Microsoft announces October 22nd launch for Windows 7

Best Buy memo Leaked

A leaked memo from Best Buy claims that the retail chain will pre-sell Windows 7 upgrades for as little as $49.99 starting June 26, a technology enthusiast site reported today.

Full Story:

-

Well as i said last night when i log on to ebay my error 651 keeps popping up on any sites i have open,have been on TKs over an hour and havent logged into ebay and no error message yet kinda weird i think.

$49.99 I think I could afford that. I'm looking forward to Windows7 being released. Hopefully they've got it right this time. :)

Well as i said last night when i log on to ebay my error 651 keeps popping up on any sites i have open,have been on TKs over an hour and havent logged into ebay and no error message yet kinda weird i think.

OK moh, this has all the hallmarks of the terrier that won't let go of the postman's ankle LOL!. You really want to nail this one don't you?

How are you connecting to the Internet moh?

Broadband or Dial Up?

That error is kind of connected to a modem issue or at least your system seems to think so?

When I know exactly how you are connecting? there's something else I want you to try :)

-

Microsoft will strip browser from Windows 7 in Europe

From Irish Independent today:

By Dina Bass

Friday June 12 2009

Microsoft will ship the new Windows 7 operating system in the EU without the Internet Explorer browser, aiming to quell antitrust concerns.

All versions of the software sold in the region will lack the browser, which has been the subject of a European Commission antitrust case, Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft said today. Windows 7 goes on sale Oct. 22.

The commission has accused Microsoft of limiting consumers’ choices and stifling product innovation by including its browser with Windows. The company said in January that the commission might seek a “significant” fine, as well as require Microsoft to disable some Internet Explorer software code and let customers choose a rival browser.

“We’re committed to making Windows 7 available in Europe at the same time it launches in the rest of the world, but we also must comply with European competition law,” Kevin Kutz, Microsoft’s director of public affairs, said in an e-mail. The company will offer Internet Explorer separately in that region.

The commission said today in a statement that it will issue a ruling shortly in the case, and that if a violation is found, consumers should be offered a choice of browsers.

Windows runs about 95 percent of the world’s personal computers, raising concerns that any software bundled with the operating system will have an unfair advantage. While leaving out Internet Explorer responds to that criticism, it hurts distribution of the browser at a time when its dominance is slipping.

Market Share

Internet Explorer had 66 percent of the market in May, according to Net Applications, a research firm in Aliso Viejo, California. Mozilla's Firefox had 23 percent, while Apple’s Safari had 8.4 percent. Internet Explorer’s market share was once more than 95 percent.

The proposal appears to reduce choice for retail buyers of Windows, since they will now get no browser at all, the commission said in its statement. Still, it will allow PC makers to choose which browsers to include, the commission said. If Microsoft is found to have violated antitrust law, the commission will have to decide if the company’s actions are sufficient to address it.

CNet News reported Microsoft’s plans earlier, citing a memo from the company to computer makers. (Bloomberg)

- Dina Bass

OK moh, this has all the hallmarks of the terrier that won't let go of the postman's ankle LOL!. You really want to nail this one don't you?

How are you connecting to the Internet moh?

Broadband or Dial Up?

That error is kind of connected to a modem issue or at least your system seems to think so?

When I know exactly how you are connecting? there's something else I want you to try :)

-

Apologies Gman only came across your reply now while searching through threads if the offer still stands for help on this i would appreciate it G anyway
im connecting to the internet using broadband i have a Thomson modem provided by my isp provider im also using a belkin router so the modem is connected to the router and my ethernet cable from the pc is connected to
the router,the strange thing is that when i log on to TKs or just browse the net i may get the odd error 651 but it wouldnt be immediate so its not that annoying but the minute i log on to ebay i will have to go through approx 3 error 651 pop ups to eventually regain my internet connection sounds weird but im telling it like it is,its so annoying that im thinking of reinstalling the vista disc and that would be me being desperate.(sorry for the long reply but i just wanted to give you as much info as possible) cheers in advance.

You should download the latest Windows 7 Release Candidate (if you haven't already).

It's not long available & I think it has an upgrade option (but not sure about that). I'd say it's the final release before the real thing in Oct.

You can get it HERE:

I don't know if they have sorted that error but it is way more stable than any of the beta releases.

-

Just an update for you G i downloaded Windows 7 RC and since i did i have not had any error 651,things seem to be running smoothly.Thanks again for your patience and help with my recent pc problems very much appreciated ;)

Just an update for you G i downloaded Windows 7 RC and since i did i have not had any error 651,things seem to be running smoothly.Thanks again for your patience and help with my recent pc problems very much appreciated ;)

Great news moh, hope it stays that way for you now (y)

-

Microsoft will start offering Windows 7 free to people who buy a new PC running Vista from, Friday, 26 June. PCs running Windows 7 will not appear until 22 October or later, but as Brad Brooks, US-based corporate vice president for Windows Consumer Product Marketing, says, "a lot of customers can't wait." However, if they buy a PC running Vista Home Premium, Business or Ultimate, they'll get a voucher for a free copy of Windows 7 when it comes out.

on win 7 now myself since i had the streaming to xbox problem on vista,didnt fancy a full reinstall so just slapped this on over vista and its working fine, somethings like right clicking on my computer and then selecting device manager cause the windows explorer to restart yet if i go the longer way around to device manager it works no problem.

Back