is 80% of wages actually going to be 80%?

grog68

VIP Member
TK Supporter
I was talking to my two sons, they both work for a big pub chain which has obviously closed. The company hadn't announced what they where going to do about paying their staff apart from that they will pay in full for the comming weeks shifts that they have been rottered to work.

One of them is salaried and is expecting to get the 80% of his salary. if the company decides to pay 100% while the pubs are shut then that's a bonus.

The second is not salaried, he is on a 30 hour contract but works 40+ hours a week normally. He is expecting to get 80% of his contracted hours. So he will recieve far less than 80% of his normal pay. If the company decides to pay 100% of wages, that's a bonus but again he fears that will still be based on his 30 hour contract so still getting less than 80% of his normal pay.

I am sure this will be the same case for an awful lot of hourly paid workers especially those in hospitality

Must be worrying times for these people - the not knowing

As it's part of the government funding they will probably pay 80% of contracted hours unless the employer covers the rest. I'm not sure how this will work for agency workers or those on zero hour contracts

As it's part of the government funding they will probably pay 80% of contracted hours unless the employer covers the rest. I'm not sure how this will work for agency workers or those on zero hour contracts
Yea that's his concern, so he's going to drop from say his normal 40 hours pay down to 24 hours pay. That's heck of a drop for anyone, but then on other hand at least he is still going to get paid something which is more than a lot of people.

Yep I don't know how those having to self isolate are coping with £94 a week seen some that have to do it for 12 weeks aswel

if I dont work I dont get paid anything, not a penny, nada, zilch,
its that simple, same as any other period of being sick, holidays etc,
Hopefully we have more details on pay etc and they include self employed on that. Although at some point this is going to come back on us possibly by higher taxes etc. If people can afford it take time off without pay as it's going to put pressure in the future

i think the self employed should be paid on last years earnings/taxes , that way the goverment would have a rough idea of this years earnings/losses

At least some people are getting some cash for no graft.
The self employed wont get nothing lol just say you have covid19 and you will get the £94 ssp payment, simplez

How many hoops will you have to jump through to get it is the thing?
God knows mate, remember this is a new thing and affects millions, realistically you can't expect it to work right away.
It's gonna take time to set it al up, get in more staff to deal with all the claims etc.
Hopefully the self employed people will have a few quid put aside for a rainy day or friends and family to help them.

Our company has said that they will top up the 20%, but at the moment its only for 3 months and it doesnt kick in straight away,not till late april,as for jumping through hoops if your paye the company should be doing the leg work,if your self employed the government are supposed to be putting a package together today,but dont expect they will cover more than £2400 a month as thats the paye limit,many self employed will be screwed i would imagine

Our company has said that they will top up the 20%, but at the moment its only for 3 months and it doesnt kick in straight away,not till late april,as for jumping through hoops if your paye the company should be doing the leg work,if your self employed the government are supposed to be putting a package together today,but dont expect they will cover more than £2400 a month as thats the paye limit,many self employed will be screwed i would imagine
Blimey £2,400 a month is plenty to live on, I don't know anyone who takes home that sort of pay, minimum wage is £8.21 per hour and your lucky to get £9 per hour.
So £9 x 37.5 = £337.50 a week x 52 weeks = £17,550 divided by 12 months = £1,462 per month and that's gross pay.

I personally think the self employed should get a similar deal to the employed ! A lot of self employed are people that were made redundant or there old jobs were taken away or made shit by policies the government at the time! But we're happy to use them in there employment statistics!
I done about 12 years self employed, but not in any bother now as retired and waiting for April for another pay rise! Using last year's trading figures seems fair! The only problem I can see with that is if you screwed them down with expenses etc 80 percent may be a low figure, it would have been for me!

Obviously it will take some time to setup but the longer it goes on the more panic it will cause so hopefully sooner rather than later.

Obviously it will take some time to setup but the longer it goes on the more panic it will cause so hopefully sooner rather than later.
Yes thats true. Been down to my local Tesco today few loaves of bread and full fat milk on shelves but not much else.
I'm hoping the shelves fill to full again soon as the general public are morons panic buying!
Still of the opinion this virus is here for the long term and 12 weeks is just a guess by Boris to try and appease the nation.

Yes thats true. Been down to my local Tesco today few loaves of bread and full fat milk on shelves but not much else.
I'm hoping the shelves fill to full again soon as the general public are morons panic buying!
Still of the opinion this virus is here for the long term and 12 weeks is just a guess by Boris to try and appease the nation.

12 weeks is just the start I’d say mate

Back