psp backups

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
okay guys, go easy on me. I am familiar with the nintendo DS lite and the Wii backup systems. Is it a similar situation for the PSP in that i can down load backups and then play them on the PSP somehow if my own copy got damaged. if this is the case, do i have to load some software onto the PSP first. also, is a backup put onto a memory card, or how is it done.

Basically, I want a PSP backups for dummies, as I dont own one of these but my nephew does, and he is a little jealous of the DSTT card i was able to get his brother, and all the new games that go with that.

Thanks guys, hope you can help(y)

The PSP can be modded to accept Custom Firmware (CFW). Once CFW is in place and operating, backups can be played on the PSP via the memory stick. The process is rather simple once CFW has been installed. Simply put the .iso/.cso on the memory stick in the appropriate folder, load and play. Another advantage of doing it this way is that load times are faster and battery life improves.

I have been toying with the idea of trying to put together a beginners guide to modding the PSP just have not yet had the time to do so.

thanks, 7th, is it a relatively easy instal, for a poor gob sh1te like me, whi has barely seen one of these machines?

I could help you there 7thstinger when the time is with me lol, have downgraded quite a few psp's myself, its easy once you get the hang of it. (y)

thanks, 7th, is it a relatively easy instal, for a poor gob sh1te like me, whi has barely seen one of these machines?

At a first glance it may seem a bit confusing. It really isn't, just a few steps that must be followed in order. As Dan stated, once you go through it, it really isn't that complicated, i assure you.

I could help you there 7thstinger when the time is with me lol, have downgraded quite a few psp's myself, its easy once you get the hang of it. (y)

That's much appreciated Dan. And you're right, it's really not that complicated once you've done it once or twice. As i get time, i'll let you know and we'll see if we can't put something together for TK.

guys, i have found a guide here, is it really as simple as it sounds, depending on what a) model number you have and b) what firmware you have, just follow the 123 steps and bobs your uncle?

After a cursory glance, that guide seems to be pretty straightforward. However, i would recommend against making your own jigkick/pandora battery. Just purchase one, a simple google search should provide them for purchase and they are relatively cheap.

I am still reading through it, but at this point it seems pretty accurate. Will post back if i find anything more.

and the modded battery (pandora battery) required in order to boot your PSP from the Memory Stick, also known as Magic Memory Stick. I have bought my modded battery here, its pre-made so no need to worry about opening it up, decided to purchase one after my first hardmodded battery failed on me.

Code:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12472

Only $6.32 including delivery! In Stock: ships in 1 to 3 days Worldwide Free Shipping on Everything

hadn't read it completely, about needing to mess around with the battery, but of they can be bought so cheaply, why bother to do it, considering i know nothing about this machine.

now, imagining that i have got as far as downgrading the PSP, is it just as simple as downloading .iso's, putting them on a memory stick pro, inserting into the PSP and off i go?
i have found a good website for backup copies of the nephews games, and cloudy with a chance of meatballs is 1.3G, if i have a 6G card can i put 4 games on it, or is their a maximum size of card that is compatible. this would be a cool present for him, as i already spoil his brother with DS games.

hadn't read it completely, about needing to mess around with the battery, but of they can be bought so cheaply, why bother to do it, considering i know nothing about this machine.

now, imagining that i have got as far as downgrading the PSP, is it just as simple as downloading .iso's, putting them on a memory stick pro, inserting into the PSP and off i go?
i have found a good website for backup copies of the nephews games, and cloudy with a chance of meatballs is 1.3G, if i have a 6G card can i put 4 games on it, or is their a maximum size of card that is compatible. this would be a cool present for him, as i already spoil his brother with DS games.

Once you are done downgrading, you'll need to upgrade to a CFW. Downgrading simply puts your PSP down to 1.50 kernel which allows for upgrading with a custom firmware. I'm running 5.00M33 (i think, i haven't checked lately lol ) Some newer games will require the most recent CFW updates to run or to run properly though.

From there you can rip your existing ones to create an .iso/.cso or download (though i cannot publicly condone that ;))

Games will vary in size. I've got some that are a mere 270m. Others are over 1 gig.

But yes, the process is a simple as loading said games into the .iso folder on your memory stick. Select memory from the XMB (cross media bar) and it will bring up that games you have on it. Then just play.

this info is for my 9 year old nephew who isnt careful at all, so if this means he will have an alternative to the scratched, chipped or broken games that his parents buy for him(they dont buy them broken:grin:) then excellent.
i was wording things so that we could all say lots without saying anything:grin:, of course he would only download backups for the games that he already has(y)
he has no idea how to turn on a computer, so i guess it would be down to this mug to do stuff for him.

i wouldn't be confident about doing this sort of thing normally, but with all the help i got from others on this site while doing the Wii, i think i will plough ahead and do this.
thanks 7th and Dan

I remember the tension first time around, it was going through the downgrade process, all the text rushing down the screen, just sat their thinking is this going to be successful, and then i was enlightened by "Operation Successful Press X to restart the PSP" lol

i will let you know when i am going to do it. and if it fails, i can get a cheap flight to west midlands airport and find my way to handsworth where you can meet me, as you know where that is(y)

i will let you know when i am going to do it. and if it fails, i can get a cheap flight to west midlands airport and find my way to handsworth where you can meet me, as you know where that is(y)

;), if it fails, its the best part about it, you can just start all over again, and completely ignore what happened :p.

dont worry dan, you will hear me scream if it looks like i am going to balls up the kids PSP.

quick question, do i only need the pandora battery once, when i am loading the custom software? or do i have to replace the psp battery with it?
thanks for helping an old simple man

The pandora battery only serves during the downgrading portion of the modding process. It's job is to put the PSP into service mode to allow the downgrade. So no, it's not meant to be a replacement battery.

Last edited:
thanks 7th, i have ordered a pandora battery and a 8G pro duo memory stick for the youngster today, as soon as these arrive, i will be screaming for help.

i love being able to do these things for others, it gives one a sense of worth and pride.

thanks 7th, i have ordered a pandora battery and a 8G pro duo memory stick for the youngster today, as soon as these arrive, i will be screaming for help.

i love being able to do these things for others, it gives one a sense of worth and pride.

I know that feeling wheelo lol. I have the program here that i use to create the magic memory stick, will guide you through it when your memory stick and battery arrives. ;)

sounds harder and harder Dan, but i will persevere. can store bought games be used on the PSP without any hassle Dan, when you have downgraded and then put on custom software?

Back