Poor picture quality

buliziom

Hi
I set up Octagon sf8008 4k for friend of mine, and when I connected it to his tv picture quality looks poor, I’d say it’s SD, I’ve tried to change settings but no difference. Also when I change channels sometimes it takes too long for picture to appear.
Can somebody help please?

Hi
I set up Octagon sf8008 4k for friend of mine, and when I connected it to his tv picture quality looks poor, I’d say it’s SD, I’ve tried to change settings but no difference. Also when I change channels sometimes it takes too long for picture to appear.
Can somebody help please?
Using satellite or IPTV?
Need more information, what plugins or apps are in use?

Im thinking the tv is at fault, try running at 25fps at that resolution. Im assuming the TV is a 4k set to display any pic at that res.
I’m not sure whether is 4k tv, definitely full HD some new Samsung, when I tried to change resolution in tv box nothing really changed, it’s same poor quality. I might take it back and check it on my tv again.

I have loads of HDMI cables here that came with boxes and had a grainy picture display where i knew there were no sharp pictures and when upgrading found it much better.

It's a bit like using the correct twisted pairs in ethernet cables, it will still work but with "noise" .
Not all HDMI cables are properly screened or paired, undersize conductors etc
The same reasons we tell folks to use good quality coax.
Its a bit like Petrol as not the same as car was not as smooth with using standard Un Leaded and rough Idling.

Circle K have a higher grade MORE MILES PLUS and it makes a difference , more power , more miles [ not the way i drive ] and much smoother tick over.

When you have spent more than you wanted on electronics , people buy cheap and wondered why picture quality was bad.

@ferret remember those old scart cables with crap quality and upgrading them to a better standard you saw on screen the difference..

HDMI transfers digital signals is just 1s and 0s it is either there or is not regardless of gold plating or shielding. Transfer rates over HDMI is another story though and cables capable of transferring the 1s and 0s faster are needed for consoles and gaming but not TV viewing devices.

Scart cables on the other hand transfers analogue signals the better the quality the better the pic quality.

Last edited:
HDMI transfers digital signals is just 1s and 0s it is either there or is not regardless of gold plating or shielding. Transfer rates over HDMI is another story though and cables capable of transferring the 1s and 0s faster are needed for consoles and gaming but not TV viewing devices.

Scart cables on the other hand transfers analogue signals the better the quality the better the pic quality.
Ethernet transfers 1s and 0s too, if noise gets on the line the 1s and 0s can get changed,
Same as crap coax with its 1s and 0s
Digital can get corrupted, hence a bad picture
Or is there some other reason some folks recommend good coax and leads,?
I know why I do.

Ethernet transfers 1s and 0s too, if noise gets on the line the 1s and 0s can get changed,
Same as crap coax with its 1s and 0s
Digital can get corrupted, hence a bad picture
Or is there some other reason some folks recommend good coax and leads,?
I know why I do.
I recommend quality coax over long runs to limit db loss. Different scenario. The same can be said for a long HDMI cable, most of us wont go above 2 meters

Google HDMI lead quality. Most will say the same as myself. Manufactures will obviously say their cables will produce better pictures and sound. They would lose financially if they didnt.

https://sewelldirect.com/blogs/learning-center/differences-between-low-and-high-end-hdmi-cables#:~:text=With%20the%20myths%20now%20debunked,–%20there%27s%20no%20in-between.

So i am using a 30 foot Monster HDMI cable and perfect picture on my Blu Ray player .

I judge on the picture quality i see

So i am using a 30 foot Monster HDMI cable and perfect picture on my Blu Ray player .

I judge on the picture quality i see
I get that over 30ft your limiting signal loss over the length of the cable. Most of us use 6 ft cables no need to worry about loss.

The above link is from an actual HDMI cable manufacturer, he tells it as it its.

Back