open vpn tsmedia

Just as a follow on to my notes above. I recently reflashed to woosh base and then upgraded to latest v5. Had issues getting the OpenVPN working. I'm no Linux expert but cobbled the below together to get up and running.

1) CURL is not part of the distribution. Install via:

shell> opkg install curl

2) Running the OpenVPN from command line gave me the error:

ERROR: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such file or directory (errno=2)
Exiting due to fatal error

shell> lsmod |grep tun

returned nothing

Had to manual add the tun module via

shell> modprobe tun

check lsmod again to ensure installed.

3) so its added on each boot add the following

echo modprobe tun >> /etc/rc.modules
chmod +x /etc/rc.modules

something I use a lot, to show me the current IP address of the box. Saves using SSH.

create the following file

/usr/script/SHOW_IP_ADDRESS.sh

stick the following in the file. (remove spaces from the URL as it shows as link here otherwise).

printf "\n"
curl -s http : // checkip. dyndns .com | grep -oE 'body[^<>]*>[^<>]+' | cut -d'>' -f2
printf "\n"
printf "Press EXIT to close dialog window \n\n"

Now from woosh v5, RED button -> PLUGINS -> JOB MANAGER

run the script.

I also use this method for toggling between different VPN connections, by starting and stopping the OPenVPN service and swapping the config files.

IMG_0767.JPG

Last edited:
Hello, I have managed to get my OpenVPN connected using
openvpn --config XXXXXXXXXXX.conf when using the command line.

I cannot get it to automatically start when I turn the box on, I have clicked the Green button and can confirmed autostart is showing as Enabled.

Do you know how to manually edit the autostart file?

I can confirm I have the following files under /etc/openvpn;
XXXXXX.conf
ca.crt
Wdc.key
login.txt

Any ideas?

I plan to put a guide together once this is working :)

I'd check /var/log/messages this should show why the vpn is not starting. Might be permission related or timing related.

also make sure your changes are compatible with the start script here : /etc/init.d/openvpn

worst case you could add the start to a cronjob.

All sorted, I had saved the .ovpn file as .conf but it had a space in it, e.g. XXXX XXXX.conf so I've taken the space out.

something I use a lot, to show me the current IP address of the box. Saves using SSH.

create the following file

/usr/script/SHOW_IP_ADDRESS.sh

stick the following in the file. (remove spaces from the URL as it shows as link here otherwise).

Now from woosh v5, RED button -> PLUGINS -> JOB MANAGER

run the script.

I also use this method for toggling between different VPN connections, by starting and stopping the OPenVPN service and swapping the config files.

View attachment 21101

I can't for the life of me get this to work.. it's saying there's a problem with the body and cut command.. I copied and pasted it as it is and took the spaces out of the link.. no joy

Hi Guys, I have Zgemma H2S Sat Box running wooshbuild 6 and trying to get the openVPN to work (with the above instructions)
I have a IPVanish login and all works fine on PC using the windows download, but having trouble getting it to work on my Sat Box.
I have the opvn files, username+password and cert files, can someone pls guide me how I get this working (linux isnt my thing mind)

hope someone can help......

How can you tell if it's working. I have mine up and running. Want to make sure it's the ip its running on and not my home network ip. Any way to show it througb the box with aplugin?

I can't get it to work anyway. Iv put random conf files in and it just stutters all the time. If I turn it off it's fine.

To find the external IP address, in Vix (dunno about other E2 systems), you should find a NetSpeedTest Plugin in extensions, that is essentially the same as speedtest.net in windows, and does give you your external IP address.

If you can't find that, another easy way that should work for all linux based (and I suspect all E2) systems, is to first putty/telnet into the box, then execute the command:

wget http://ipinfo.io/ip -qO -

Cheers!

Same here.. my etc folder doesnt include this file. However when i head to system/settings/network/services i can see the openvpn section. Any help would be much appreciated.

Back