latest ps3 hacking rumours

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
Info borrowed from elsewhere.lol

PlayStation 3 has given modders and hackers a run for their money. For nearly fours years hackers have tried to create a working mod that would bypass the PS3 software protection and run homebrew applications and backups. However, there has been no real breakthroughs, until now, if you believe what PS3News has to say.

According to the site, a product called PSJailBreak will allow owners of any version of PS3 to run backups of PS3 games as well as homebrew applications. The $170 mod is a piece of software stored in a USB drive. By inserting the thumb drive to your PS3 you'll be able to install and run the launcher application in seconds without permanently modifying the console or its software.

The PSJailBreak application also includes a backup tool which allows users to backup their game discs to the PS3 hard drive. Movies whether DVD or Blu-ray, or previous generation PlayStation games aren't supported by the tool. The backup manager can also be downloaded for free.

At OzModChips.com the Stock Status says they'll be shipping preorders by the end of the month.

There are couple of YouTube videos (below) and Twitter updates that say it is working. Hopefully we can confirm this in the coming days. However, for now you should probably take it with a grain of salt.
[video=youtube;4jOEbZEkp9A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOEbZEkp9A[/video]

[video=youtube;8IDaGne0u]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IDaGne0u[/video]

sorry, i cannot put the video here..temporary amnesialol, if any mods read this and can fix it..many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update wheelo. I sure hope that it works out, but I for one am not parting with any money just yet. lol

Would be amazing if it did just run from usb, id wonder what would stop someone though from duplicating whats on that usb and then just redistributing it themselves. Hmm, very strange!

Looks like alot of people are taking this serious i may have to revise my last statement of disbelief,i will wait for the free version thou

While i want to be getting excited about the idea; i too will hold off for now. Free is a much nicer price tag.

there are a lot of discussions going on elsewhere, and they seem to be hopeful, but the secondary hacking (hacking the hack, therefore making it free) is the breakthrough that everyone has been waiting for. though, whats the betting that PS4 is on the way.

Or a simple update that'll render the hack useless :(
They'll have to look into preventing this through updates on games, probably dash updates like the 360 too. Alot of work left to do i would imagine

I would tend to agree, when $ony got wind of GeoHots hack; they answered one of the exploits with a immediate firmware update that removed the Install other OS option.

When this hits the general public you can nearly be sure that Sony will try to render the hack useless and force updates through PSN/Store and newer game titles.

We will have to see how it goes. For the PS3 this has been quite the arduous process thus far.

i also would lean toward this conclusion, but we can hope.

some of the chatter around the interweb is leaning towards an exploitation of the recent court ruling

I see aswell according to the chatter the ps3 must have update 3.41 installed. It will not work on any other update version.
once this homebrew app is installed through the usb drive it is unremoveable.
An external hdd formatted with fat32 is needed to store the backups or the internal hdd of the ps3
You need an original disc to backup, not a matter of downloading an installing to the hdd yourself, not yet anyway.
An original of any ps3 game must be in the ps3 to simulate the game loading process.
It works both on the original ps3 and the slim but the startup process for each one is different.

Last edited:
I think the exploit has more to do with the shutdown process,when it does'nt shutdown properly it may be vulnerable and that should be the same for all of them,holding of on updating untill i know its safe to do so

Logic sunrise review
Check out logic surise review of the dongle, according to him its working on PSN too but of course to be weary of bans.
I translated it from french to english for ye too, im fluent ya know, just kiddin i used google translate :)

From what i have seen the backup manager comes on a seperate micro sd,i did download the update 3.41 to my pc but will hold off on putting it on,this is getting cool,they will have to hurry up on the psp3000 now for a fully working cfw,then i will be done unless i buy a xbox to sink my teeth into

the PSP 3000 situation is a bit of a let down, but you have to remain hopeful. as for the ps3 a matter of weeks should tell if this is as good as it is promising to be

according to nexus404.com the jailbreak has been cloned by the good ole asians and the original developers are pretty pissed about it. They have issued a statement advising to steer clear of clones and are harping on about warranties and support.

they would say that, wouldn't they lol i think it will be of benefit to see whether these work for a while before splashing out a lot of cash. and then surely there will be a free way of doing it.

AGAIN STOLEN FROM ELSEWHERE, BUT THIS IS THE LATEST NEWS ON THE PSJAILBREAK

The online Australian retailers Quantronics and Ozmodchips have been ordered by a Federal Court in Australia to halt all sales, imports and distribution of the PSJailbreak USB dongles.

PSJailBreak will allow owners of any version of PS3 to run backups of PS3 games as well as homebrew applications. The $170 mod is a piece of software stored in a USB drive. By inserting the thumb drive into your PS3 you'll be able to install and run the launcher application in seconds without permanently modifying the console or its software.

The PSJailBreak application also included a backup tool which allows users to backup their game discs to the PS3 hard drive. Movies whether DVD or Blu-ray, or previous generation PlayStation games aren't supported by the tool. The backup manager can also be downloaded for free.

So far, the companies have switched the status of the item to "no stock," not yet completely removing the listings.

Quantronics' site says: "Unless a continuation of orders or permanent injunction is granted to Sony Computer Entertainment, this product page will be returned and sales will resume on the 31st August 2010."

They'll never be allowed to profit from this, it will be free to download guaranteed either from the original developers or by someone else. Best way to do this is to accept donations to continue their work. They should no better themselves these days.

Back