Jezero Crater: will be the ladning location for NaSa's Mars 2020 Rover

Cool! Here's a link to John Michael Godier's YouTube channel. He covers a lot of astronomy news including Oumuamua, the first interstellar object to be discovered in our solar system and Tabby's Star, which shows signs of possibly having an alien megastructure built around it. He also has an incredibly relaxing voice. ;)

Cool! Here's a link to John Michael Godier's YouTube channel. He covers a lot of astronomy news including Oumuamua, the first interstellar object to be discovered in our solar system and Tabby's Star, which shows signs of possibly having an alien megastructure built around it. He also has an incredibly relaxing voice. ;)

Why do people like him have voices like that?
It implies that if i want to be like him i have to adopt a voice like that - i can't do that - the best i can manage sounds like that freak from Bugs Bunny.

9540065.jpg
I like planet stuff, i'm fairly complicated me[1], anyway, i wanna know more about that thing you said about Tabby's star, whtat's all that about then?
Seriously, gimme the beef.
BTW where do you get this info from?

[1] oh yes V complicado

i wanna know more about that thing you said about Tabby's star, whtat's all that about then?
Seriously, gimme the beef.
BTW where do you get this info from?

From watching the channel lol? Tabby's star was identified a while ago and they noticed unusual dipping patterns in the light coming from it, as much as a 20% drop. Furthermore, the pattern of the dips are not what you would expect from orbiting planets which makes it interesting. There are theories as to what's blocking the light, such as enormous clouds of dust or comets, but the most fascinating one is that of a Dyson structure. This is an enormous theoretical structure which could be constructed around a star by highly advanced aliens, the purpose of which is to capture massive amounts of the radiant energy of the star, and any population living on/in the structure would have virtually inexhaustible sources of power.

Hmmm, how would you build a structure on a star?
do you mean like a space station type structure orbiting the star?

Hmmm, how would you build a structure on a star?
do you mean like a space station type structure orbiting the star?
Yes it doesn't touch the star, it would be like a shell or something located a set distance from the star. The original idea was for a complete sphere to go around the star but that's been determined impractical, so it's most likely a series of of massive collectors. I found this old clip of Star Trek TNG where they find a Dyson sphere.

It would be a good idea, but not sure of it's practical use.
Whoever set it up, would have to live on/in it to gain the power generated?
Unless they had the technology to 'send' the harnessed power to a nearby planet they occupied...other than that, I wouldn't fancy living in a metallic floating structure, no sky, no nature, no night or day etc

It would be a good idea, but not sure of it's practical use.
They would have to be a type 2 civilisation, meaning they're capable of harnessing most of the power of their sun. A type 3 could harness the power of an entire galaxy. A type 1 could harness all of the power of its planet. We, by comparison, are estimated to be at 0.72 lol.

Back