Recommendations for Android Box

Stick all your apps into dropbox - copy the url from dropbox paste it into AFVNEWS url shortener and it will give you a pin code - Type that into downloader it will install the app tales all of 1 minute.

No that does not work for all apps and is a general way to install apks no different to app2fire tv etc ..

As I said certain apps will not work. If I rip an app from one fire tv to another it does not always work. Amazon are applying some content management verification. You can use ADB , you can use downloader , you can transfer app all you want - it will not work. When you rip the app from the fire tv they are adding something to it , on any other device you attempt to install it they will detect it and tell you the app is not owned.

Also downloader will not work if the app is dependant on Google services, you then need to install Google services which may very likley brick you're device. This is not an issue on Chromecast Tv ,it is with fire tv.

Most app generally work.

If anyone doesn't believe me , I'll give them a challenge - try to install the Fubo Tv TV app on your fire Tv , without changing region on your Amazon account.

Amazon devices to me have less compatibility than standard Android TV. Native Android tv is much easier you can get pretty much any APK and sideload it to the Chromecast TV with no hassle. They have Google services already, so anything you get on APK pure , mirror etc will nearly work.

I installed FuboTv on my friends Chromecast in about 1 minute. For Fire TV took me about an hour messing around with region settings and as I had to open up the app store to get it, I got hit with Amazon updates which killed my custom launcher. I tried to avoid this on device 2 , however cannot be sideloaded.

No that does not work for all apps and is a general way to install apks no different to app2fire tv etc ..

As I said certain apps will not work. If I rip an app from one fire tv to another it does not always work. Amazon are applying some content management verification. You can use ADB , you can use downloader , you can transfer app all you want - it will not work. When you rip the app from the fire tv they are adding something to it , on any other device you attempt to install it they will detect it and tell you the app is not owned.

Also downloader will not work if the app is dependant on Google services, you then need to install Google services which may very likley brick you're device. This is not an issue on Chromecast Tv ,it is with fire tv.

Most app generally work.

If anyone doesn't believe me , I'll give them a challenge - try to install the Fubo Tv TV app on your fire Tv , without changing region on your Amazon account.

Amazon devices to me have less compatibility than standard Android TV. Native Android tv is much easier you can get pretty much any APK and sideload it to the Chromecast TV with no hassle. They have Google services already, so anything you get on APK pure , mirror etc will nearly work.

I installed FuboTv on my friends Chromecast in about 1 minute. For Fire TV took me about an hour messing around with region settings and as I had to open up the app store to get it, I got hit with Amazon updates which killed my custom launcher. I tried to avoid this on device 2 , however cannot be sideloaded.
Fubo is the only app I personally have trouble installing on Fire cube, they have 3 versions of app Android tv, mobile app and Fire tv app regionalised, my answer was just side load it or Filesync to Shield..
They may be more apps but none that I require that are tricky, also the blank icon is a problem with Fire tv, I downloaded the pics separately for Peacocock and sling which is a balls ache but at this moment cheaper than changing the Cube!

As I said certain apps will not work. If I rip an app from one fire tv to another it does not always work.
Because it is missing files that is why it wont work not there is a issue with a fire device.

Rather than try and rip the app form one device just reinstall from a apk.

Because it is missing files that is why it wont work not there is a issue with a fire device.

Rather than try and rip the app form one device just reinstall from a apk.

I think your missing the point:
How can you install it from an APK ?

You can't install the Google tv version on fire tv it is missing play services.
Try to get the amazon app for a fire tv- won't work. You simply cannot sideload it , unless wanting to go down routes of actually getting play services working on fire tv.

Only way is to change regional settings .
Its a one minute side load job on shield , Chromecast tv. Not so on fire tv.

Could not sideload app-
I extracted an APK from my other fire tv- would not run on my other box - gives error "owner is not licensed" . Okay I assume as amazon does not like the movement of fire tv apks from one location to another.

Then tried the Google android tv APK version from APK mirror sideload option - did not work - requires Google play services- okay sideloaded those - that bricked my device then won't start now.

