New boiler time.

Vumon

TK Supporter
Had an Intergas HRE 36/30 fitted in 2009 and to be honest its been a cracker and has been completely trouble free even though its only had about 3 services in that time.

The fan bearings are pretty much shot now and it's turned into a proper noisy bugger and the plastics have also degraded (broken) over the last 15 years and the casing is pretty much held together with duct tape! :LOL: The internals are spot on though.

I reckon it will cost £500 to get a new fan and the plastics replaced + a service and whatever else it might need, so im thinking of changing it for another Intergas- probably the same model. I don't mind paying a bit more for something decent and Worcester Bosch keep popping up, but it seems like they aren't has good as they were. Anyway, quote for a new one is £2.4k.

Looking for a few pointers please. Cheers. :)

I don't know what way it is in your area but usually if a boiler is 15 years old or more you are entitled to a grant to replace it based on your earnings, could save you between 500-1k

My boiler is at least 20 years old. Every winter I pray it keeps working. I did think about a pre-emptive upgrade couple of years ago and was told to just keep it if it's working. All the buttons on the front are goosed, but I control it with a Hive thermostat. I was also looking at Worcester Bosch - they seem to be one of the best companies for boilers I believe and I was being quoted similar prices. You get zero joy in spending money on a new boiler - one of life's necessities in the UK.

That's it aye. Zero joy at all, but I think we do tend to take them for granted.

Fortunately I'm in the situation that its not broken down and I'm not desperate but one day it will happen as they don't last forever.

Had an Intergas HRE 36/30 fitted in 2009 and to be honest its been a cracker and has been completely trouble free even though its only had about 3 services in that time.

The fan bearings are pretty much shot now and it's turned into a proper noisy bugger and the plastics have also degraded (broken) over the last 15 years and the casing is pretty much held together with duct tape! :LOL: The internals are spot on though.

I reckon it will cost £500 to get a new fan and the plastics replaced + a service and whatever else it might need, so im thinking of changing it for another Intergas- probably the same model. I don't mind paying a bit more for something decent and Worcester Bosch keep popping up, but it seems like they aren't has good as they were. Anyway, quote for a new one is £2.4k.

Looking for a few pointers please. Cheers. :)
Just get a glowworm or WB greenstar combi for £500-£600 and fit it yourself, there's only five pipes to connect and they're already there, basically you are paying someone £1900 for a few hours work

I've just had a combi fitted to replace a system boiler, it's an Ideal. The guy who fitted it only fits these, he used to fit Worcester Bosch but says they're overpriced now. Dunno if I can recommend it personally yet... does everything it's supposed to.

I've just had a combi fitted to replace a system boiler, it's an Ideal. The guy who fitted it only fits these, he used to fit Worcester Bosch but says they're overpriced now. Dunno if I can recommend it personally yet... does everything it's supposed to.
How much and how many kw if you don't mind me asking?

Just get a glowworm or WB greenstar combi for £500-£600 and fit it yourself, there's only five pipes to connect and they're already there, basically you are paying someone £1900 for a few hours work
Hope you managed to get someone who is gas registered to sign it off totally illegal, even for the safety of you familly.

That's it aye. Zero joy at all, but I think we do tend to take them for granted.

Fortunately I'm in the situation that its not broken down and I'm not desperate but one day it will happen as they don't last forever.
Trust me talking from experience these things decide to go at the worst time ..and then u can't find anyone to do work for right price..plus so busy your waiting a few weeks.

Hope you managed to get someone who is gas registered to sign it off totally illegal, even for the safety of you familly.
Modern boilers either work or they don't, there is no setting up, they work out of the box.
Yes you need a small amount of know how, ie, don't connect the water to the gas inlet because water doesn't burn. There's that many failsafe systems built in that there's zero chance of anything going wrong.
It's not illegal to work on gas in your own home, the rule is the person needs to be "competent", I am, it's been in 4 years without a problem, and the one it replaced had been in 12 years and I fitted that too.

I fitted my own boiler in my last house and never had any problems with it.

I only got Heatable in to fit the new boiler in my current house because I wanted it moving to the other side of the house and couldn't be arsed with it.
Both mine have been a straight swap, the cold inlet pipe needed moving last time but I just used a flexi hose with a ball fix fitting

Modern boilers either work or they don't, there is no setting up, they work out of the box.
Yes you need a small amount of know how, ie, don't connect the water to the gas inlet because water doesn't burn. There's that many failsafe systems built in that there's zero chance of anything going wrong.
It's not illegal to work on gas in your own home, the rule is the person needs to be "competent", I am, it's been in 4 years without a problem, and the one it replaced had been in 12 years and I fitted that too.
in the Uk it is illegal whether it is your own home or not I am a retired Plumber

Is it illegal to install your own gas boiler?

It is illegal to install a boiler by yourself. A boiler should be fitted by a Gas Safe registered engineer, and under Building Regulations, you can only register a boiler through Gas Safe. You must be qualified if you want to avoid severe consequences.19 May 2023

The only severe consequences in the past 16+ years have been the gas and electricty bills but I like to think that the 4K I've saved on fitting have gone a long way towards paying them

Worcester bosh or Vaillant both are high quality boilers a good friend of mine is a installer and said they both excellent boilers very little come back

I had a Worcester Bosch Greenstar fitted by Boxt, couldnt have been happer with it.
I had the WB 240 before that a nd it was 25 years old and I just bit the bullet. All pipework was included in the cost. I got a free Nest with it too for £2300, 2 years back.
They send all the kit on the morning its being fitted. Gear was here for 08:00hrs and gas fitter tipped up 15 mins later. All cleaned and tidied before he went. They have to take pictures of everything before they leave.

Back