Home plugs for internet

Hi the netgear n300 model Is a wireless extender they claim speeds upto 300mbps. The Ethernet cable then goes from here to the zegemma. The box is connected and working however when I go to the plug in on the zegemma e2 speed test it says in getting download speeds from 3 to 7mbps
Like I say iptv is playing fine just now just really concerned at such low speeds will give me problems. I’m not using the pass through plugs now I bought this to replace them

So you have the netgear n300 as the slave (ethernet connected to the zgemma) and another compatible netgear device as the master (ethernet connected to the router) I don't have time right now but later today I will post a drawing of a simple solution to connect the two which totally bypasses your existing earth system which normally connects the two devices.

No need for a drawing as I think you will get the drift of this. We are still trying to diagnose the problem . If you do this a eureka moment might be in sight. :unsure:

Buy one of these vfvrv.JPG and plug it into the socket where the router is. Plug the master netgear device into it and couple it to the router with an ethernet cable. Buy a cable reel with a cable long enough to reach your zgemma and also plug it into your vfvrv.JPG Run the cable reel into the room where the slave device is and plug the slave into the cable reel. The master device will now connect to the slave device using the earth wire in the cable reel, and NOT the house/flat wiring. Now connect the slave to the zgemma using an ethernet cable. You should now have the same speed to the slave device that the master device has in BOTH ethernet and WiFi. If this works the problem is diagnosed as the building's earth system and you could take the gear back to where you bought it :LOL:

If not we will at least know it isn't that.

This is a two way block splitter but three way ones are available.
Eagle 13 A 2-Way Block Socket Splitter Mains Adaptor: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Last edited:
Sounds like your broadband is being throttled! Try putting the cable from the extender into something else like laptop and try speed test on another device!
How do you mean throttled ? By the isp? I’m getting 50 to 60mbps via my phone connected to WiFi I will try my laptop plugged into this extender and run a speed test thanks

So you have the netgear n300 as the slave (ethernet connected to the zgemma) and another compatible netgear device as the master (ethernet connected to the router) I don't have time right now but later today I will post a drawing of a simple solution to connect the two which totally bypasses your existing earth system which normally connects the two devices.
Hi the netgear is wireless model number is ex2700 if you’d like to look it up. Basically this is plugged in near the zegemma connected to the zegemma via Ethernet then connects to router/modem via WiFi.

I was trying bt homeplugs however the 3 way adaptor won’t get round the extension lead needed to connect the router to power I have no power socket near the phone socket hence why I bought the netgear wireless thinking this would solve my issue

How do you mean throttled ? By the isp? I’m getting 50 to 60mbps via my phone connected to WiFi I will try my laptop plugged into this extender and run a speed test thanks
Its possible your isp could be throttled but I think unlikely! As you are using a a WiFi extender and your problem is with that! Try what Basejumper has suggested, but in my opinion I don't think the extender is the answer as its real purpose is to extent the WiFi around the house! When they are used for that purpose alone they break down often and have to be reconnected to your network, I used a Huweui one and in the end binned it.
The answer is power lines or direct Ethernet in my opinion, the lines can work with extensions if set up right.

You said in post #17 that your iptv on the box in the conservatory is now playing fine.
Problem solved, no need to stress over nothing, whether the speed test is accurate or not is irrelevant

No need for a drawing as I think you will get the drift of this. We are still trying to diagnose the problem . If you do this a eureka moment might be in sight. :unsure:

Buy one of these View attachment 45925 and plug it into the socket where the router is. Plug the master netgear device into it and couple it to the router with an ethernet cable. Buy a cable reel with a cable long enough to reach your zgemma and also plug it into your View attachment 45925 Run the cable reel into the room where the slave device is and plug the slave into the cable reel. The master device will now connect to the slave device using the earth wire in the cable reel, and NOT the house/flat wiring. Now connect the slave to the zgemma using an ethernet cable. You should now have the same speed to the slave device that the master device has in BOTH ethernet and WiFi. If this works the problem is diagnosed as the building's earth system and you could take the gear back to where you bought it :LOL:

If not we will at least know it isn't that.

This is a two way block splitter but three way ones are available.
Eagle 13 A 2-Way Block Socket Splitter Mains Adaptor: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Called a double adaptor I had to click link where I come from any way knows as double adaptor

Called a double adaptor I had to click link where I come from any way knows as double adaptor
They were known as plug doublers as well. Home plugs are now powerline adapters. A tail gate is now a lift gate. A router is a hub and I heard someone refer to a moon roof on his new car. Oh well best take the k9 out for a walk...

You said in post #17 that your iptv on the box in the conservatory is now playing fine.
Problem solved, no need to stress over nothing, whether the speed test is accurate or not is irrelevant
Yes spot on, the old adage 'If it aint broke don't fix it' works for me as well. (y)

I agree with the above if it's working Ok now, then don't fret.

But I was 'fretting' reading this thread, the amount of 'talking at crossed purposes' was incredible
along with 'getting your wires crossed' took the biscuit . :smiley:

The latter being true in its literal sense. HomePlugs AV2 will work perfectly well just using Live and Neutral as per HomePlug AV spec., albeit
slower and probably losing MIMO. Obviously assuming the same phase is employed.

Devolo from Germany has made proprietary improvements on the standard (HomePlug AV2), and are using the ground wire in addition to phase and neutral.

I agree with the above if it's working Ok now, then don't fret.

But I was 'fretting' reading this thread, the amount of 'talking at crossed purposes' was incredible
along with 'getting your wires crossed' took the biscuit . :smiley:

The latter being true in its literal sense. HomePlugs AV2 will work perfectly well just using Live and Neutral as per HomePlug AV spec., albeit
slower and probably losing MIMO. Obviously assuming the same phase is employed.

Devolo from Germany has made proprietary improvements on the standard (HomePlug AV2), and are using the ground wire in addition to phase and neutral.

All true (y). But the topic heading was home plugs for internet whereas the ex2700 is not actually a home plug component and nobody bothered to check :unsure:. Most threads of this type are join the dot puzzles and it is always best to come late to the party for punditry.

No one picked up on the initial error and I personally after Speed reading on my mobile went off down blind alleys.

These problems are always fixed eventually after more info is teased out and Old head Pablo had the solution - if it ain't broke don't fix it. Well done him.

All true (y). But the topic heading was home plugs for internet whereas the ex2700 is not actually a home plug component and nobody bothered to check :unsure:. Most threads of this type are join the dot puzzles and it is always best to come late to the party for punditry.

No one picked up on the initial error and I personally after Speed reading on my mobile went off down blind alleys.

These problems are always fixed eventually after more info is teased out and Old head Pablo had the solution - if it ain't broke don't fix it. Well done him.
I sussed it wasn't a powerline! But you did cure my insomnia with your illustrated essays! I read one post each night for an hour before going to bed, cheers!!

Hi Anth,
I have uploaded a resource that should identify the WiFi problems you have. This is a PC version but there are a few android versions I can point you to.. The instructions are in illustrated Essay format so Toddy2 can get some sleep. :LOL:

WiFi analyzer - Vistumbler

The zipped APKPure file below is an android (.apk) version and downloaded from a reliable source but is untested. There are other versions inc this one available to download directly to your device from google play or similar.

android.JPG

Attachments

• APKPure_v3.16.5_apkpure.com.zip
    11.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back