Our NHS discussions. Covid19 related or not

No health care system is ever going to be perfect that includes NHS.

It is in need of overhaul for sure but to say its killing more people than keeping alive and patients are not a priority is absurd.

as NHS forms a monomply in the UK, it has to be with other country's health service solution.
the NHS doesnt have a monoply, why do you say that, yet more mis-information
there are lots of private health care providers, where you PAY at the point of use, much like health care in most of the rest of the world

Yep exactly.

Those who want private health care for what ever reason be it thinking NHS is not good for them then they would need to pay for such health care.

You have options in the UK either the standard free health care that is the NHS or private health care which you pay for. It's down to the individual what option they choose.

No health care system is ever going to be perfect that includes NHS.

It is in need of overhaul for sure but to say its killing more people than keeping alive and patients are not a priority is absurd.
It could be you are replying to someone I have on ingore, but I've not said that, or even hinted at it?
Yep exactly.

Those who want private health care for what ever reason be it thinking NHS is not good for them then they would need to pay for such health care.

You have options in the UK either the standard free health care that is the NHS or private health care which you pay for. It's down to the individual what option they choose.
For people who cannot afford both private and national insurance, ie the vast majority of us, the NHS is the only option.

We are forced to pay into the NHS.

This is a strange notion to me, to say only the wealthy should have access to European standard health care. Only the rich should have choice and consumer power in health care.

There is a better way of doing health care, and if we could have a conversation that wasn't emotive and one that resembles people defending their religion then we could all benefit.

The NHS fails us.

We can and should have a better health care system

the NHS doesnt have a monoply, why do you say that, yet more mis-information
there are lots of private health care providers, where you PAY at the point of use, much like health care in most of the rest of the world

ahhh I see, if I were talking about the number of patients the NHS has compared to other private health care providers up and down the country, the NHS is in the minority then. Very sorry, my apologies for misleading information. I stand corrected.

My mates dad just paid £15000 to have a replacement knee (he's plenty of money) didn't want to wait for NHS.
So if you've that sort of money feel free, but the way I see it we get way more out of the NHS than we put in which has to be a good thing which ever way you look at it.

Again, the options are not : have an NHS model or pay 15k

Other countries manage high class health care without having people pay 15k out of pocket for a knee.

In your friends example he would have preferred to not have to pay 15k, but as our health service is so poor he felt he had to. That should be an argument for a better health service.

You have literally just told us that the NHS is so poor he had to pay out of pocket and used that as evidence in favour of the NHS

A religion

Last edited:
99% of sugens who do private work still work in hospitals.
An old dear who we talk too was due to have an op but was cancelled due to covid (fair enough) but in the next breath she was informed if she went private she could have it done by the same sugen team how does that work out.
If the NHS is so poor why are people going private when the surgeons ect all work in hospitals dosnt make sense to me lol

It's not the staff that are below par ( though many are due to the protections afforded to public sector workers) but the system they operate in.

Price is hidden at all stages so we have over subscribed, poor quality services.

There is no incentive for improvement, users have no market power.

Simply issuing vouchers that could be spent in competing private institutions would make a huge improvement in provision and service.

The market in things like laser eye surgery shows how consumer power can drive down cost and ramp up quality in health products.

We should not stand for a mediocre health service

If the NHS is so poor why are people going private when the surgeons ect all work in hospitals dosnt make sense to me
I think the point that's often missed is that it is not necessarily the medical professionals that are the problem, but the system itself.
There is generally far too much "organisational " workers, and too few medical staff in any national service.
I think that you can separate and criticise either element if you wish.

The NHS is an ideal is a fantastic idea, the problem is you have too many civil servants running it.

As an outsider looking in, I can see the many brilliant things the NHS stands for - free at point of contact medical care, both in the community and in hospitals, the next to free prescriptions (compare to our system, you may take back some if your complaints), etc.
If I wish to go to a GP, I have to pay (unless I have a medical card which is means tested) as all our GPs are self employed business men and women. If I wish to visit a hospital, i must be referred by a GP, or attend an emergency department, which sets me back €115.

