Metformin

userlee5267

TK Veteran
Hello

Just be confirmed I have type two diabetes. I've been prescribed Metformin.

I like a drink only 6 cans here and there.

Does this affect me drinking.

Not sure if I need to give it up completely

I've read the NHS website and it says no heavy drinking

I for some reason could drink 8 but non alcoholic drinks like soft drinks.

Need to drink more water to help you hydrate. Might be a refference to high levels of booze .

seen this out there and assuming that is not with booze when taking the pills.

Taking metFORMIN with alcohol may increase the risk of a rare but serious and potentially life-threatening condition known as lactic acidosis, which is a buildup of lactic acid in the blood that can occasionally occur during treatment with metformin-containing products.

Try steer clear of fizzy drinks white bread, you can buy a blood monitor £10.00 boots..
Normal blood sugars should be
5 _ 6.a diabetics blood sugars could be conciderably higher. A quick fix is beetroot juice.

I for some reason could drink 8 but non alcoholic drinks like soft drinks.

Need to drink more water to help you hydrate. Might be a refference to high levels of booze .

seen this out there and assuming that is not with booze when taking the pills.

Taking metFORMIN with alcohol may increase the risk of a rare but serious and potentially life-threatening condition known as lactic acidosis, which is a buildup of lactic acid in the blood that can occasionally occur during treatment with metformin-containing products.
That lactic acidosis puts me off drinking

Hello

Just be confirmed I have type two diabetes. I've been prescribed Metformin.

I like a drink only 6 cans here and there.

Does this affect me drinking.

Not sure if I need to give it up completely

I've read the NHS website and it says no heavy drinking
I'm on metformin and say drink in moderation but I have like 12-13 bottles on a Saturday when my mate comes over plus other drinks like wine au vodka and never effected my sugar levels bud.
I drink water mostly through out day and odd can of zero sugar pop ideally you need to stay clear of white products as they produce sugar.
They will have started you on astostatin I think it is which is a cholesterol tablet also its not the end of the world we just have to be more careful in what we eat I tend to sway for things that are like 2gram in sugar but tbh @stussHas been a great help with me and gave me plenty advice on things with regards to diabetes even though my parents are diabetic I've always turned to stuss lol

I'm on metformin and say drink in moderation but I have like 12-13 bottles on a Saturday when my mate comes over plus other drinks like wine au vodka and never effected my sugar levels bud.
I drink water mostly through out day and odd can of zero sugar pop ideally you need to stay clear of white products as they produce sugar.
They will have started you on astostatin I think it is which is a cholesterol tablet also its not the end of the world we just have to be more careful in what we eat I tend to sway for things that are like 2gram in sugar but tbh @stussHas been a great help with me and gave me plenty advice on things with regards to diabetes even though my parents are diabetic I've always turned to stuss lol
I usually have 8 cans Friday and similar Saturday.

Just come off the phone to docs there waiting for my liver and kidney function tests still.

So gotta hold of taking the tablets yet.

I do have a niggly pain in my left kidney so they needed to check them out.

It doesn't rain it pours

I usually have 8 cans Friday and similar Saturday.

Just come off the phone to docs there waiting for my liver and kidney function tests still.

So gotta hold of taking the tablets yet.

I do have a niggly pain in my left kidney so they needed to check them out.

It doesn't rain it pours
You really should bring this up with a medical professional, not believe random strangers on the internet. Without us knowing your history, there is no way for us to make those calls.
In fact, you've gone from having 6 cans here and there to 8 every Friday and similar (not same, so could be 8, 10, 12 for all we know).
It is more dangerous to follow advice from here than to
A. Refer to the docs
B. Refer to a friend with diabetes
C. Look up using Google and making your own decisions, you seem, in my opinion, to be looking for someone to say "its alright to drink what you want".

As Stuss says above, diabetes isn't the end of the world, but you really do have to look after yourself, AND make those lifestyle changes necessary.

Techkings acknowledges that we are not medical experts, and accept no responsibility for any dud information given to you.

Please be careful with your health.

Cheers all I see what you mean. I have Googled stuff. I see a doctor Friday again

I haven't drunk since as it's knocked me a bit.

I have stopped peeing as much and the dry mouth as disappeared.

I've just cut back on everything I can this week.

Feel weak and have a weird headache.

Hard when I've been drinking most weekends for a long time. It will be the hardest thing to give up. Probably like being a alcoholic I suppose. I know I don't drink everyday. But I've tried to give this up before and I can't shake it

I haven't drunk any fizzy pop just water upto now and just stuck to meals and no snacking.

It's hard when my jobs a bit physical to so I feel a bit dizzy and tired at the minute

You really should bring this up with a medical professional, not believe random strangers on the internet. Without us knowing your history, there is no way for us to make those calls.
In fact, you've gone from having 6 cans here and there to 8 every Friday and similar (not same, so could be 8, 10, 12 for all we know).
It is more dangerous to follow advice from here than to
A. Refer to the docs
B. Refer to a friend with diabetes
C. Look up using Google and making your own decisions, you seem, in my opinion, to be looking for someone to say "its alright to drink what you want".

As Stuss says above, diabetes isn't the end of the world, but you really do have to look after yourself, AND make those lifestyle changes necessary.

Techkings acknowledges that we are not medical experts, and accept no responsibility for any dud information given to you.

