Newbie looking for some advice :)

zeeman28

Hi all,

I have been meaning to get set up with IPTV for sometime now but have never got round to it. We have just moved house so looking to get it installed.

This has probably been discussed on numerous occasions and I have been reading through a lot of threads regarding which box to get etc. From what I see there is a lot of positive things to be said for the Nvidia Shield. I guess what I am looking for is a bit of advice as to what I need and what is a good setup for my needs.
  • I only plan to use this for IPTV at them moment (I see gaming mentioned a lot)
  • Budget is not an issue
  • I am complete newbie, never had IPTV before so looking for ease of use, reliability and performance.
I know there is no set in stone answer to what is the best as everyone has different opinions and different requirements. I just want to get a bit more info on what peoples opinions are and what features the boxes such as the shield offer.

Hope that makes sense :), thanks.

I personally have always just used FireSticks for IPTV and it has always worked really well. I've been tempted to buy a Nvidia Shield though, and probably will switch to one in the coming year or two as my firestick is getting a little bit sluggish... but for now, it works as intended and doesn't interrupt the IPTV service.

If budget isn't an issue, I would get the Shield though from the start... you might want many apps in the future, and it will perform better than something like a firestick.

Also, as you're completely new to IPTV, it is really simple to set up!

Good luck :)

Are you fimiliar with any type of Android box ? Installing apps manually or via downloader ?

Some say the Shield particually the pro is the daddy i have one and prefer the IPTV boxes with inbuilt apps personally.

Buzz
Amiko
Formuler ranges to name a few.

Take a look at those although none will have a 4k apps the Shield do most TV's have those anyway and the shield does not have all4 anyway.

Thanks for everyone's opinions, much appreciated. I will probably go with the shield or one of the dedicated IPTV boxes (looking into the suggestions above) for my main one and buy something like the firestick for the bar as it wont be used as much.

I had a Z Gemma box previously and I set it up with the sky Q skin etc which I found easy enough but I just never got round to finding a good sub so never did anything with it.

i think with regular maintenance a firestick is fine, however after a year or so id recommend upgrading they tend not to age well, they get sort of slow, but if you keep up with your regular maintenance on them like cache clear and deleting unused and old apps should be good. I personally have used them for a long time, i moved to them from android boxes

Thanks for all the comments and advice. Because i would like to put IPTV in the house (3 different rooms) and one in the bar outside I'm going to buy a firestick first (as mentioned above some good BF deals) then I can always buy better for the main room later.

This brings me to the next question lol. Is it worth getting the newer 4k max firestick or the first gen 4k?

Thanks for all the comments and advice. Because i would like to put IPTV in the house (3 different rooms) and one in the bar outside I'm going to buy a firestick first (as mentioned above some good BF deals) then I can always buy better for the main room later.

This brings me to the next question lol. Is it worth getting the newer 4k max firestick or the first gen 4k?
If you want to buy a firestick then 4k max is the one to go. But if you want a box dedicated for IPTV then Z11 pro max is a decent box with its own IPTV app myonline 3 which you won't have to faff around with apps.

Just find a decent provider you are on your way also it will last you for years .
Hope it helps

If you just want IPTV then Nvidia, yes... or Formuler Z11 pro max is good and fairly easy to set up.

You can also get great results with IPTV on the newer Enigma Boxes...the 4k ones that can clear the hevc 256 codec, which is used for FHD and UHD...plus you get a tuner or 2 for aerial, cable or satellite.

Are you fimiliar with any type of Android box ? Installing apps manually or via downloader ?

Some say the Shield particually the pro is the daddy i have one and prefer the IPTV boxes with inbuilt apps personally.

Buzz
Amiko
Formuler ranges to name a few.

Take a look at those although none will have a 4k apps the Shield do most TV's have those anyway and the shield does not have all4 anyway.
Second this. If your only and primary use is IPTV - go with a native IPTV box. My preference is formuler. The TV app and functions work out of the box, colored buttons, guide button all the works. The BT1 remote also has voice control. A formuler z11 pro max with BT1 remote and mytvonline3 is amazing.

I have both a firestick and a shield and both work great. If your new read and lean as much as you can because hands on experience is the best but it comes with time. Thats how I learned about 5-6 years ago

As above, you would be better off learning the ins and outs of IPTV with a firestick first, then moving to the likes of a shield etc

I'm fairly new to this and been more than happy introducing myself with Firestick 4k. Like you said, money is not an issue and looks like you're gonna fit out your space with multiple devices so there's no harm in starting with Firestick and then see if you like/dislike it ready for using something beefier.

I personally have not had the best luck long-term with Amazon Firesticks nor have my friends. I was constantly needing to clear my cache and it has storage/memory limitations. I do have one that I use when traveling but that's it. I have a Sheild Pro and it's great. I highly recommend them. I have a few friends that have the Android boxes and they are sharp as well. There are some good recommendations above but Formuler and Buzz are a few nice ones that I would also recommend. But you cannot go wrong with Nvidia....

I'm always surprised at how slow the firesticks are, even the higher end models (never tried the cube one)

The Nvidia shield pro is still the best in my opinion even if it is over due a refresh.

Back