Help to reteive data from failed SSD drive

catman65

Hi
Can someone help/advice me how to retrieve data for a failed SSD drive please?
I was organizing my home photos on an external SSD but accidentally knocked the USB cable when i reached for a pencil. My SSD now no longer shows up on my file explorer/my computer; the laptop detected the usb input but not the SSD drive. I installed it on my other laptop as a second drive and still nothing showed up. Checked in Windows disk management and still no luck.
I tried both on Windows as well as Linux mint, and the result is still the same.
It's a OCZ 240G drive,

Many thanks

The old freezer trick could be worth trying if all else has failed. SSD in sealed food bag in freezer for an hour or so

Have you tried plugging in the ssd drive into another port eg especially on front instead of rear as sometimes that can help also try program called recuva to retrieve data from accidentally deleted drive

Have you tried plugging in the ssd drive into another port eg especially on front instead of rear as sometimes that can help also try program called recuva to retrieve data from accidentally deleted drive
Thanks for the reply.
I tried everything i could think of, all the usb ports on Linux and Windows 7 & 10 Laptops as well as attaching it as a slave drive. I think the problem was on the electronic part. I was using the drive but accidently knocked the USB cable which cut/stop the power supply to the drive, when I put it back in there was no more light shown on the drive - dead. The software won't be able to scan the drive as it was not registered or visible on the system.

Last edited:
Have you tried another usb lead in case you damaged that along with into different port
I think it quite strange that drive appears broken and suspect the pc has lost port connections
There are some ways where you delete the ports and switch off machine and then plugin the device and the pc then reinstalls ports
I did this once for a device and it was then recognised. Assume you have tried searching for new device and it was not found so worth trying delete port via device manager

The drive was connected using a USB3 SATA Adapter. I've tried 2 different cables and also as a slave drive inside one of my laptop but still no luck. I know the cable was working because there was light shown on the adapter but not on the drive itself. It's not the ports because when i swabbed it with other drive, it's working.
All i had on that SSD are JPEG files but i still have my RAW files back up on another drive, I was lucky really.
Many hanks for your reply.

I'm thinking there's not enough juice to power up the drive from USB. Are you using an external power supply or driving it directly via the USB port? Normally a HDD/SSD is powered directly from the PSU when connected internally or via the mains when connected externally. I know you can get these adapters meaning you can plug and play but IMO they seem dubious.

I'm thinking there's not enough juice to power up the drive from USB. Are you using an external power supply or driving it directly via the USB port? Normally a HDD/SSD is powered directly from the PSU when connected internally or via the mains when connected externally. I know you can get these adapters meaning you can plug and play but IMO they seem dubious.
I did install it as a slave drive inside one of my laptop that have 2 drives bay and that did work either. Maybe I could try it with additional power source to the adapter later on when I could find where i kept it.
Thanks for the reply

I've been intrigued by this and done a bit of digging around. It may be bad news though. According to what I read, nand chips do not like power interruption especially when they're writing data. It's possible the drive completely failed on power loss.

I've been intrigued by this and done a bit of digging around. It may be bad news though. According to what I read, nand chips do not like power interruption especially when they're writing data. It's possible the drive completely failed on power loss.
I just tried it with additional power to the drive adapter and still no luck.
I did a lot of reading on internet and came across many comments like you've mentioned.
The SSD drive is maybe faster than normal SATA drive but don't last long because of this issue, especially when you use it as an external drive.
Thank you everyone for your time and reply

Sounds more like an electrical short if the cable was knocked. I blew a Samsung drive doing something similar.

Back