MOT, Servicing and Emissions

Best of luck with the test if you have any queries ally pm me as i dont always pop in to this thread or i should say i forget to come in here LOL

failed mot moh, two new gaters, power steering problem, vibrates hen you turn the wheel right, can`t be the punp as was suggested as a new one was fitted last year. new rack do you think. oh lights out of linemeant but i can sort that easily enough. any info would be greatly appreciated.

sounds like iv a plonk who aint got a clue been told its probaly one of the cv joints on the right side, 7th moh ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
For the vibration, check the inner/outer tie rod ends and make sure they're not loose. If they're tight, then cv joint would be the next logical thing to inspect. Start by making sure the boot is intact, no rips or tears allowing the grease to come out.

In my experience there is normally a clicking or ticking noise on turns when one of the cv joints is on it's way out.

Then it's possible the cv joint itself has got road grit in it, and could be wearing. That could very well be where your problem is mate.

thanx 7th didnt think it would be the rack, i can get a cv joint fo £52m rack £179. il take it out of the mot centre and get a mechanic to look. **** lot of use these plonks were.i might just report them as they couldnt tell me why it was doing it. quality mechanics over here lol, most of them.

its a national company, told me they would`nt be able to look at the prob til friday, my brains just woken up, im now being charged £15 for parkin when i work 100 meters away & i can park for free.

failed mot moh, two new gaters, power steering problem, vibrates hen you turn the wheel right, can`t be the punp as was suggested as a new one was fitted last year. new rack do you think. oh lights out of linemeant but i can sort that easily enough. any info would be greatly appreciated.

sounds like iv a plonk who aint got a clue been told its probaly one of the cv joints on the right side, 7th moh ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dee, if you had to replace the gaiters at some stage then its quite possible that as 7th said there is grit in there,i cant add much more to what 7th said,but all i can think of is that it could be a worn wheel beering,to check this jack up the car see can you feel movement when you pull the wheel side to side,have you heard a dull sounding noise coming from the wheel while driving this could also indicate a wheel bearing....as for the cv joint when you lock the steering fully and drive to the left or the right do you hear a crackling noise coming from the wheel (s) if so this will indicate the cv joint being gone......diagnosis of a problem such as yours should start from what i mentioned above and progress from there....im thinking its the wheel beering from what you are describing but in saying that i could be wrong...

it makes a werring sound, power steering becomes heavy and it sort of vibrates, shudder, but only when we turn the wheel right, pump changed last year.

Ok im going to ask the obvious is there enough steering fluid in the container? check it from both a cold and a hot engine as the steering fluid fluctuates....just cause you replaced the pump last year doesnt mean that it cant be faulty new parts can go just as easy....as 7th said make sure the tie-rod ends and rack ends are tight,also check the p/s belt it could be slipping,just rang a buddy of mine he said to check the fluid reservoir,run the engine remove the cap check to see if there are any bubbles it could mean the shaft seal on the pump is faulty.....plus is there any oil leaks under the car this could also indicate that the steering rack is leaking....check the points i listed above, sorry for not being more helpful but trying to diagnose a car problem such as this over the net is difficult so all i can do is throw out suggestions if i had the car infront of me i wouldnt be long sussing out whats wrong with it.

just got the car back its the pump again, been qouted £700 to replace the bloody thing.
also
both outer cv boots split
headlight aim in correct
offside headlamp has no beam image.
advise
heavy oil leaks
front tyres worn.:mad:

On some vehicles it's easier to replace the half-shafts than to replace a boot kit. A re-manufactured half-axle isn't too expensive either.

Pump again huh? Seems pretty expensive for a P/S pump...what kind of vehicle are we talking about? Must be a bear of a job for that kind of money.

Where are the oil leaks?

rover 25, they said it wood take 4 & a half hours to do, thats without having the boots fitted either.

don`t no were the leeks coming from, but i have no oil on the drive, just power steering fluid.

just been qouted £242 for the pump lol, cheaper new.

Last edited:
any one have any decent sites for carparts, that they have used and are trusted.

Back