Metformin

I don't think I eat much crap at all, nothing is fried. Chippy once a week.

It's come as a shock to me

Also regular 20,000 steps mehh

Hello

Just be confirmed I have type two diabetes. I've been prescribed Metformin.

I like a drink only 6 cans here and there.

Does this affect me drinking.

Not sure if I need to give it up completely

I've read the NHS website and it says no heavy drinking
I'm type 2 and was diagnosed 20 years ago but I suspect I was diabetic for a long time before that.
I have at least 4 cans most nights (probably more like every night evil laugh.gif)

They probably tell you not to drink a lot so you don't piss the meds away.

I'm on slow-release metformin (sukkarto) as the normal stuff wasn't doing much.

I prescribe 568ml of beer or cider, every hour (y)
I thought diabetes was hereditary?
Or you can develop it in old age (age onset diabetes)
How are people in their 20s, 30s, 40s just getting it?

NB as wheelo pointed out, anyone seeking medical advice from here needs their bumps felt
It's hiredatry in my family also didn't help matters I had a sweet tooth

It's hiredatry in my family also didn't help matters I had a sweet tooth
My grandfather had to inject insulin, this was in the 1950s so probably the only treatment back then.
My dad got 'age onset' diabetes which I think was type 2 when he was in his 60s, controlled with tablets.
I drink a lot of cider but very little sugar apart from that, no cakes, biscuits, chocolate, sweets etc
I have fruit, grapes, satsumas, pears etc usually once a day.
I'll probably end up diabetic when I'm older, if I live that long

Is cider not full of sugars..
I always thought all beer was full of sugar but apparently not according to google

Edit, there's a load of sugar in cider:

A

568 ml

pint

of

Strongbow

cider contains

g

of sugar in total – that's

%
of the daily free sugar allowance.

A

440 ml

pint

contains

g

of sugar,

%
Strongbow

cider has

g

of sugar per 100 ml. For comparison, a can of normal Coca-Cola contains 10.6 g of sugar per 100 ml.

Last edited:
I always thought all beer was full of sugar but apparently not according to google

Edit, there's a load of sugar in cider:

A

568 ml

pint

of

Strongbow

cider contains

g

of sugar in total – that's

%

A

440 ml

pint

contains

g

of sugar,

%
Strongbow

cider has

g

of sugar per 100 ml. For comparison, a can of normal Coca-Cola contains 10.6 g of sugar per 100 ml.
This after Google & editing

Yes, I copied and pasted but it came out manky.
This is a screenshot, it was beer that allegedly has little to no sugar but plenty of carbs

View attachment 97783

View attachment 97784

Interesting that coca cola has 4 times the amount of sugar per 100ml than cider
Yup that's why I mainly have Stella or budweiser I've had odd can of cider but has to be that koppaberg as don't like strongbow or the carlin dark fruits.

Koppaberg is too sweet for me, I actually prefer Stowford press or thatchers but it's a rarity on draught so strongbow is the usual.

My nephew has a discount card for Tesco. Normally 10% but it was 20% for a week up to yesterday so I ordered 5 cases of 18 StrongBow for Xmas, then went back and got another 5 cases, so got 180 cans, should have been a tenner a case but got 10 cases for eighty quid.
That's me sorted till new year 👍

I found that out on holiday! I decided to have a change from lager one night and drank 8 pints of that fruit cider stuff.
I was having heart palpitations, sweating and skin covered in bright red blotches.

The girlies can keep their cider!
It probably wasn't the cider but the fruity additives.
I get exactly those symptoms when I drink cordial - any cordial.
I used t buy the double concentrate apple and blackcurrant and I'd drink pints of it every day until I mentioned it to someone and they advised me to check on the additives.
I googled them all, one caused 'fake heart attacks' and palpitations.
It's a preservative and all cordial has it, even expensive ones like Ribena etc.
Can't remember the name of it now though

So the Metformin makes you thirsty and plenty of cool tins in the fridge , i like my coke , pepsi and 7 up free.
Those cholesterol tabs must work as perfect in last blood test.
Iffy one was for thyroid as had 3 blood tests in last 3 months.
Yes tablets after my meal as requested and on some days run to the loo.

Are the sugar free drinks okay. I only drink pepsi max..

Never full sugar coke it tastes funky after not drinking it for ages

Are the sugar free drinks okay. I only drink pepsi max..

Never full sugar coke it tastes funky after not drinking it for ages
Sugar free drinks are simply made up of chemicals to replicate sugar.
Caramel E150d), Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame K), Acids (Phosphoric Acid, Citric Acid), Flavourings (Including Caffeine), Preservatives

Its an interesting thread this, just out of interest have any of you guys tried Stevia sweetner. Myself and the mrs have been following a low carb diet most of the year and i was mainly eating omelets for breakfast but it can mess with your dietary track eating all the eggs. I've found this and moved onto greek yogurt with strawberry with a spoonful of this to make it sweet for breakie.

1703232026304.png

Its an interesting thread this, just out of interest have any of you guys tried Stevia sweetner. Myself and the mrs have been following a low carb diet most of the year and i was mainly eating omelets for breakfast but it can mess with your dietary track eating all the eggs. I've found this and moved onto greek yogurt with strawberry with a spoonful of this to make it sweet for breakie.

View attachment 97836
Used it making boilies for fishing ha

Back