New firestick OS

Is it worth me upgrading to the new 4k max stick.
I am having issues with my current one when live football is on.

Brown marks come on the screen but when I'm using the app through the TV the brown marks don't appear.

Really can't see that happening with existing devices out in the field. More likely they will introduce it to new devices going forward and phase it in that way.

Cant see Google allowing that myself seeing as the OS is a custom android fork and Google acquired android many moons ago.
Cause they can just call it amazon app store nobody csn stop them really. Amazon is going linux

All depends on developers. If they are going closed source Linux, then great - we have another brick brand in the industry (Roku). If the devs don't want to write/port their apps to amazon's new OS, it's literally just going to be another bloated locked OS like Tizen or Rokus.
This will be interesting to how open/closed they make it. I can imagine it being a closed system though so you can't just install any Linux software — like Android emulators :tearsofjoy: .

I've developed with React Native and it's pretty decent now (not so much in the early days). Not sure I could wrap my head around an IPTV app mind, but it may open the possibility of an IPTV app which has an iOS+Android+Firestick+web app with mostly the same code, should the dev choose so. Though who knows if Amazon will cripple it.

Yeah that would be a nightmare Mike 👍
Don't think anything like that is going to happen! They have too many devices across the spectrum, including Tablets on a worldwide basis!
It's an idea only and would be a huge expensive exercise that wouldn't get off the ground

Don't think anything like that is going to happen! They have too many devices across the spectrum, including Tablets on a worldwide basis!
It's an idea only and would be a huge expensive exercise that wouldn't get off the ground
Yep you are right I don't think it will be that easy to change over after so many people have bought firestick because it's android and you can do lots of stuff with it. Changing it means they will lose a lot more than gain I think

Last edited:
As we near the end of the year lads, I think everyone now gets that the fire stick is in for a change to Linux,but it’s still really unclear exactly when,or exactly what,or if it can be worked around,but someone will get an update soon,from an undisclosed source like they always do.

As we near the end of the year lads, I think everyone now gets that the fire stick is in for a change to Linux,but it’s still really unclear exactly when,or exactly what,or if it can be worked around,but someone will get an update soon,from an undisclosed source like they always do.
I don't think it will change to Linux 😕

Yep you are right I don't think it will be that easy to change over after so many people have bought firestick because it's android and you can do lots of stuff with it. Changing it means they will lose a lot more than gain I think
Do alot more with linux if you know what you ate doing

Bezos is for changing everything he can get his hands on,from rockets to cars to online gadgets to social media,the guy just can’t think of what to be up to next,as we have seen a hell of a lot of his tinkering has already backfired on him….His last rocket ship blew up……just buy yer self an island Jeff,pour yourself a good long drink,and as your lying on the sun lounger listening to the laps of the carribean waves, just give yersel peace my man.👍

Back