IPTV does it require VPN?

Taylerlee

Can someone give me the definative answer? Do you need to use a VPN to view IPTV? For the last 6 months or so I have not had any major problems just the occassional buffering. However starting yesterday and continuing shortly after kickoff today I had total blackout on my main sub and a test. I dont use a VPN. However I have just paid for a 48 hour pass on another sub and it works great (to be fair it is a little more expensive). Am I just lucky with this one that it is not blocked by my ISP?, or is it as I suspect nothing to do with a VPN or the ISP but that the servers have gone down on the other two. Can someone with the correct knowledge point me in the right direction. Do I get a VPN? or just the right supplier?.

Ha the 2nd most popular question out there just now... Some will say yes else your ISP will see what's going on and potentially block it or throttle your connection. Add that to the court order for isp's to block prem football and there you go... Others will say no why would your ISP be interested in anything your doing and block or restrict your connection it a free web world etc. Personally I do both.. I have an IPTV on firestick in bedroom not through a VPN as it's watched rarely and another through a VPN in front róom as it's on all the time (for sports especially). It's really down to personal preference. Try without if you think your ISP is playing with you put a VPN on and see if it helps.

Good luck

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Ha the 2nd most popular question out there just now... Some will say yes else your ISP will see what's going on and potentially block it or throttle your connection. Add that to the court order for isp's to block prem football and there you go... Others will say no why would your ISP be interested in anything your doing and block or restrict your connection it a free web world etc. Personally I do both.. I have an IPTV on firestick in bedroom not through a VPN as it's watched rarely and another through a VPN in front róom as it's on all the time (for sports especially). It's really down to personal preference. Try without if you think your ISP is playing with you put a VPN on and see if it helps.

Good luck

I suppose it now begs the question if I go down the VPN route which one? And would need it installing on a router which would plug and play with my sly hub. What is the cost for an efficient and effective piece of kit? If not carefully its not going to be cost effective time. Your advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

It's costing me about £200 for a Linksys 1200ac router and a lifetime VPN sub... Was it worth it ??? Only time will tell. I'm happy with the setup. Get stable 30/20 up down off a full 70/30 connection. 30 down is more than enough to stream hd. Line quality takes a hit, pings up around 60ms but without VPN it's like 8 or 10ms but it runs smooth enough. I tried a VPN on a cheap £30 router and couldn't get a speed above 5meg. Frankly your watching nothing on that. Put simply the more you spend the better you'll get it's just hitting it right. Done properly it's costing prohibitive but it's a one time purchase for peace of mind. At least thats how I looked at it. I ran my sub without a VPN for a couple of months perfectly fine I only got it because of the increase in awareness of hookie IPTV and who knows were it's going. Look at Kodi boxes as an example.

Good luck

It's costing me about £200 for a Linksys 1200ac router and a lifetime VPN sub... Was it worth it ??? Only time will tell. I'm happy with the setup. Get stable 30/20 up down off a full 70/30 connection. 30 down is more than enough to stream hd. Line quality takes a hit, pings up around 60ms but without VPN it's like 8 or 10ms but it runs smooth enough. I tried a VPN on a cheap £30 router and couldn't get a speed above 5meg. Frankly your watching nothing on that. Put simply the more you spend the better you'll get it's just hitting it right. Done properly it's costing prohibitive but it's a one time purchase for peace of mind. At least thats how I looked at it. I ran my sub without a VPN for a couple of months perfectly fine I only got it because of the increase in awareness of hookie IPTV and who knows were it's going. Look at Kodi boxes as an example.

Good luck

Please elaborate on "get a stable 30/20 up down off a full 70/30 connection"

I thought if your router is decent enough, it comes down to your VPN provider to see if they can support the speeds. Are you purchasing an all in on package (router + lifetime vpn service) or have you bought each one individually?

Can someone give me the definative answer? Do you need to use a VPN to view IPTV? For the last 6 months or so I have not had any major problems just the occassional buffering. However starting yesterday and continuing shortly after kickoff today I had total blackout on my main sub and a test. I dont use a VPN. However I have just paid for a 48 hour pass on another sub and it works great (to be fair it is a little more expensive). Am I just lucky with this one that it is not blocked by my ISP?, or is it as I suspect nothing to do with a VPN or the ISP but that the servers have gone down on the other two. Can someone with the correct knowledge point me in the right direction. Do I get a VPN? or just the right supplier?.

Personally, I say that a VPN will make no difference, as the Prem blocking order is blocking the server from the supplier end, so you having a VPN wont change this in any way. You need a supplier who knows what they are doing and not just some re-seller who has no idea and doesn't give a toss. If your supplier has the football working at their end and you still cant view it, then yes, the problem is at your end and maybe a VPN can help to resolve this.

A lot of the suppliers though are being blocked with the football and you adding a VPN will not resolve this. Example, I don't have a VPN and I can watch every football match, I have mates who use the same service that I do and we are all on different ISP, so the ISP is not blocking anything, it's all down to the supplier.

**Please note, I am not advertising providers, I am simply stating facts**

Without being rude, please don't anyone ask me for supplier details as this request will be ignored, as this is breaching forum rules to advertise servers.

Totally agree with you. I have 2 subs, one of them goes down every time a whistle blows. The provider/reseller says we all need VPN's and to be fair to him has sent out several emails detailing what to do. However I will not be renewing.
My 2nd sub (acquired at start of FA blockade after 2 day test) has never been down. I communicated with support and out of curiosity asked them their thoughts on a VPN and they told me it was unnecessary at this time. So I suppose you never say 'never' and it is early days with this sub however so far I will be renewing this one.
Sorry, but as dt stated above I am not promoting any particular service just giving an example of a good one, of which there must be many. Please don't ask for details.