The only way that worked was to change my country in amazon website over to another region to download app. That itself was an utter pain in arse as when I done it - it wiped out kids tablet and reset it's region.

So my conclusion sideloading is much easier on Google TV as you have Google play services at u're disposal. Also they don't have this bloody license control , amazon seem to be inserting some sort of DRM when I Extract an app from one device and move it to another.
I use X-plore , open it on both devices and I can move apps without issue.

Fubo is the only app I personally have trouble installing on Fire cube, they have 3 versions of app Android tv, mobile app and Fire tv app regionalised, my answer was just side load it or Filesync to Shield..
They may be more apps but none that I require that are tricky, also the blank icon is a problem with Fire tv, I downloaded the pics separately for Peacocock and sling which is a balls ache but at this moment cheaper than changing the Cube!

I assume you prefer the shield over the cube?
How did you link the pics to the app , just drop them in a folder ? The blank icons are annoying.

And do you have a custom launcher, I'm guessing not , that's how I overcame blank app tiles. Use lean back launcher and have apps as my homepage .

How did you link the pics to the app , just drop them in a folder ? The blank icons are annoying.

And do you have a custom launcher, I'm guessing not , that's how I overcame blank app tiles. Use lean back launcher and have apps as my homepage .
I do prefer shield over Cube, but use cube for most of footie apps, there is a vid on YouTube Doc someone with a link to missing icons, he has a catalogue of some of the problem ones you can download and sideload to Firetv where you hide the main app and launch the link icon.
I don't have a custom Launcher but will try lean back bud.
It's funny really as my firestick in bedroom is dot com as opposed to co. uk. and they show up properly

I think your missing the point:
How can you install it from an APK ?

You can't install the Google tv version on fire tv it is missing play services.
Try to get the amazon app for a fire tv- won't work. You simply cannot sideload it , unless wanting to go down routes of actually getting play services working on fire tv.

Only way is to change regional settings .
Its a one minute side load job on shield , Chromecast tv. Not so on fire tv.
I see your point now.

So what Android box are you wanting to install Google TV on.

Usually find the S905x4 boxes have roms out that will do this at around £45.

I run an Eachlink x3 Mini S905x4 4gb/64gb with a TV rom on it, blows anything Amazon makes out of the water cost me £38 quid. Sadly no longer available or i would have another.

I tried the lean back launcher, although it installed with manager fine I couldn't get to disable stock launcher! So will only work as an app alongside stock.
I don't know if Amazon have put some sort of block on launches?

I tried the lean back launcher, although it installed with manager fine I couldn't get to disable stock launcher! So will only work as an app alongside stock.
I don't know if Amazon have put some sort of block on launches?
They did , there is a work around however, I'm not sure if it is still working.

Use total commander to just uninstall the stock launcher , issue is it will take a little longer to boot up from a full power down.

This still works for me - but I've not updated firmware last few months. Every firmware update amazon are locking down the OS.

Last edited:
Amazon protected the Amazon Launcher so that it could not be disabled to use a custom launcher. The change occured in ~February 2022, with FireOS 7.2.7.3 (forget the FireOS6 version number, but same protection occured).

There was a work around described here:

install wolf or other custom launcher
install total commander on amazon app store
open, go to installed app, copy somewhere default launcher if you want(backup), after that delete default launcher.
And now you can use custom launcher again.

this is a finicky fix, it doesn't work all the time, and Amazon is likely to patch it if it hasn't happened already in 7285/2880?
Amazon also protected updates around the same time so that blocking them the easy way is not possible and they need to get stopped at dns level

2022-08-0921.04.208850684693944174934.jpg
That's how mine looks at moment. Not much to ask for , simple home page. But amazon really go out of their way to stop it

View attachment 79102
That's how mine looks at moment. Not much to ask for , simple home page. But amazon really go out of their way to stop it
Might just stick to adding shortcuts bud!
Try the Launcher on Shield, I only have footie apps on Cube and iptv etc on shield, my supplier gets arsy when I forget to switch vpn on!
Your page looks good, might swap the Cube for Amico A9!

Back