Motor crashing past 30E

waqy

Hey everyone,

I have the below setup at home:

• Dark-Sat Dark Motor with 100cm dish and Techno-mate LNB
  • VU Uno 4K box with OpenATV 6.1

Recently, the motor has stopped working/misaligning when going to a satellite past 30E, e.g. 39E or 42E

It causes my receiver to crash, and will slow the box down for some reason.

If i try to go to Positioner Setup on the main menu I get the following:

vMFhCo2.png

a8BV3lH.png

I've had to manually send the motor to 0 and then restart the box a couple of times to get it working again.

0.8W, 13E, 16E, 19E, 23.5E all work fine, but if I go to a sat in the 30s it will mess up.

Should I consider replacing my motor? Which one would you recommend?

Last edited:
Look at the error, its a software fault in the box. Openatv 6.1 is ancient. The latest for your box is 6.4

its here

update box but if unsure what to do post back.

openATV Nightly Downloads
Sorry, my fault. I actaully already am on 6.4

nVNz7NR.png

I even installed the RC1 version of OpenATV (version 7 i believe) and that had the same problem eventually too, so its definitely a hardware issue in my mind.

Therefore my next question would be:

The

Moteck SG2100A​

or

Technomate TM-2300 M3 ?​

Last edited:
Never used Moteck so couldn't advise. Technomate I have used with out any problems
Manual east and west button and reset button on the motor Moves smoothly from east to west

The fact you think the motor is faulty should not prevent you from accessing the positioner setup. The fact you get that error points to either the box or the image. Take lead off receiver and then try if you can access the positioner.

How long have you had the dark motor, I have had one for 13 years

The fact you think the motor is faulty should not prevent you from accessing the positioner setup. The fact you get that error points to either the box or the image. Take lead off receiver and then try if you can access the positioner.

How long have you had the dark motor, I have had one for 13 years
Ok, went back to positioner setup and box crashed. Did this another 2 times and it still crashed.

Unscrewed the motor satellite wire from tuner 1, and I was able to access Positioner Setup.

So its not a software issue, but a hardware issue. Now I need to find out if its the box or the motor itself.

What would you recommend I try next. please?

I have had the motor for about 6 years, i'd say.

Picture of motor
uL8HxoT.png

First thing is check the cable cable in the F connector that goes to box and make sure none of the outer braid is touching the inner core. Use a magnifying glass if needs be. Then plug cable in to the other tuner socket and configure for USALS and see if that works. Also if you can reach motor try the buttons that move it east and west . Its a new fault to me but these motors can become iffy and to save lots of messing people would just replace them. That dark motor is evry popular but at the moment I think they are in short supply. An alternative is the Technomate 2600 or a Motech sg100a.

I have more than one box so if I get an issue I can swop and change. 6 years is not long but like everything stuff does go belly up.

By the way have you looked at the crash log?

First thing is check the cable cable in the F connector that goes to box and make sure none of the outer braid is touching the inner core. Use a magnifying glass if needs be. Then plug cable in to the other tuner socket and configure for USALS and see if that works. Also if you can reach motor try the buttons that move it east and west . Its a new fault to me but these motors can become iffy and to save lots of messing people would just replace them. That dark motor is evry popular but at the moment I think they are in short supply. An alternative is the Technomate 2600 or a Motech sg100a.

I have more than one box so if I get an issue I can swop and change. 6 years is not long but like everything stuff does go belly up.

By the way have you looked at the crash log?

Cable is fine on both ends, and there's no braiding or shielding touching the actual F connector.

If I switch the motor from Tuner 1 to Tuner 2, then I face the same issue.

28.2E works fine on both tuners.

As mentioned before, if I take out the motor cable from behind the box, I can access Positioner Setup as normal. I think there's an irregular power draw somewhere?

I'm gonna pop down to B&Q tomorrow, and get some cabling and redo the cable. That's the cheapest option for me, at this moment in time. The current cable installed is also joined somewhere between the motor and STB with a F-plug connector.

I've got the log file attached, but I can't make head nor tails of it.

Attachments

• enigma2_crash_1660590277.txt
    43.1 KB · Views: 6
It is crashing on transponder.py. Try OpenPLi or OpenViX.

Code:
20:04:37.7747 [   ] dvb/decoder.cpp:251 ~eDVBAudio [eDVBAudio0] destroy
20:04:37.7790 { E } getRawChannel failed
20:04:37.7796 { E } getRawChannel failed
20:04:37.7831 {   } [Screen] Showing screen 'QuickMenu'.
20:04:37.7841 {   } Traceback (most recent call last):
20:04:37.7851 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/ActionMap.py", line 57, in action
20:04:37.7860 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/Infopanel/QuickMenu.py", line 383, in ok
20:04:37.7867 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/Infopanel/QuickMenu.py", line 514, in okSubList
20:04:37.7871 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/Infopanel/QuickMenu.py", line 617, in PositionerMain
20:04:37.7876 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 359, in open
20:04:37.7883 {   }     dlg = self.current_dialog = self.instantiateDialog(screen, *arguments, **kwargs)
20:04:37.7887 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 294, in instantiateDialog
20:04:37.7893 {   }     return self.doInstantiateDialog(screen, arguments, kwargs, self.desktop)
20:04:37.7897 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 316, in doInstantiateDialog
20:04:37.7902 {   }     dlg = screen(self, *arguments, **kwargs)
20:04:37.7906 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/PositionerSetup/plugin.py", line 161, in __init__
20:04:37.7912 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/PositionerSetup/plugin.py", line 650, in tuningChangedTo
20:04:37.7916 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Tools/Transponder.py", line 99, in ConvertToHumanReadable
20:04:37.7922 { E } TypeError: int() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'

Edit 1:
Is the image date correct?

crashdate=Mon Aug 15 20:04:38 2022
compiledate=Jan 26 2022
skin=MetrixHD/skin.MySkin.xml
sourcedate=2022-01-25
branch=6.4
rev=2.8.0-22493-g9010770
component=Enigma2

Edit 2:
Issue raised with OpenATV
Code:
https://github.com/openatv/enigma2/issues/2485

Last edited:
A joined cable is not a good idea on a motor so get new cable but good stuff. This looks ok

Time NX100 Black Coaxial cable​

But as Abu says try a different image as you are getting a software fault on box.

