Broadband Retentions leaving Virgin question - Price increase

loncell

TK Veteran
My 12 contracts up in March so I rang them. At the moment I pay £38 for:

100mb brand
TiVo low package mainly for free view wife's records crap
Telephone free weekend calls

I rang them and was told it would be going up to £57 which ain't gonna happen on my fffing watch.

I said cancel it, so I'm put through to retentions who offer me for £43 a 200mb (my lot hammering it) same phone same TiVo basic package.
I was just about to agree when she said, thats now for 18 months or 24. I said is that the same for new customers ?, she said I don't know which is crap. I said I'd think about it as 18 is a long time so she's made a note of the offer on my account

I want to stay with Virgin but im not paying the earth.
What do you think? Go with it or call bluff for a better deal?

if its for only 18 month rather than 24 seems not to bad for another 100mb for an extra £5.
I have just got it in new customer £29.99 200mb fibre only 18 month free installation.

I've got 200mb with phone and weekend call plus middle tv but with the documentary add on pack for £38.00, 12-month deal. I've had it since July.

I have read previous posts elswhere on this site where people have called their bluff, cancelled and waited for the phone call back (which they received) and some got a better deal. However, it is a chance you take hoping that they will call you back or just go ahead and cut you off. I don't think that retentions are as good as they used to be, I initially got a better deal from the first person I spoke to and retentions couldn't match it (what a load of crap, they could have, just didn't want to).

£22.50 for 100mb and landline
It crept up to £26 last year and I cancelled and they dropped the price.
It was only 50mb but got free upgrade a few months ago.
I get 98mb through zgemma but with a VPN it goes down to 40mb

£22.50 for 100mb and landline
It crept up to £26 last year and I cancelled and they dropped the price.
It was only 50mb but got free upgrade a few months ago.
I get 98mb through zgemma but with a VPN it goes down to 40mb
Im on 200mb on zgemma h9 combo using ethernet I only get 58.81 Mbits and 61.31 Mbits with surfshark vpn on at the moment using 600Mbps tp-link home plugs and tp-link 10/100 switch.

Im on 200mb on zgemma h9 combo using ethernet I only get 58.81 Mbits and 61.31 Mbits with surfshark vpn on at the moment using 600Mbps tp-link home plugs and tp-link 10/100 switch.
It depends which country you connect to.
I used Denmark and Belgium until speeds went down to 12mb.
I switched to Germany and it went up to 40mb.
Strangely UK gives me lower speeds than Denmark.
I don't leave it connected to the same location, I might have to try 2 or 3 to get a fast connection.
If I turn it off I get full speed

Just checked and 18 months is the lowest length of time for a contract with Virgin. My package for a new customer as it stands is £27:99 for 200mbps its £33:99. Na they can cut me near cut me I say I'll get the wife open an account for 18 months. £162 more if I stay over 18 months than opening a new account at £33:99 a month.
What kills me is, if I didn't call or knew nothing of retention's I'd be paying £57 a month for a 100meg line. were as a new customer I'd could get 500meg for £45:99 or 1000meg for £64

https://www.virginmedia.com/join/speed-selection

It depends which country you connect to.
I used Denmark and Belgium until speeds went down to 12mb.
I switched to Germany and it went up to 40mb.
Strangely UK gives me lower speeds than Denmark.
I don't leave it connected to the same location, I might have to try 2 or 3 to get a fast connection.
If I turn it off I get full speed
I'm using a uk london connection how are you connected to router ? I have my zgemma upstairs hence the need for home plugs was wondering if I invested in 1GB homeplugs and 1gb switch if that would make a difference have not tried modem mode yet on hub 3.

I am on VM 350mb and using Analiti on my Amazon Cube connected via ethernet and I get the following speeds;

Without Nord Connected I get 94 down and 35 up
With Nord Connected I get 90 down and 33 up

Just checked and 18 months is the lowest length of time for a contract with Virgin. My package for a new customer as it stands is £27:99 for 200mbps its £33:99. Na they can cut me near cut me I say I'll get the wife open an account for 18 months. £162 more if I stay over 18 months than opening a new account at £33:99 a month.
What kills me is, if I didn't call or knew nothing of retention's I'd be paying £57 a month for a 100meg line. were as a new customer I'd could get 500meg for £45:99 or 1000meg for £64

https://www.virginmedia.com/join/speed-selection
It's went up to £50 we went through uswitch the guy from virgin told us to go there, but virgin were doing deals at the time Order Date Friday 29th January 2021

I am on VM 350mb and using Analiti on my Amazon Cube connected via ethernet and I get the following speeds;

So Amazon Cube will have 10/100 ethernet same as zgemma most we could get would be 100mb max.

I'm using a uk london connection how are you connected to router ? I have my zgemma upstairs hence the need for home plugs was wondering if I invested in 1GB homeplugs and 1gb switch if that would make a difference have not tried modem mode yet on hub 3.
Sorry not zgemma I meant buzz android box. Connected by WiFi.
I can install speed test plugin for the H7 and try it but it's not WiFi on that its via ethernet

I have read previous posts elswhere on this site where people have called their bluff, cancelled and waited for the phone call back (which they received) and some got a better deal. However, it is a chance you take hoping that they will call you back or just go ahead and cut you off. I don't think that retentions are as good as they used to be, I initially got a better deal from the first person I spoke to and retentions couldn't match it (what a load of crap, they could have, just didn't want to).

It's all money game to these companies. Which is to be expected.

They rather not give good deals if they can help it. Maximum profits after all.

Virgin and other companies to me in my experience haven't offered great deals for their services /products. But stuck with some of these cants and getting ripped off in the process.

Speaking of cutting off my cousin was with VM a while and was playing the game of cancelling and they called him once he refused the offer then 30th day later he got cut off lol. So it can be a risk as not guaranteed to get great deal.

Any reason why cube caps speed at 100mb on wired connection as seen few mention they never get speeds over 100mb?

Good thing about virgin they were one of the few left offering 12 months as most are 18 and 24 months which is too long and since last year think VM went that route.

just looked up the specs

Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac; 2x2 MIMO
(2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz dual band)

Ethernet 10/100 Mbps

That's poor from amazon tbh and cheap.

Seeing how expensive the cube is. Should have had a gigabit ethernet card in it. Restricting people to 100mb speeds is BS.

Very sneaky from amazon for sure.

Sorry not zgemma I meant buzz android box. Connected by WiFi.
I can install speed test plugin for the H7 and try it but it's not WiFi on that its via ethernet
If you do not mind installing speed test to have a look I did try wifi also 40Mbps and 42Mbps with vpn

If you do not mind installing speed test to have a look I did try wifi also 40Mbps and 42Mbps with vpn
Not tried it with VPN on but this is it without VPN using e2speedtest:
stest.jpg

With VPN running i get 87mb using ethernet.
Cant get more than 40 using wifi on Buzz box

testvpn.jpg

Last edited:
That's poor from amazon tbh and cheap.

Seeing how expensive the cube is. Should have had a gigabit ethernet card in it. Restricting people to 100mb speeds is BS.

Very sneaky from amazon for sure.
I should not have started speed discussion were going off topic we could have another thread. AnywayI also read elswhere even if 1gb ethernet some STB's cpu holds them back.

@pabloescaban , Thanks how are you connected straight ethernet from router to H7 or home plugs ?

Back