxes at the bottom ( and loads more below screen ) I don't want/need , the menu bar , icons on left , Home,Live,My Stuff , don't want/need any of those. That's only the home screen :)

IMG_2151.JPG

Well , look at the pic , the disney+/freevee/prime , whatever adds at top I don't want/need, the 7 boxes at the bottom ( and loads more below screen ) I don't want/need , the menu bar , icons on left , Home,Live,My Stuff , don't want/need any of those. That's only the home screen :)

I can't see how any of that is any great hardship though. I use a shield for watching iptv - the Mrs has iplayer, prime, Netflix etc on the home screen for ease of access for her but I honestly barely even look at it. A couple of presses on the remote down and across and I'm on the iptv app.

Interesting mentions of the iptv apps which I could download direct to the tv. I didn't know about them but they look quite handy as an option. Thanks.

As for a separate box, I'm not sure I subscribe to this 'but you can download other apps to it' being an important feature and a reason not to buy a mag box. I've had mag boxes for about eight years and never needed to download an app. The mag boxes may be basic but, from what I can see, they do one thing well and that's kind of the only thing that's of interest here to my wife. If I did need to download something I guess I could either do it direct to the tv or use the Firestick.

From what I can gather, the basicness is the reason they are disliked. So the talk about the security issue isn't something about which I should be concerned.

I appreciate on a tech related forum people like to mess around with settings, setups, try new things, move on from older style devices etc. I still can't see a genuine advantage to another solution in this case though. I disagree with labelling it lazy when here the change would be for changes sake alone with no real extra advantage.

Reactions: m4u
Interesting mentions of the iptv apps which I could download direct to the tv. I didn't know about them but they look quite handy as an option. Thanks.

As for a separate box, I'm not sure I subscribe to this 'but you can download other apps to it' being an important feature and a reason not to buy a mag box. I've had mag boxes for about eight years and never needed to download an app. The mag boxes may be basic but, from what I can see, they do one thing well and that's kind of the only thing that's of interest here to my wife. If I did need to download something I guess I could either do it direct to the tv or use the Firestick.

From what I can gather, the basicness is the reason they are disliked. So the talk about the security issue isn't something about which I should be concerned.

I appreciate on a tech related forum people like to mess around with settings, setups, try new things, move on from older style devices etc. I still can't see a genuine advantage to another solution in this case though. I disagree with labelling it lazy when here the change would be for changes sake alone with no real extra advantage.
Depending on the make and model of your tv you can download certain apps what is your make and model tv.
If you like mags then stick with a mag but one thing to point out is mags/mac are so easy to be hacked and some one else use your sub and not much can be done to protect you from that.
If your isp or your provider ever gets a block when 3pm ko is on and you are using a mag box you will be without tv as you can’t put a vpn onto mags to get around the blocks you would have to pay for a vpn router.
Your correct we all like to tinker with things and each member is going to have their opinion/preference to devices.
There is that old saying happy wife happy life lol.

I was myself a long time mag user and loved them so much at that time that I becta mag reseller from infomir Germany few years ago. Unfortunately mag boxes are no longer the way they used to be and as few mentioned here it can be cloned or cannot add VPN etc.
Consequently I switched to both formuler boxes and buzztv boxes which are for me exactly what I was looking for with so many features and options. And you can even emulate mag boxes by adding STB emu app and add any VPN app. So you have everything in one device.
No regrets although mag box was a leader during its time.

In my opinion instead of spending EUROS over MAG its better to have an Android Box as they have much more features in it as compare to MAG.
MAG is an old technology one will get more updated features in AB.

Just come across this post and read some great information of some very knowledgeable people, what would you rate as your top 3 devices for Iptv please?

Back