Dmait

I got my google nest e today looked a doddle to install. but every manual or wiring diagram on the net including Google’s own manual is different from the actual device. I wil attach pics of google wiring diagram and the nest e device and the original thermostat and google have confirmed it’s compatible.

Attachments

• E680C1FF-4F8C-40F8-A885-19E2A40E1E33.png
    E680C1FF-4F8C-40F8-A885-19E2A40E1E33.png
    483.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 16BE3E70-487F-4417-AC8E-B7EB8BA21816.jpeg
    16BE3E70-487F-4417-AC8E-B7EB8BA21816.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 50CA943E-245D-4CE1-B38B-445D9CAA647C.png
    50CA943E-245D-4CE1-B38B-445D9CAA647C.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • DB36556A-627C-4D09-9881-8D96070529AE.jpeg
    DB36556A-627C-4D09-9881-8D96070529AE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • E433316D-6628-4A86-B3ED-A655C8587247.jpeg
    E433316D-6628-4A86-B3ED-A655C8587247.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 16
How did you get on with this?

I did really well, got one yesterday and followed instructions, compatibility site indicated was combatible with my boiler. Wired it up and nothing - boiler is dead no power. It runs off my kitchen sockets circuit, nothing blew but thought I would change the fuse in the fused switch just incase, that was only a 3amp in there, smallest replacement i could find was 5amp, put that in and that blew, tripped the circuit. So put 3amp back in, reconnected old thermostat (wireless receiver) and now waiting for british gas to come out and fix the boiler, I hope their homecare package covers it.

Google say it's easy to DIY, it appears it's not lol

ok power back on, fuse blown start again tomorrow
Worser then electricians I’ve had out for 6 months trying to find a fault after all fekking about they finally found it today 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I tried to tell them where it was but they was adamant it wasn’t where I said🙈🙈🙈

Lots of so called self proclaimed electricians can't install boiler controls,
Most of them are monkey see, monkey do, and don't actually understand what they are doing.
In fact, any stat can be made to work with any boiler, if you understand what you are doing, and not simply following a diagram.
@grog68 bang up a pic of what you have,? Originally or otherwise.

Lots of so called self proclaimed electricians can't install boiler controls,
Most of them are monkey see, monkey do, and don't actually understand what they are doing.
In fact, any stat can be made to work with any boiler, if you understand what you are doing, and not simply following a diagram.
@grog68 bang up a pic of what you have,? Originally or otherwise.
this is how it is with the orriginal thermostat which is a wireless thermostat so just the receiver connected to boiler.

1637962880270.png
The way I understand it, the black and grey wires are needed for the Nest (C and NO connections) and the blue and brown are not required as the nest is powered by battery.

It's probably me being all fingers and thumbs and the blue and brown possibly touched hence blowing the fuse. I am going to retry tomorrow,

this is how it is with the orriginal thermostat which is a wireless thermostat so just the receiver connected to boiler.

View attachment 68054
The way I understand it, the black and grey wires are needed for the Nest (C and NO connections) and the blue and brown are not required as the nest is powered by battery.

It's probably me being all fingers and thumbs and the blue and brown possibly touched hence blowing the fuse. I am going to retry tomorrow,
Ye, that's a good rf stat btw, a rebadged Honeywell sold by plumb centre,
And you are correct, the black and grey are across your stat connections in the boiler, brown and blue not required, put them in separate block connectors is best solution.
Doubtful you would have damaged the boiler.

Sounds like theirs no continuation of circuit and that's what's blew the circuit. Did you just disconnect live and neutral or did you put them in connector blocks?

Sounds like theirs no continuation of circuit and that's what's blew the circuit. Did you just disconnect live and neutral or did you put them in connector blocks?
the nest comes with little terminal blocks, I put them in there, separately. I suspect they weren't in properly as it was getting late and was rushing a bit, and they may have been touching.

Stupid question possibly but can you rewire the old one up to see if everything still works. I reckon the fused socket is not rated high enough for the voltage for the nest. Do you know the power consumption difference?

Stupid question possibly but can you rewire the old one up to see if everything still works. I reckon the fused socket is not rated high enough for the voltage for the nest. Do you know the power consumption difference?
yes, did that yesterday and after replacing the fuse all works, the nest is battery powered so don't think that's the issue.

A stat takes less than half an amp, probably something in the region of a tenth of an amp, neglible tbh.
I'd reckon @grog68 is correct in his thoughts of having a stray strand touching.

Least you haven't done any damage to the boiler that's the main thing. Can you take a picture of the wiring of the nest now mate

Could be worth nipping out to screwfix and getting 2 individual connector blocks to eliminate that as a reason

View attachment 68054

Check in the boiler that whoever installed it has the blue and brown the right way around, you have them correct in the pic but check the other end.
It wouldn't be the first time

Check in the boiler that whoever installed it has the blue and brown the right way around, you have them correct in the pic but check the other end.
It wouldn't be the first time
Think that's the original thermostat mate and that's working so should be fine

Found this guide mate I don't know if it will help but could be worth a watch

Least you haven't done any damage to the boiler that's the main thing. Can you take a picture of the wiring of the nest now mate
No, that was my main concern, had booked BG to come out and have a look at boiler but then though I would a right dick if it was something like the fuse, so popped and got one and now cancelled BG and don't look like a dick, well no more than normal.
Could be worth nipping out to screwfix and getting 2 individual connector blocks to eliminate that as a reason
Yes, I have some choc blocks in the shed so going to use them, just need to get of my arse and do it,.

ok we're getting somewhere (y)

never give up, the nest receiver or whatever they call it is now connected to the boiler and using the button on the front it turns heating on and off, now the the remote thermostat is dead, I unplugged it the other day and packed it all back in the box, took it out today and its dead so got to wait for it to charge before can finish setting up.

Back