Home plugs for internet

Anth1

I need a faster way of getting internet via Ethernet to my zgemma. Currently using bt home plugs that send the internet down your phone line.
Getting buffering when I log onto zegemma speed test plug in I’m getting speeds of 5 and 6 mbps.
Where as a speed test on my phone connected to WiFi I’m getting 50 to 60 mbps

Try a different set of home plugs, I use them for streaming IPTV and they work fine, mine are a very old set of TP=Link AV200's and they work perfectly. Not only do they feed my IPTV but also another wifi node for downstairs, throughput using them is fine.

Failing that the only way you'll get it any faster is to run an ethernet cable between your router and box.

EDIT - do you have them connected using a 4 socket extension, if so these have an impact on the transfer rate as well. Home plugs use the earth wire of the electrical system, if your earthing is poor you'll need to rewire it to get the home plugs to work well.

Cheers lads the router is to far away to allow Ethernet cable.
I do have it plugged into a 4 way extension but I’ve no way around this other than wire a new plug socket. It’s a rented house so doubt I’d get permission.

Last edited:
Cheers lads the router is to far away to allow Ethernet cable.
I do have it plugged into a 4 way extension but I’ve no way around this other than wire a new plug socket. It’s a rented house so doubt I’d get permission.
They sell 30m ethernet cables at argos.
You can get longer ones on www

I don't think homeplugs work well in extension cables. If you have a double socket, can't you plug what ever is in the second socket into the extension and then plug home plug into the wall?

I have BT homeplugs in 4 rooms and not had any issues with IPTV on any of the boxes using them

Try a different set of home plugs, I use them for streaming IPTV and they work fine, mine are a very old set of TP=Link AV200's and they work perfectly. Not only do they feed my IPTV but also another wifi node for downstairs, throughput using them is fine.

Failing that the only way you'll get it any faster is to run an ethernet cable between your router and box.

EDIT - do you have them connected using a 4 socket extension, if so these have an impact on the transfer rate as well. Home plugs use the earth wire of the electrical system, if your earthing is poor you'll need to rewire it to get the home plugs to work well.
Good point (y)

It might be worth trying the home plugs you have without using the extension, if the speed improves it a problem with the 4 socket extension. Before you spend more money on new homeplugs buys a really long ethernet cable and try it between your box and router, again check the speed.

At least by doing these tests you are working out where and what the problem is.

I need a faster way of getting internet via Ethernet to my zgemma. Currently using bt home plugs that send the internet down your phone line.
Getting buffering when I log onto zegemma speed test plug in I’m getting speeds of 5 and 6 mbps.
Where as a speed test on my phone connected to WiFi I’m getting 50 to 60 mbps
Erk. Sounds like an earth problem in your house wiring to me :unsure:. Home plugs should out perform WiFi all day long. My understanding of a ring main is so named because each socket is daisy chained into the next one and goes back to the main fuse box. Therefore the power in your sockets is supplied in two ways, both by the feed and the return to your fuse box, that is why it is called a ring main. Powerline adapters (Home plugs) use the earthing system in your house to provide the broadband. If any one of the sockets that is daisy chained has a poor earth then you will have problems.

Thanks for the replies. Ethernet cable would need to go through 2 walls not sure the landlord would allow this. The property was rewired a few years ago so I’d think the earthing would have been tested and be fine the router is actually plugged into an extension lead then the 4 way plugged into that from what people are saying this sounds like the problem with the home plugs but I’ve no way really around this as the phone line is in the hall with no sockets near

Thanks for the replies. Ethernet cable would need to go through 2 walls not sure the landlord would allow this. The property was rewired a few years ago so I’d think the earthing would have been tested and be fine the router is actually plugged into an extension lead then the 4 way plugged into that from what people are saying this sounds like the problem with the home plugs but I’ve no way really around this as the phone line is in the hall with no sockets near

1. Does the 4 way (normally called a 4 gang) have a surge protector built into it? - that may cause a problem. They are the type you plug pcs into like this rwfrwf.JPG
  2. If you turn the power off and put a circuit tester in both the 4 gang earth (any one of them) and the earth that the router is plugged into the meter should read 100% if they are coupled up.
  3. There is a WiFi dongle that plugs into the zgemma that would do away with ethernet altogether. As your speedtest is so high (50 to 60 mbps) this would be your cheapest 1st fix USB WiFi Wireless Antenna Dongle for PC Laptop Zgemma Receiver Online 2.4ghz for sale online | eBay

IM getting more confused now bought a netgear n300 WiFi range extender boasting speeds upto 300mbps. I get 50 to 60mbps checking WiFi via my phone yet e2 Speedtest on zegemma says it’s getting anywhere from 3 to 7 mbps.
Is this e2speed test wrong? Currently my iptv seems fine not tried any streaming sites

IM getting more confused now bought a netgear n300 WiFi range extender boasting speeds upto 300mbps. I get 50 to 60mbps checking WiFi via my phone yet e2 Speedtest on zegemma says it’s getting anywhere from 3 to 7 mbps.
Is this e2speed test wrong? Currently my iptv seems fine not tried any streaming sites
Your e2 box is not connected to WiFi! If you are having to use an extension it will only work if you use the ones with pass through plug holes and your router would be needed to be in the same socket as powerline! And your box the same one as powerline!

Your e2 box is not connected to WiFi! If you are having to use an extension it will only work if you use the ones with pass through plug holes and your router would be needed to be in the same socket as powerline! And your box the same one as powerline!
Hi the netgear n300 model Is a wireless extender they claim speeds upto 300mbps. The Ethernet cable then goes from here to the zegemma. The box is connected and working however when I go to the plug in on the zegemma e2 speed test it says in getting download speeds from 3 to 7mbps
Like I say iptv is playing fine just now just really concerned at such low speeds will give me problems. I’m not using the pass through plugs now I bought this to replace them

Hi the netgear n300 model Is a wireless extender they claim speeds upto 300mbps. The Ethernet cable then goes from here to the zegemma. The box is connected and working however when I go to the plug in on the zegemma e2 speed test it says in getting download speeds from 3 to 7mbps
Like I say iptv is playing fine just now just really concerned at such low speeds will give me problems. I’m not using the pass through plugs now I bought this to replace them
Sounds like your broadband is being throttled! Try putting the cable from the extender into something else like laptop and try speed test on another device!

Back