Please be careful with your health.
You missed an opportunity there. Given that it's so hard to get a GP appointment nowadays, you could open up a medical advice request thread. :LOL:

Have been Diabetic Type 2 for many years and have a review yearly, to be fair i have dropped weight and it's shown in my reviews, i take Metformin, Dapagliflozin, Alogliptin, Ramipril for blood pressure and Atovastatin for Cholesterol.
I've tried compromising with the GP to reduce my medication as i was swayed into thinking that GP's are pushed into pushing these medication's onto people that have raised glucose following blood tests by "Big Pharma"
In reply he said the meds are looking after my body, i think the key is lifestyle and reduce intake and to be fair i have changed that. you can pull this back with determination, i drink over the weekends and enjoy my food, But in the week i am careful which seems to do the trick.
I never take Metformin on an empty stomach and have the slow release one's as have experienced "The Squits" and a rough stomach when taking before eating, So you may find you get on better taking them after food but everyone is different.
Take your time with them, i have one in the morning and one at night time, i was prescribed 3 per day but skip the middle one which seems to be ok for me and The Nurse on review said this was fine.
It is life changing and what we are all trying to avoid is Type 1 where Diabetes is worse and you end up having to inject yourself, Everything in moderation as they say, We're here for a good time, not a long time!
One last thing..I have done research and it may be worth looking into Fibre, there's a guy on Tick Tock who swears by it and his results are amazing, James de la fuente is his name, (@delathefella) he's struggled all his life with his health and weight, Check him out, it may change your life, He takes sachets of fibre before meals and then eats pretty much what he wants after and he looks great,
Good Luck and i hope this really helps you.
S.

Have been Diabetic Type 2 for many years and have a review yearly, to be fair i have dropped weight and it's shown in my reviews, i take Metformin, Dapagliflozin, Alogliptin, Ramipril for blood pressure and Atovastatin for Cholesterol.
I've tried compromising with the GP to reduce my medication as i was swayed into thinking that GP's are pushed into pushing these medication's onto people that have raised glucose following blood tests by "Big Pharma"
In reply he said the meds are looking after my body, i think the key is lifestyle and reduce intake and to be fair i have changed that. you can pull this back with determination, i drink over the weekends and enjoy my food, But in the week i am careful which seems to do the trick.
I never take Metformin on an empty stomach and have the slow release one's as have experienced "The Squits" and a rough stomach when taking before eating, So you may find you get on better taking them after food but everyone is different.
Take your time with them, i have one in the morning and one at night time, i was prescribed 3 per day but skip the middle one which seems to be ok for me and The Nurse on review said this was fine.
It is life changing and what we are all trying to avoid is Type 1 where Diabetes is worse and you end up having to inject yourself, Everything in moderation as they say, We're here for a good time, not a long time!
One last thing..I have done research and it may be worth looking into Fibre, there's a guy on Tick Tock who swears by it and his results are amazing, James de la fuente is his name, (@delathefella) he's struggled all his life with his health and weight, Check him out, it may change your life, He takes sachets of fibre before meals and then eats pretty much what he wants after and he looks great,
Good Luck and i hope this really helps you.
S.
I've seen that guy on tiktok I've been tempted to try it myself I'm on the same meds apart from the dapa one but I have to take 4 metformin a day 2 in a morning and 2 qt night plus I'm on anatriptaline for nerve damage.
It is all about changes you make to what you eat ect.
I know the metformin can make you loose weight did they start you off on metformin??
Cheers all I see what you mean. I have Googled stuff. I see a doctor Friday again

I haven't drunk since as it's knocked me a bit.

I have stopped peeing as much and the dry mouth as disappeared.

I've just cut back on everything I can this week.

Feel weak and have a weird headache.

Hard when I've been drinking most weekends for a long time. It will be the hardest thing to give up. Probably like being a alcoholic I suppose. I know I don't drink everyday. But I've tried to give this up before and I can't shake it

I haven't drunk any fizzy pop just water upto now and just stuck to meals and no snacking.

It's hard when my jobs a bit physical to so I feel a bit dizzy and tired at the minute
That's one of the most common signs is peeing constantly dry mouth ect I was up and down in night constantly going to toilet
You will get there in the end bud I don't know if they still do it but there is/was a course they offered you to understand and what you can can't eat but most of it is common sense.
They will also send you for your eyes to be screened your feet checked blood tests every few month then have your annual diabetic review.

What's the best drink to help me feel better Dr Pablo 🤣🤣
I prescribe 568ml of beer or cider, every hour (y)
I thought diabetes was hereditary?
Or you can develop it in old age (age onset diabetes)
How are people in their 20s, 30s, 40s just getting it?

NB as wheelo pointed out, anyone seeking medical advice from here needs their bumps felt

My mum & dad both in late 80's... Do not have diabetes
I got diabetes after years of the truth oil rig food.. Oh and fryups.. People younger apparently are getting it because of diet, & refusal to do exercise.. I use TRULICITY once a week injection..

My mum & dad both in late 80's... Do not have diabetes
I got diabetes after years of the truth oil rig food.. Oh and fryups.. People younger apparently are getting it because of diet, & refusal to do exercise.. I use TRULICITY once a week injection..
I've never had a sweet tooth really, don't like fizzy drinks but I do like fryups, although I don't fry anything, so grillups really

Back