How To : Install Multi LNBs on one dish

steptoe

VIP Member
OK,
so, I dont know if this will be of any use or not, but I thought I'd do a bit of a guide on how to install more than one satellite on one dish.
this guide is mainly aimed at 13e 19e and 28e , and using a 65cm dish.
but can be transposed to any other combination you wish.
in my experience, you will not be able to get any sats closer than 6 degrees , not using a 65cm dish anyway, it simply isnt possible.
BTW, I would recommend if you want to do this to use an 80cm dish minimum if you can, it is a push on a 65cm dish, NW England.

1 : decide what satellites you would like to try and receive, then go here , and see if it is realistically possible with the dish size you will use, remember, your dish will NOT point directly at any one sat, so even if it says it is possible on a 65cm dish, you may need to go up a size.
EDIT : the 3 sats we are looking at here , 13e , 19e and 28e all are possible on a 50cm dish, its a push to get them on a 65cm dish as non of them are dead centre, so 80cm minimum recommended for satisfactory performance.

2 : have a look here and check if you actually have sight to the satellites you would like to receive

3 : decide how many satellites you would like to get, and how many boxes you wish to use, then you need to buy some equipment

4 : for 3 satellites, and one box, you will need 1 x Diseqc 3way switch [I've never seen a 3way Diseqc switch, so you will need a 4way], and 3 x single output LNBs, use good quality 0.1dB LNBs , remember, you will probably not be pointing at any one satellite, so you need as much gain as you can get
if you have 2 boxes, then it will be dual output LNBs and 2 x diseqc switches, etc if you have more boxes.
you will also need one of these [ same item ], or you could actually make one if you were that way inclined, as this was my first multi LNB set up I bought one.

5 : order some gear, personally in my setup I have used CT100 shotgun and RG59 cable, the choice of cable is up to you, as long as it is good cable, one of my runs in CT100 is well over 30m
WF100 is as good as [if not better in some peoples opinion] as CT100

6 : getting your dish up , if you have an existing SLY dish then make some references to where its is pointing, and the elevation.
if this is a new install, then have a look at the previous link at satbeams for some elevation angles, and set you dish for the middle one. Remember, most scales on dishes are not too accurate, so do not worry too much about the last 1/2 degree.

7 : mounting the bracket, very important, VERY IMPORTANT, I cant stress this enough, it must be plumb and square, otherwise you will simply open a massive can of worms as you move your dish to try and find the different sats.
obviously you already know where you are mounting your dish, as you have zoomed in on your mounting point in post #2

8 : you have already set the elevation as per previous, now, set you middle sat LNB to the central point of your dish,
and get that dish mounted on your bracket.

9 : ok tricky bit, depending on box type, I'll start with E2 boxes, will put older boxes at the bottom, [ I have this on both an E2 and an older F5, so it works fine]
E2 box, you should have a reasonably good idea where to point if you have followed the above links,
menu>set up>tuner config>automatic
do NOT set the tuner for any particular sat,
we are still trying to find any sat just now

10 : try a lock on a sat , if it finds anything, good, then we know which way to go, if it finds nothing, then we go hunting,
btw, if you have any sort of sat meter this can help a lot, use it to find a sat, any sat, then search for a lock again.
TIP, NEVER have your sat meter in front of the dish, always behind, and at least a meter below preferrably.
BTW, to have a better chance, you can fit both your other LNBs either side at this time, also have them set to automatic, hopefully that way one of them will have a lock on a satellite.
otherwise its a matter of making a reference mark and start moving slightly in one direction, it is very important to not make random or massive moves at this stage.
remember, 1mm down here is miles in space.!