Last edited:
My service has been great until the new season kicked off. During premiership game ALL channels will get blocked until the games are over, and all my channels come back alive again.
However this weekend following on advise about VPN, I used the service through OpenVPN on my Zgemma box and had no issues at all.
VPN does make a difference.
For me at least

My service has been great until the new season kicked off. During premiership game ALL channels will get blocked until the games are over, and all my channels come back alive again.
However this weekend following on advise about VPN, I used the service through OpenVPN on my Zgemma box and had no issues at all.
VPN does make a difference.
For me at least

What vpn provider/service did you use via OpenVPN?

I have trialed several IPTVs and have found one that does not glitch 99% of the time when the game is on without a VPN (again, plz don't PM about my supplier). Then again, compared to the prices sly charge, I don't mind the occasional glitch. Searching for the right IPTV was a minefield and overtime I realised how shody some people run their service. I would suggest buying weekend trials when the game is on to see which one works before making a monthly/yearly commitment

I have trialed several IPTVs and have found one that does not glitch 99% of the time when the game is on without a VPN (again, plz don't PM about my supplier). Then again, compared to the prices sly charge, I don't mind the occasional glitch. Searching for the right IPTV was a minefield and overtime I realised how shody some people run their service. I would suggest buying weekend trials when the game is on to see which one works before making a monthly/yearly commitment
100% correct. At the moment it is essential that you have a Saturday test. If the supplier has no issues with his service it won't be a problem.

When my subs finish..i won`t be renewing,i don`t use a VPN but they both go down now when footies on.
One gos off completely for half a day..?
i`ve found many streams on the net which are of good quality..no buffering or glitching..i have all sports
in full HD and they are perfect and don`t go off.I say don`t get ripped off with re-sellers on here and there
are many.
Don`t go off the free streams on here,there uploaded only to make the guy money,,he doesn`t care about quality.
just the amount of downloads he gets..Look around they are there to be found.

Taylerlee. These are my and neighbours questions. We thought we had different suppliers. All was good until a big 3pm match came on
then total blackout. Our questions were the same is it ISP blocking and would VPN help. Reading the replies it would seem it is as we though probably down to the server. But why total black out is it overloaded? Last nights game was excellent no glitching. And if it was a blocking move why do they turn it back on after a major game? as all is perfect at this moment. Liverpool tonight, come on, will be a test.
I favour a crap supplier route and reading the replies you've had above, this seems most likely.

A good post.

Luckily we both have steerable dishes.

Crap suppliers..re-sellers have no control of quality or being blocked..it`s said you must look for a supplier
who has his own server..you`ll be lucky to find one in this country,they`ve turned `em off and become re-sellers.
I`m happy to look for working streams..it`s becoming a hobby..We should have a Private section for swapping
good streams..i don`t think i use more than twenty total..although i have many more.

My thoughts are..Total blanking of all channels is the big boys..Virmin,Sli ect
individual channels goin off only for Footie, is down to suppliers with no balls.

Last edited:
Taylerlee. These are my and neighbours questions. We thought we had different suppliers. All was good until a big 3pm match came on
then total blackout. Our questions were the same is it ISP blocking and would VPN help. Reading the replies it would seem it is as we though probably down to the server. But why total black out is it overloaded? Last nights game was excellent no glitching. And if it was a blocking move why do they turn it back on after a major game? as all is perfect at this moment. Liverpool tonight, come on, will be a test.
I favour a crap supplier route and reading the replies you've had above, this seems most likely.

A good post.

Luckily we both have steerable dishes.
First and foremost I am no expert. However from the outset I was not prepared to accept without evidence that a vpn was the answer. To some degree I believe I have been proved correct as I know of one supplier who after his service went down on the first weekend was within a couple of days telling his clients to use vpn and to set it to specific servers. The same person is now saying turn your vpn off 'we have it sorted.' Now if I had just purchased a vpn licence or indeed a vpn router worth having (£150?) I wouldnt be happy. My own situation is a point in question, after the Friday night match of the first weekend my sub went down. I immediatelly got 2 trials for the weekend (both paid for), one went down Saturday lunch. The second has never missed a beat since I have had it and I watch all the matches, early kick off, 3pm, 5.30pm and Sunday. So thats 2 weekends and mid week matches with no vpn. You might say I have just been lucky and you might be right I agree its too early to be conclusive. However I contacted the support and asked them their views on using a vpn and was told it was not necessary which I think is further evidence.
As to different suppliers lines going down I think I might be right when I say many get their sports or whatever from the same source, hence you pay different people for the same product. If I am wrong I am sure I will be corrected.
Just keep trying test lines at weekend there are good ones out there albeit at the moment the bad ones seem to get all the publicity on here!

It`s early days..i`d only buy monthly subs.once you`ve found a good one,until it`s all settled down.
Agreed, for what you save by paying 6 or 12 months its better to have the freedom of 1 month. It also keeps the suppliers on their toes.

Just watched my game and all was well, all other channels also fine. Saturday will be the test and as you say Taylerlee trying a weekend supplier
is the way forward. I think shairing knowledge would also be helpful. A PM is always welcome but not from a seller.

Had the same trouble over the years with cline suppliers. Took a while but now first class. No S** of coarse.

During the EPL games on Sunday I found the games stopped playing on the TV and phone. I have a month trial of a vpn on the phone, connected via that and the game suddenly played great again, but was still down on the TV.
It's smart iptv app I use on the TV, is there a way to get a vpn on that or does it have to go through the router (virgin 3.0). I also have a mag 256 which I believe won't take a vpn either

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back