N00b needs some advice on box/setup

Hi guys,

Apologies if this is not in the correct section.

I've been in the UK for about 6months, (apologies for incorrect english) I don't watch any TV but I'm moving my mother over from Mauritius and I just purchased a television and would like to get her some asian and french channels. The leading provider seems quite expensive. I purchased an overbox m9s with preinstalled iptv which was frankly hurtful to use.

It's my understanding that sly channels are now scrambled so I was planning on going down the vm line route.

From perusing the forums over a few days it's my understanding that I'll need a Zgemma box. I understand that the "h2h" model will suffice, does anyone have any experience with this box or other zgemma boxes? I don't need to record but would like a box that does not freeze due to insufficient processing power.

I also understand I'll need a vm line. I currently have no broadband and intend on purchasing the cheapest vm broadband package. I've also read that I'll need a F socket to coax, some coax cable and a two way splitter. Is there any other things I'll need?

Lastly, I understand I'll have to request a vm line in the requests section. Roughly how much can I expect to pay? Do I have to specify anything other than that? I.e if I want an epg? Or do I have to specify what channels I want?

Sorry for such a long post, I appreciate it must be frustrating answering questions that have already been asked on here. I just want to be sure that the information I'm using is up to date. Particularly since the first youtube video I found researching this was titled "is zgemma dead".

Many thanks for your help and your patience.

A.K

Hi A. K you are correct in your post about what you have posted when you get your box and you set it up you will flash an image onto it which has epg on it for you it's good to see people doing research then asking the questions you say you are getting the lowest virgin are you sure virgin is in the area where you live

Hi Baz,

Thanks for the reply and confirming. My neighbour has vm broadband. I was just about to check on the vm website but it seems to be down for me atm.

Edit: just confirmed vm 50meg is available.

I figure I'll get everything ordered and request a vm line once all is received.

Thanks again

Last edited:
if you want primarily French and Asian channels VM is NOT what you want imho
you would want a satellite dish pointing at foreign satellites with a eurosub

Thanks for the reply steptoe. I'll certainly look into it. I don't know much about satellite installations but I imagine I'll run into some issues given the absurdity of the property I live in.

It's a basement flat, the family above me and towards the back of the building have a small balcony where they've squeezed in a mini dish. It's for sky and they've given me permission to use the free sockets on their lnb as they only use a single feed. I doubt they would let me put up a dish of my own.

The man who owns the property above us definitely would not give me permission to put up dish.

The only available space I have outdoors is where there's a small gap that is directly opposite a neighbours wall, I don't think I'd get a viable signal there.

Thanks for the reply steptoe. I'll certainly look into it. I don't know much about satellite installations but I imagine I'll run into some issues given the absurdity of the property I live in.

It's a basement flat, the family above me and towards the back of the building have a small balcony where they've squeezed in a mini dish. It's for sky and they've given me permission to use the free sockets on their lnb as they only use a single feed. I doubt they would let me put up a dish of my own.

The man who owns the property above us definitely would not give me permission to put up dish.

The only available space I have outdoors is where there's a small gap that is directly opposite a neighbours wall, I don't think I'd get a viable signal there.

well, you wont get much French or Asian channels on VM
its a UK service, so will be UK channels in English language

well, you wont get much French or Asian channels on VM
its a UK service, so will be UK channels in English language

I've confirmed with virgin that they have 7 of the most popular asian channels, which I feel is enough. As for French TV5monde is what we're looking for, I think this is also on vm.

You could have virgin and a decent iptv sub on the same box mate so you get uk channels and most and probably the other channels your looking for which would be an added bonus for you and your family if not fussed about UK channels then as steptoe says there's not many on sattalite and don't know with virgin but there is a wider choice on iptv for you

You could have virgin and a decent iptv sub on the same box mate so you get uk channels and most and probably the other channels your looking for which would be an added bonus for you and your family if not fussed about UK channels then as steptoe says there's not many on sattalite and don't know with virgin but there is a wider choice on iptv for you

Thanks, I'll have to check out some test lines on here. I've had a bad experience with iptv on a overbox m9s purchased from a popular auction site.

I figure I'll need broadband anyway and the vm package seems reasonable for 12months. And I've ordered a Zgemma box, I guess I'll try an iptv line first and hopefully with a more reliable supplier it will work better.

Thanks for all your help.

An overbox is a very bad clone of an openbox so no wonder you had problems.
A sky mini dish will only give non-sky channels [with a sub] but Sony are realy creeping into the market so there is a good supply of asian based channels available on 28.2e.
A simple android tv box with iptv would give you all you want plus more at a good price.
Reaper.

As Reaper says,buy a decent Android box,install Aftershock add on for your Asian channels and movies,Also download perfect player for iptv and get a sub from the request section.Obviously,you will need broadband,whatever route you decide to go down.

If you have an android mobile phone try and find a apk for livenettv and mx player, you can do this for tree and it will give you a idea of what you can get for free. Livenetv has loads of asian channels in the main entertainment bit. It also has channels via language and there is a french option.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll certainly look into android boxes and livenetv.

The reason I considered the vm line route to begin with is it seemed the most simple, reliable and least arduous setup after having such a horrendous experience with an overbox, before I found this forum. Also in my research, the name zgemma seems the most ubiquitous, my mother isn't very technical, she would have trouble having to navigate several menus to select channels.

I've already ordered a zgemma box but this is easily returned.

My vm broadband is scheduled to be installed in 14 days. My mother arrives around christmas time so I have plenty of time to test and research some of your recommendations.

I'll look into android boxes on here later. @kegnkiwi the language option sounds really great.

Despite my main requirement being french and asian channels, I'm also quite eager now to see what english channels have to offer. Particularly since it will help improve my English.

I very rarely watch TV myself but I watched some free BBC and channel no4 dramas yesterday and have to say you British make some really great shows.

Thanks all for your help. I'll post back here to let you all know what I eventually go with.

Back