Internet speed recommended for iptv and streaming?

If I was recommended providers then maybe I’d be able to pick some.
internet providers or iptv for iptv take some tests as has been advised as for internet providers no one can really answer that it may depend on where you stay and if they can provided service to your property some may promise all but it does not always work out like that,

even when I was with talktalk broadband and after spending quite a bit of money trying various things home plugs,

running cat5e cable from master socket to next to computer bt tests showed my line was capable of 68mb all I ever got was 19mb on a good day and it took them more than a year to eventually send out a BT engineer. And stil no joy so went with virmin they were there within a few days and all good now.

I’m looking for advice on what internet speed is adequate for streaming and iptv, which will help me to choose an internet provider. So why would I need to post new isp’s speed before before even getting any advice on choosing one with recommended speeds?
Ok. People getting excited. I would advise 10 meg wired connection for FHD and at least 25 meg wireless.

What is never mentioned is ping which should be around 20 or below ideally. If you are on full fibre like virgin you will easily be achieving these speeds. But investment for good WiFi may be needed.

Ok. People getting excited. I would advise 10 meg wired connection for FHD and at least 25 meg wireless.

What is never mentioned is ping which should be around 20 or below ideally. If you are on full fibre like virgin you will easily be achieving these speeds. But investment for good WiFi may be needed.
No one's getting excited, the op is ditching 200mbps Virgin broadband and is looking for something more suitable for streaming Emmerdale farm.
Of course we don't know if there's twenty people in the house, gaming, streaming and watching YouTube videos 24/7 because that's irrelevant apparently and any questions you ask are met with, "why do you want to know that" and such likes

I'm with BT and get approx 50mbps. The only time streaming is interrupted through lack of bandwidth is when my kids are downloading a game on their consoles, for streaming and gaming in a house with two teenagers 50mbps is fine. I always stream iptv through a vpn so can't comment on how often my iptv would be blocked.

I was previously with Sky, they throttled my speeds at peak times so I wouldn't recommend them.

I considered a Three 5g router recently but me and the Mrs both work from home and need a stable connection. BT has been solid so didn't want to chance changing.
We have 3 5g home broadband, we have had it in since Christmas. It was £24 per month on a month-by-month basis but has now gone up to £27.50. Only for about a week during which time to mast went live on their website was there any interruption. It just so happens I bought the same zct 5g router and tested the £15.00 unlimited data sim on Smarty. That test did not go so well either with dropouts. Since that week our 3 5g has been pretty good. The other half works from home and never complains about the connection. She has a constant 300mb connection and at the router its 400-600mb. I use homeplugs and a tplink wifi 6 router for all my tech stuff and get a constant 200mb downstairs. The router is in an upstairs bedroom window with line of sight of the mast.

I keep looking at the £37.50 virgin/02 deal which is 250mb connection, phone, weekend calls and the bigger tv package. I have iptv, and satellite but sometimes miss the ease of just turning on a supplier box.

Last edited:
We have 3 5g home broadband, we have had it in since Christmas. It was £24 per month on a month-by-month basis but has now gone up to £27.50. Only for about a week during which time to mast went live on their website was there any interruption. It just so happens I bought the same zct 5g router and tested the £15.00 unlimited data sim on Smarty. That test did not go so well either with dropouts. Since that week our 3 5g has been pretty good. The other half works from home and never complains about the connection. She has a constant 300mb connection and at the router its 400-600mb. I use homeplugs and a tplink wifi 6 router for all my tech stuff and get a constant 200mb downstairs. The router is in an upstairs bedroom window with line of sight of the mast.

I keep looking at the £37.50 virgin/02 deal which is 250mb connection, phone, weekend calls and the bigger tv package. I have iptv, and satellite but sometimes miss the ease of just turning on a supplier box.

I thought about getting one on a monthly contract and trialling it before binning BT off but decided against it purely because BT has been so solid. A shame as I get about 300mbps 5g on my Three mobile at home so that massively improves the 50mbps broadband.

I thought about getting one on a monthly contract and trialling it before binning BT off but decided against it purely because BT has been so solid. A shame as I get about 300mbps 5g on my Three mobile at home so that massively improves the 50mbps broadband.
I went for walk the other week and stopped next to the 5g mast. I did a speed test next to it and got over 1gb download.(1000mb)

Wicked download an adult film in 3 seconds can you give bazz the location please stop him spying on his neighbour 🤣
Ha ha never thought of that.. right next time I'm there with our lass, it will be, let's take a break here, oh look at that view. Tap tap tap on the phone incomes a dirty movie 🤣

For IPTV I'd recommend 50Mpbs. As other devices may slow down your speed if you're using them

Just following this thread- currently I've got bog standard fibre broadband at 70Mbps. If looking to get IPTV via a firestick, is it worth switching to a 5G based ISP (as my property isn't supplied by the newer ultrafast fibre)?

Just following this thread- currently I've got bog standard fibre broadband at 70Mbps. If looking to get IPTV via a firestick, is it worth switching to a 5G based ISP (as my property isn't supplied by the newer ultrafast fibre)?
I would get the ethernet adapter and connect it directly to router rather than switching

Should be fine at 70mb, 5g home broadband can be a little hit and miss. I had it for 11 months.

I have the same BT fibre broadband package and have absolutely no problem running iptv even with another couple of devices (ipad/laptop) connected at the same time. I'm fortunate enough to be only approximately 50 yards from the BT green box and get 70Mbps consistently. However, it may be worth checking what speed your getting as speeds can deteriorate rapidly depending on what distance you are from green box and when running other devices.

Best to get the ethernet adaptor and you will have a more consistent connection than WiFi but if you can't get ethernet connections then 70mb is good but you might have drop outs due to it being wireless

Thanks for the replies everyone. For reference, that 70mbps is currently via ethernet to my router with no other active devices, but won't jump ship for now and see how she fares.
@kegnkiwi, I've always been a bit dubious/resistant with 4g/5g as only people who i really know use them live out in the sticks!

Thanks for the replies everyone. For reference, that 70mbps is currently via ethernet to my router with no other active devices, but won't jump ship for now and see how she fares.
@kegnkiwi, I've always been a bit dubious/resistant with 4g/5g as only people who i really know use them live out in the sticks!
You will only need 15mbps usually for fhd so more than enough as long as it stays above this

Back