GrogBuild Openatv no Terminal

They made things difficult before imho, users had to install their own softcam feeds, delete multiple foreign bouquets and plugins etc.
Terminal is easy enough to add from the plugin feeds.
The foreign bouquets were always there. They were asked to remove these, they did so.
Default sat installation · Issue #1099 · openatv/enigma2

OpenATV have never had softcams on their image. Reason being is that they are illegal in some countries. As OpenATV is also shipped as the stock image from some receivers. So instead of risking trouble with the law, they just stay clear of it.

The "secret feed" aka softcam feed has always been made available. There have been a few changes and people are using old ones despite new ones being made available.

OpenATV have had a menu restructure to improve things.

OpenATV have always used /usr/keys for softcam config files whereas all other images use more or less standard locations. /usr/keys is only used for mgcamd. Presumably, reasoning was that all of them would be in the same place and a backup would just need to backup one location. This means cams have to be made specifically for them. Installation scripts can add symlinks, but fast restore does not restore them. So a move to standard locations just makes it easier.

They have also started to use the same method to control cams as PLI. Again, just makes it easier and simpler.

Some PLi stuff ... · openatv/enigma2@966fdeb
Optimize PLi changes for ATV · openatv/enigma2@3e49a25

Terminal in OpenWebIf (OWIF) is not the same as terminal. You could have OWIF crash or even uninstall it. You can still connect to the receiver but not through OpenWebIf. A perfect example is if you are in a boot loop. Depending on OWIF is not a good idea and opens up a risk. There is quite a number of open receivers on the web. They can be controlled and run and install anything on the network that a receiver is connected to. OpenWebIf also has a bouquet editor, nobody advocates depending/using it, it is a tool avilable to use.

A good toolkit of programs to work with receivers includes
Putty or any terminal/ssh application
Notepad++ or any Linux compatible editor
FTP program like Filezilla client
Channel editor of choice

With the above you can do almost anything on your receiver. It only takes a few attempts to learn them.

Like all changes, it takes time to get used to them. Not all changes are perfect.

To accuse people who spend their time making images for free of being trying to be difficult for end users is wrong and unfair.

We should continue to be part of the solution.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comprehensive reply Abu. I probably phrased my comment without thinking :anguished:
I wasn't meaning to criticise the OpenATV team and I do appreciate anyone who puts their hard work and time in for the benefit of the E2 community.
I wasn't aware of the softcam issue in Europe, that also explains why ItalySAT and others don't include the feeds.
I'm very happy that the OE Alliance teams are starting to make things a bit more uniform across the different images.
Ultimately it will make life easier for everyone. Hopefully skins etc will then work on all images. (y)

Well said Abu it's worth pointing out Black Hole images don't have cams in feed either, Dreambox Control Centre has telnet & FTP, if people don't like filezilla.

They made things difficult before imho, users had to install their own softcam feeds, delete multiple foreign bouquets and plugins etc.
Terminal is easy enough to add from the plugin feeds.
Terminal wasn't installed on my openvix but its in the plugins.. but installed now :smiley:

Back