New boiler time.

Good option to save some money. My prev boiler went last Sept and I bought the Worcester Bosch 8000 with flue for cheapest I could find and paid an installer £350 to install.
That's not bad, I don't know how companies can charge 2.5 - 3k for supply and fit when often the boiler is less than a grand including the flue kit

Modern boilers either work or they don't, there is no setting up, they work out of the box.
Yes you need a small amount of know how, ie, don't connect the water to the gas inlet because water doesn't burn. There's that many failsafe systems built in that there's zero chance of anything going wrong.
It's not illegal to work on gas in your own home, the rule is the person needs to be "competent", I am, it's been in 4 years without a problem, and the one it replaced had been in 12 years and I fitted that too.
A decent boiler these days costs upwards of a £1000 and companies like WB will give a comprehensive 10 yrs parts and labour warranty if installed by an approved company. Thats a hell of a deal to throw away by installing the boiler yourself. Just a matter of nterest , do you even own a device like a "Telegan" that is used to check carbon emmisions on completion of install , part of the commissioning procedure ? Those machines cost over £500.

I also am a retired heating engineer . family business, son owns it now. We only did supply and fit . Would not quote for fit only.t.
There are multiple reasons for the above from a business point of view.
Yes but there's plenty of registered plumbers who will fit them

Just a matter of nterest , do you even own a device like a "Telegan" that is used to check carbon emmisions on completion of install , part of the commissioning procedure ? Those machines cost over £500.
No I don't own one of those but what would cause the boiler to put out more carbon than its supposed to?
On a related note, did you know that to produce one 25kg bag of cement, 20kg of carbon is released into the atmosphere and a 30g bag of crisps equates to 50g of carbon

A decent boiler these days costs upwards of a £1000 and companies like WB will give a comprehensive 10 yrs parts and labour warranty if installed by an approved company. Thats a hell of a deal to throw away by installing the boiler yourself. Just a matter of nterest , do you even own a device like a "Telegan" that is used to check carbon emmisions on completion of install , part of the commissioning procedure ? Those machines cost over £500.
Yes but as you know you a still supposed to get boiler serviced every year for warranty.

No I don't own one of those but what would cause the boiler to put out more carbon than its supposed to?
On a related note, did you know that to produce one 25kg bag of cement, 20kg of carbon is released into the atmosphere and a 30g bag of crisps equates to 50g of carbon
:laughing::laughing: thanks for that. sadly it won't help a condensing boiler operate safely and efficiently :LOL:

It fires up when it's supposed to and it gets the radiators hot, and it uses less gas than the previous one so as far as I'm concerned it's fitted OK.
I can't really believe that someone would buy and fit a boiler in someone's house, only to then test it and it fails miserably and then they'd have to take it out, return it and then fit a different boiler, all for no extra charge?

Worcester bosh or Vaillant both are high quality boilers a good friend of mine is a installer and said they both excellent boilers very little come back
I second Vailant, Had one fitted not had one issue in 5 years (touch wood).

In the last house we did up, we had an Ideal vogue (i think it was called ). I think they are decent aswell.

I fitted my own boiler in my last house and never had any problems with it.

I only got Heatable in to fit the new boiler in my current house because I wanted it moving to the other side of the house and couldn't be arsed with it.
Man of many talents I also fitted my own in the past. Service and chitty after 1 year for £50 is fine for house insurance.

Mine will be getting done by an approved installer so I can keep the warranty intact. I work away and don't need any aggro if it goes tits up.

Mine will be getting done by an approved installer so I can keep the warranty intact. I work away and don't need any aggro if it goes tits up.

That was a big part of my decision to bite the bullet and buy a new one, the fact I'd have a 7 year parts and labour warranty on it so going from having it in the back of my mind that the old boiler could go kaput at any point, to having the peace of mind that if anything goes wrong with this one it's a phone call to the fitter and he'll sort it.

It won't matter how efficient your boiler is unless the rest of the house is up to scratch. Look into cavity wall insulation and insulating the attic and draught proofing as well mate

@pupuqiop This is my thought process also. Probably going to go for an Intergas Eco RF and have the mag filter fitted with it. 12 year warranty and hopefully hassle free. Will be speaking to a few installers tomorrow to see if there's anything else worth considering.

It won't matter how efficient your boiler is unless the rest of the house is up to scratch. Look into cavity wall insulation and insulating the attic and draught proofing as well mate
All done here. Rock doors, new windows etc. My current boiler runs for less than half an hour a day two or three times a week when on CH in winter.

Back