Cable is fine on both ends, and there's no braiding or shielding touching the actual F connector.

As mentioned before, if I take out the motor cable from behind the box, I can access Positioner Setup as normal. I think there's an irregular power draw somewhere?

I'm gonna pop down to B&Q tomorrow, and get some cabling and redo the cable. That's the cheapest option for me, at this moment in time. The current cable installed is also joined somewhere between the motor and STB with a F-plug connector.

If your near liverpool I have a full roll of cable in garage.... Paul

The braid SHOULD be making good contact with the F connector,
It should NOT be touching the inner core.
I'd stay well away from cheap stuff from b&q, get some CT100/WF100 or similar

It is crashing on transponder.py. Try OpenPLi or OpenViX.

Code:
20:04:37.7747 [   ] dvb/decoder.cpp:251 ~eDVBAudio [eDVBAudio0] destroy
20:04:37.7790 { E } getRawChannel failed
20:04:37.7796 { E } getRawChannel failed
20:04:37.7831 {   } [Screen] Showing screen 'QuickMenu'.
20:04:37.7841 {   } Traceback (most recent call last):
20:04:37.7851 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/ActionMap.py", line 57, in action
20:04:37.7860 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/Infopanel/QuickMenu.py", line 383, in ok
20:04:37.7867 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/Infopanel/QuickMenu.py", line 514, in okSubList
20:04:37.7871 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/Infopanel/QuickMenu.py", line 617, in PositionerMain
20:04:37.7876 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 359, in open
20:04:37.7883 {   }     dlg = self.current_dialog = self.instantiateDialog(screen, *arguments, **kwargs)
20:04:37.7887 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 294, in instantiateDialog
20:04:37.7893 {   }     return self.doInstantiateDialog(screen, arguments, kwargs, self.desktop)
20:04:37.7897 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 316, in doInstantiateDialog
20:04:37.7902 {   }     dlg = screen(self, *arguments, **kwargs)
20:04:37.7906 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/PositionerSetup/plugin.py", line 161, in __init__
20:04:37.7912 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/PositionerSetup/plugin.py", line 650, in tuningChangedTo
20:04:37.7916 {   }   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Tools/Transponder.py", line 99, in ConvertToHumanReadable
20:04:37.7922 { E } TypeError: int() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'

Edit 1:
Is the image date correct?

crashdate=Mon Aug 15 20:04:38 2022
compiledate=Jan 26 2022
skin=MetrixHD/skin.MySkin.xml
sourcedate=2022-01-25
branch=6.4
rev=2.8.0-22493-g9010770
component=Enigma2

Edit 2:
Issue raised with OpenATV
Code:
https://github.com/openatv/enigma2/issues/2485

@Abu Baniaz thanks for raising the issue with OpenATV.

I still think its a hardware issue as the crash doesn't happen when I unplug the motor cable from the STB. I can then access Positioner Setup as normal

A joined cable is not a good idea on a motor so get new cable but good stuff. This looks ok

Time NX100 Black Coaxial cable​

But as Abu says try a different image as you are getting a software fault on box.
Thanks for the cable suggestion. How does NX100 compare to what @steptoe recommends (CT100/WF100)?

If your near liverpool I have a full roll of cable in garage.... Paul

Thanks for the offer @plasterer, but I'm all the way down south! (y)

Do you still get a crash if you don't use positioner setup? You would have to use USALS motor controls instead of Diseqc motor controls. Install a channel list and select a channel on 39e.

Ok, old wiring removed and new CT100 cable installed. Still the same issue

Do you still get a crash if you don't use positioner setup? You would have to use USALS motor controls instead of Diseqc motor controls. Install a channel list and select a channel on 39e.
Can you explain the USALS motor controls part please? I thought I was already using USALS as I had the positioner set up in Tuner Configuration

It's funny you mentioned 39E, as the satellite seems to be stuck on this.

When I opened the 39E services list I noticed some of the channels had EPG data:
WET6TA9.png

I seem to be geting signal on AMC for example, but Tuner C is being used it seems as opposed to Tuner A:
FWWqUgR.png

If I go to Al Jazeera, then Tuner A is being used but there's no signal:
vtkkJwm.png

Here is the Tuner Config page:
R7i7HDN.png

I've tried opening a channel on 0.8W,16E,42E etc but the motor won't move.

Is the next step to replace the motor, or the STB? :disrelieved:

Under USALS have you input your location details, ie latitude and longitude, I know it sounds dumb but need to be sure. And are you going to try the openvix image. dont replace anything just yet

Under USALS have you input your location details, ie latitude and longitude, I know it sounds dumb but need to be sure. And are you going to try the openvix image. dont replace anything just yet
Yes, Long + Lat have been configured, and have always been like that.

So here's a WEIRD update:

I deleted the channel lists for 39E and 42E

Tried to go to Positioner Setup, and it crashed on me once more, and the box restarted.

Now all of a sudden, Positioner Setup is working as normal, and I can drive it to 0.8W using the Go To X function:

VE3VW7j.png

Here's me scanning 10E:

p4RiKSD.png

Here's ESPN HD on 23.5E:

qq47sxz.png

What the hell is going on?

Back