11 : if your lucky like me you will have got a sat right away, only I found 23 and I thought I had 19,,,,,, so, now comes the strange bit, tune the middle sat in first, so, as I had 23, and wanted 19 I moved my dish right [ looking from rear of dish]
once you have the middle sat sorted we are good to go for the other 2, or 3

12 : ok, so you have 19e in the center , we now have to have a mirror image in our head, think about a snooker ball bouncing off a cushion,
dish face on, 28 goes to the left, 13 goes to the right,
13 will be right up tight to 19 BTW, 28 will be a lot closer than you think,
start tight up, then move out slightly until you get a signal.you will get a signal on 28 for about 2 inches of movement, but a load of TPs will pixelate until you hit the sweet spot.

I've never done anything like this before, or a tutorial on a forum ,
so, if I have missed anything just ask.

Last edited:
Very well documented tutorial mate I live in South Yorkshire (rotherham) how would I find out what Sats I would be able to get ive clicked on where it says here in your thread but don't understand it mate any pointers for mate would be very much appreciated thinking of getting a euro sub ive got the standard sly dish what they put up

Very well documented tutorial mate I live in South Yorkshire (rotherham) how would I find out what Sats I would be able to get ive clicked on where it says here in your thread but don't understand it mate any pointers for mate would be very much appreciated thinking of getting a euro sub ive got the standard sly dish what they put up

ok, so your at satbeams,
along the top click on a sat, ie: 19e
it will show you a footprint, so zoom in on the map and move it around until you can see your rough area, then click on where you live [rough idea]
a box will open up telling you recommended dish size etc,
19e has been well documented as being easily available on a standard s*y minidish, I couldnt comment on every TP or quality though, but I get it in excellent quality as centre sat on a 65cm and I'm slightly higher elevation than you, Manchester/Bury

when I get a chance I'll do a basic one on how to add 19e to a 28e/s*y mindish for under £30 if you can do a bit of DIY

ok, so your at satbeams,
along the top click on a sat, ie: 19e
it will show you a footprint, so zoom in on the map and move it around until you can see your rough area, then click on where you live [rough idea]
a box will open up telling you recommended dish size etc,
19e has been well documented as being easily available on a standard s*y minidish, I couldnt comment on every TP or quality though, but I get it in excellent quality as centre sat on a 65cm and I'm slightly higher elevation than you, Manchester/Bury

when I get a chance I'll do a basic one on how to add 19e to a 28e/s*y mindish for under £30 if you can do a bit of DIY
Will give it a go mate shouldn't be too hard lol I changed lnb port my self from a four to an eight and did cabling my self cheers for replying and explanation steptoe

Changed my centre LNB , 19.2e , to a slimline one,
That allowed me to move 13e over a little more, there seems to be some fairly weak TPs on 13e, I now get those as well as a better SNR on the others.

nice guide steptoe :(y): just ordered a 85cm zone2 kit and 2x extra lnbs
what kind of diseqc switch did you use i was looking at the 4way technomate ones would they be ok?
after the probs i had with vm splitters i thought i would ask

nice guide steptoe :(y): just ordered a 85cm zone2 kit and 2x extra lnbs
what kind of diseqc switch did you use i was looking at the 4way technomate ones would they be ok?
after the probs i had with vm splitters i thought i would ask

Yep, I used technomate diseqc, you will need one switch for each tuner, so if you have a twin tuner box, you need dual LNBs and 2x diseqc switches,

I need to recheck my cables and diseqc as fed up with no free tuner ,still got 2 rolls of cable for use.Thinking get my dish moved from 13-19.2 and use a few more feeds+add an aerial for saorview.

great tutorial @steptoe am I right in thinking if you have two twin tuner boxes, you would need quad LNB's and 4 diseqc switches ?

yes,
I messed up a bit there really,,,,,
you need a diseqc for every tuner you want to use, and an LNB output for every tuner also,
I've actually settled for having everything through my primary box and my secondary using fallback, with only 19 on my second box [ thats my main viewing ]
works OK as long as you dont want to watch 2 different channels on sats plus record on another one at same time.
basically, to get back to your question,
2 x twin tuners = 4 tuners, so quad LNBs and 4 x Diseqc , 1 for each tuner to have full usage of everything,

Back