Another big problem is the North-South divide. It is easily provable that if you are in the southern region, you will be a lot happier with the service as most of the best facilities are based around the major population point (London and environs), whereas further north suffers from a lack of well funded high population regions.(information from a brother in law who has a huge practice in the London region)

Your NHS does not come "free" per se, it is funded directly from your exchequer, so gives the end user a "free" experience.

The alternatives are, as i see it,
1. you admit there are problems with the NHS, and you fix it.
2. You go with a private healthcare system similar to the US which leaves those in poorly paid jobs at a specific disadvantage.(private insurance)
3. You look at the nordic countries model, which is often held up as utopia - but that requires a huge investment from taxes, and their income tax rates are extremely high.

If you want an inclusive, cradle to the grave system, it would seem that the first is your option.

It's not the staff that are below par ( though many are due to the protections afforded to public sector workers) but the system they operate in.

Price is hidden at all stages so we have over subscribed, poor quality services.

There is no incentive for improvement, users have no market power.

Simply issuing vouchers that could be spent in competing private institutions would make a huge improvement in provision and service.

The market in things like laser eye surgery shows how consumer power can drive down cost and ramp up quality in health products.

We should not stand for a mediocre health service
I could have said all I did in your much shorter reply lol

"Simply issuing vouchers that could be spent in competing private institutions would make a huge improvement in provision and service."

Maybe you haven't used the NHS much, but we already have a system called 'Choose and Book' (it does not apply in all situations) where the patient is contacted and offered a choice as to where they want to have their operation ; A private clinic or their local hospital.

some info -- Choose and Book - A guide for GPs. | Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

=========
Something else to bear in mind - large sections of the NHS are run by Private organisations : The kidney dialysis unit at my local hospital is run by Virgin Health Care !

Last edited:
"Simply issuing vouchers that could be spent in competing private institutions would make a huge improvement in provision and service."

Maybe you haven't used the NHS much, but we already have a system called 'Choose and Book' (it does not apply in all situations) where the patient is contacted and offered a choice as to where they want to have their operation ; A private clinic or their local hospital.

some info -- Choose and Book - A guide for GPs. | Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

=========
Something else to bear in mind - large sections of the NHS are run by Private organisations : The kidney dialysis unit at my local hospital is run by Virgin Health Care !
My local NHS lol

When did I say the NHS is so poor that he had to pay out of his pocket?
I said he was in pain and because he could afford it he paid for it.
Don't put words in my mouth :rage:
I think what I took from it is that if the NHS was working as well as it should, going private wouldn't have gotten any benefits with regards scheduling or care. Ergo, the NHS is a poor imitation of what it should be?

Ideally, that is what everyone would want, surely?

Not sure what is meant by NHS not working properly or not delivery the health care that we all should expect.

I say this because my uncle had triple bypass surgery last year and it all went perfectly well and he was well cared for during the recovery period, he had not a single complaint but showered the staff with praise for how he was treated there.

Again may be different experiences for some but I dont believe the NHS is as poor state as is being stated.

the issue that I see is this
people want private health care quality for free
thats a bit like saying I want Ferrari performance from a Ford Ka
the private sector pays hire charges for NHS operating theatres and wards, that helps fund the NHS,
so, before a private operation even comes close to making money, the expenses need to be accounted for,
now, I have no idea how much it costs to hire an operating theatre and staff it for an hour are, but I'll bet there isnt any change from £5K
and how much a surgeon costs, well, thats gonna be more than minimum wage,,,,,
yes, I think we can all agree that the NHS is top heavy, and it needs a major overhaul
but, its a start, just needs someone with the balls to shake the tree

Just make sure it's not a coconut tree.
My uncle shook one of those and got knocked out.
The tree owner saw him and leathered him with a baseball bat.

someone who became a millionaire by grimming the public purse and who represents a movement led by people who feather their own nests without producing anything of value is strangely apt for this thread.

Back