New European super league includes six EPL teams

It's a terrible idea, even if I was a plastic Manchester United fan I wouldn't support that!
Three of the super 6 probably won't finish in the top 6 !

I hope it doesn’t come off , French and German clubs not joining so can hardly call itself a European super league - only 3 countries in it , 12 teams playing each other 4 times a season , maybe 5 or 6 if they invent some cups . Will die a death especially if players aren’t allowed to play for their national teams . The lower leagues are required to bring on players ... Eg Vardy , what about Henderson going to Sheff Utd for experience - that won’t be able to happen.

I hope it doesn’t come off , French and German clubs not joining so can hardly call itself a European super league - only 3 countries in it , 12 teams playing each other 4 times a season , maybe 5 or 6 if they invent some cups . Will die a death especially if players aren’t allowed to play for their national teams . The lower leagues are required to bring on players ... Eg Vardy , what about Henderson going to Sheff Utd for experience - that won’t be able to happen.
The game has now got a global audience and with internet streaming the opportunity to make billions of pounds from a product we called football is obvious.
Rich owners want a return on their money and rightly so. Football today is a business and the owners of the big 6 are businessmen.
Uefa started the ball rolling inventing a champions league for money including teams who are not champions. Fifa took bribes to give Qatar the world cup.
Blatter and Platini were as straight as a banana. The Premier League who are crying like babies are the biggest hypocrites they formed by taking clubs away from the football league in 1992.
Along with SKY tv we now have games played on all days of the week and at silly times.
Now because other parties want to muscle in on this and form a european super league all hell will break loose.
I personally am all for a european super league as I believe in progress and change. I know some people still watch tv in black and white and don't have a mobile phone. If you stand still the world will pass you by. I fully understand the uproar, its mostly by the teams not in the big 6 because they will no longer be able to leech from the big 6 teams gate receipts etc.
The chuckle brother Gary Neville spouting nonsense on sky saying its all about greed but he himself has his nose in hotels, restaurants, properties and other business projects which is greed.
Footballer wont be bothered about limp threats of being banned from playing for their country. Rat face Vardy turned down the opportunity to play for his country in 2018 and so will other players.
All these threats of banning players and teams from competitions are nonsense as well. The whole thing won't happen it's just paper talk lol.
And if it does Gary Neville will deffo be on the studio team who broadcast the games giving his tuppence worth.
Stop the minor teams leeching off the big ones! Business is business!

Can't say I'd be a fan of it, it goes against everything that I believe in. This super league is driven by greed pure and simple. While it will be a league of sorts, with no promotion or relegation, it becomes a franchise system similar to US sports.
Fully agree with the points made about EUFA and the Premier League being hypocrites, they both have come about by splitting, and as for the champions league, itsca competition ruined when non champions play in it.
I, for one, will not be attending any further games if this league comes to fruition.

If I supported one of those 6 clubs, I wouldnt be happy if they break away, I have 2 sons that support man utd, both in a club that travel over regularly to Manchester , pre covid. one of my other sons is the secretary of Liverpool supporters club, same with his club, they go to a lot of games. all are against this idea, as are the majority. but it will never happen . just cant see it working. same teams playing each other season after season, not much to get excited about there.

They think having these super big clubs in the new league will instantly be big numbers and money rolling in.

Maybe for a season or two but then it will get stale with the same clubs playing each other in the "super league"

Long term wise this league will struggle to survive.

They think having these super big clubs in the new league will instantly be big numbers and money rolling in.

Maybe for a season or two but then it will get stale with the same clubs playing each other in the "super league"

Long term wise this league will struggle to survive.
well the idea i believe is to make it a global league, a world league if you like, being beamed live across the world.
i also think each club will negotiate the rights to screen their own home games by ppv thus raking in millions of pounds per match.
just think how much a team like real madrid could earn from one game with a world wide fan base of 252 million at say £5 per game = 1.2 billion per match?
money talks

252 million , are there that many people in cuckoo land . Can’t see people in other parts of the world getting up a 4 am each week to watch football

Fans of Premier League teams all over the world actually to do stay up late or get up early to watch matches live on TV, social media is full of em.

If they choose to go with the PPV model for the games maybe they will make a killing but will also sure the greed that they will want people to pay for each game.

Clubs would make stupid amounts potentially per game also.

If they choose to go with the PPV model for the games maybe they will make a killing but will also sure the greed that they will want people to pay for each game.

Clubs would make stupid amounts potentially per game also.
Yes ppv would have to be done correctly through trial and error to get to a point where there are millions of takers who are happy to pay the fee involved. But even with 5 million at £5 a game its a nice £25 million per game. As has been said many times, live streaming is the here and now and definitely the future, with most countries having access to fibre optic its ideal.
Rich owners who invest money are not stupid they want a return on their money. The Glazers at Man United are very very shrewd businessmen who make money full stop. Winning trophies or silverware is not in their plan it's making money money money. And from merchandise and tv money and corporate boxes and sponsorship that's what they do.
They probably don't know a football is round lol

Thats the same as epl each week each season playing each other and we all tune in to watch it week in week out.
Only difference would be no teams relagated or promoted take that out of epl and would be same as this supposed super league.

Joel Glazer of MUFC is vice-chairman of the new ESL, whose the chairman then?

The ESL said the founding clubs had agreed to establish a "new midweek competition" and that the inaugural season "is intended to commence as soon as practicable".

It also "anticipated that a further three clubs will join" the breakaway.

He said: "By bringing together the world's greatest clubs and players to play each other throughout the season, the Super League will open a new chapter for European football, ensuring world-class competition and facilities, and increased financial support for the wider football pyramid."

Everything is moving really swiftly. Clearly the big clubs don't give a toss of potential consequences from FIFA, UEFA, domestic boards.

Question is do these bodies have the bottle to do anything to stop this. Sadly I think they won't be able to.

News on this is crazy and will be for some time it seems.

Could not be less assed.

I support a league 2 club and also follow a team waaaaayyy down the pyramid.

Either the new interplanetary mega league will be a roaring success, in which we have a new boss competition.

Or, more likely, it's an utter flop and we get the schadenfreude.

Football will be fine without them. Arsenal, Tottenham, man city... Chelsea. El oh effing el.

Imagine English football without any if those teams and..... Yep it's pretty much the same.

Liverpool and united you lose a bit, but even so, happy to wave them off to the Dubai enormodome for their annual derby awayday. Don't forget to pack your banners and print off your vaccine passports, suckers. Don't forget to leave a yelp review of the 7*, "brought to you by forced labour" Sky City Hotel.

By the people for the people

ynwa etc

So looks like it’s a replacement for champions league to run alongside the premier league if allowed. No relegation and a definite place for the ’founders’ with 5 other clubs invited to join each year ... leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Back