IPTV Settings on TP-Link Archer VR400 Router

Booler

I installed a new router as I was fed up with the Sky Hub going down. Bought this and found a section in the settings for IPTV, can anyone tell me how best to set this up for my enigma2

upload_2017-11-2_17-25-36.png

Thanks, just wasn't sure if this would have enhanced my IPTV connection.
Just for the avoidance of doubt - this type of facility in the router offers you some of the functions of Managed Switching. In this context, it would allow you to create a Virtual LAN that you assign to one of the physical LAN ports on the router. Any traffic passing through that port to and from the devices connected to it will be treated as separate from the other traffic on your LAN, and your router will attempt to prioritise available bandwidth/traffic throughput in favour of them as it assumes that they are hungrer in terms of bandwidth consumption. I can be a useful tool if you wish to simply separate certain traffic, and/or if you have low WAN bandwidth available generally or perhaps at certain times of the day that needs to be more carefully managed.

Just for the avoidance of doubt - this type of facility in the router offers you some of the functions of Managed Switching. In this context, it would allow you to create a Virtual LAN that you assign to one of the physical LAN ports on the router. Any traffic passing through that port to and from the devices connected to it will be treated as separate from the other traffic on your LAN, and your router will attempt to prioritise available bandwidth/traffic throughput in favour of them as it assumes that they are hungrer in terms of bandwidth consumption. I can be a useful tool if you wish to simply separate certain traffic, and/or if you have low WAN bandwidth available generally or perhaps at certain times of the day that needs to be more carefully managed.
Thanks Xero50 that is useful to know, I think I'll have a play around with it and see if it improves the IPTV, I just got this router and took the sky hub and bt openreach modem out to try and improve my network speed overall, so far it is quite good.

The first lesson I ever learned in networking was "never ever, ever use an ISP supplied appliance -Take it out the back, have a bonfire or flog it on flea-bay, but whatever you do, don't use it". - - - it's a lesson that has served me well over the years.
In getting that box, you have taken a big step forward IMHO. To learn about how things connect is not only interesting, but you are reclaiming ownership and management of your LAN and anything connected to it for yourself. So high kudos to you. Be prepared to make some mistakes along the way, and be prepared to learn from them.
If your new box is working well today, take a backup of it's settings. Then make one change at a time, and test it. If it all (or parts) goes south on you, then restore from your backup, and then try something else.
First thing I would do, is change your DNS resolver entries. Personally I would recommend using Open-NIC or Open-DNS., (or even Google DNS at a push) - - - By the way, lesson number two was " never ever use an ISP's DNS service"

The first lesson I ever learned in networking was "never ever, ever use an ISP supplied appliance -Take it out the back, have a bonfire or flog it on flea-bay, but whatever you do, don't use it". - - - it's a lesson that has served me well over the years.
In getting that box, you have taken a big step forward IMHO. To learn about how things connect is not only interesting, but you are reclaiming ownership and management of your LAN and anything connected to it for yourself. So high kudos to you. Be prepared to make some mistakes along the way, and be prepared to learn from them.
If your new box is working well today, take a backup of it's settings. Then make one change at a time, and test it. If it all (or parts) goes south on you, then restore from your backup, and then try something else.
First thing I would do, is change your DNS resolver entries. Personally I would recommend using Open-NIC or Open-DNS., (or even Google DNS at a push) - - - By the way, lesson number two was " never ever use an ISP's DNS service"
I've taken your advice and switched DNS to Open-DNS and it certainly has made a big difference to the performance, I've not got round to playing with the IPTV settings yet but that will be my next learning curve.
Thanks Xero50 for your expert advice.

Back