Senior Tory accuses ministers of ‘blackmail’ against rebel MPs plotting to topple Boris Johnson

Will Boris survive?

• Yes

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ah, democracy, the process whereby someone in Blackburn elects an MP that lives in a stately home in Hampshire to represent them in parliament, who is then ordered what to say and how to vote by someone who lives in Cornwall

Ah, democracy, the process whereby someone in Blackburn elects an MP that lives in a stately home in Hampshire to represent them in parliament, who is then ordered what to say and how to vote by someone who lives in Cornwall
If by elects, you mean the general public of voting age within the constituency of Blackburn, then yes, that’s democracy.

If the people of Blackburn are not happy that their elected representative keeps following the orders of someone sitting in Cornwall, then they can elect another person at the next available opportunity. Democracy at work.

If by elects, you mean the general public of voting age within the constituency of Blackburn, then yes, that’s democracy.

If the people of Blackburn are not happy that their elected representative keeps following the orders of someone sitting in Cornwall, then they can elect another person at the next available opportunity. Democracy at work.
Yeah they can, they can vote for someone who lives in a different part of the country instead.
Labour/Conservative and the rest put up candidates in those places.
I couldn't just put myself up for election under one of the major parties.
So the candidates you vote for are already pre chosen before you cast a vote. Undemocracy at work

Yeah they can, they can vote for someone who lives in a different part of the country instead.
Labour/Conservative and the rest put up candidates in those places.
I couldn't just put myself up for election under one of the major parties.
So the candidates you vote for are already pre chosen before you cast a vote. Undemocracy at work
You can stand as an independent and your fellow residents of Blackburn can decide if they want you or someone from Hampshire.

That’s the point of democracy…
Democracy would be the process that was followed to vote in a government party that was led by boris, not a government party led by someone chosen from inside the party after an election. If they want him out they should call an election, then their party can go through the process of selecting a party leader to punt their party to the electorate….that’s democracy, a leader chosen by the government not the voter isn’t democracy

Democracy would be the process that was followed to vote in a government party that was led by boris, not a government party led by someone chosen from inside the party after an election. If they want him out they should call an election, then their party can go through the process of selecting a party leader to punt their party to the electorate….that’s democracy, a leader chosen by the government not the voter isn’t democracy
That’s not how the U.K. parliamentary system works, you only vote for an MP.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/elections-and-voting/general/

It's a shame we are stuck with in essence a two party system like the US. There is no difference with either party in reality when you really look into it.

Having another major party offering something different to the other two could shake things up for the better but will never be allowed to happen.

You can stand as an independent and your fellow residents of Blackburn can decide if they want you or someone from Hampshire.
They don't vote for individuals, they vote for parties, which in itself is undemocratic. Political parties should be banned. Every mp should be independent. All votes would be secret.
That is democracy.
Each person there represents the people who voted for him, not an affiliation, every vote he makes is in the interests of his constituents, not some tosspipe who lives 400 miles away, and best of all The voting public would have a real choice instead of mindlessly voting for a political party because that's who their grandparents voted for

They don't vote for individuals, they vote for parties, which in itself is undemocratic. Political parties should be banned. Every mp should be independent. All votes would be secret.
That is democracy.
Each person there represents the people who voted for him, not an affiliation, every vote he makes is in the interests of his constituents, not some tosspipe who lives 400 miles away, and best of all The voting public would have a real choice instead of mindlessly voting for a political party because that's who their grandparents voted for
That’s half the problem, voters bearing grudges for 20-30 years even though the entire landscape changes in a lot less time than that

That’s half the problem, voters bearing grudges for 20-30 years even though the entire landscape changes in a lot less time than that
The main problem is safe seats.
Regardless of the political party, safe seats are ignored.
I live in a Labour safe seat, been Labour for over a century, they could put Ian Huntley up as a labour candidate and he'd get voted in, the result is nothing gets done because labour are going to win if they spend 200 million on the town and they'll get voted in if they spend fifty quid.
Those 'red wall' towns that are now conservative will have masses of money spent in order to try to secure future wins, likewise all marginal seats, swinging from labour to conservative, each one will try to sweeten the voters for next time.
Safe seats get nothing, they stagnate and are left to decay because they don't matter, the electorate will never waver and so nothing will ever change

The main problem is safe seats.
Regardless of the political party, safe seats are ignored.
I live in a Labour safe seat, been Labour for over a century, they could put Ian Huntley up as a labour candidate and he'd get voted in, the result is nothing gets done because labour are going to win if they spend 200 million on the town and they'll get voted in if they spend fifty quid.
Those 'red wall' towns that are now conservative will have masses of money spent in order to try to secure future wins, likewise all marginal seats, swinging from labour to conservative, each one will try to sweeten the voters for next time.
Safe seats get nothing, they stagnate and are left to decay because they don't matter, the electorate will never waver and so nothing will ever change
And labour are supposedly for the people 😂

I lived in a labour safe area and i was a labour voter for about 40 yrs,jeremy corbyn stopped that in an instant,and yes i voted for boris,and if there was an election tomorrow i would vote for him again, and wont vote labour again until i feel it is once again the labour party... a lot of people saying get boris out. I suspect most of those just dont like boris or the tory party, nothing to do with so called parties or accusations from some ex tory who drove a couple of hundred miles to test his eyes... and let see what happens if he does get booted,then there would be 3 party's with very poor leaders..
Thats my political input for a year 😁

I lived in a labour safe area and i was a labour voter for about 40 yrs,jeremy corbyn stopped that in an instant,and yes i voted for boris,and if there was an election tomorrow i would vote for him again, and wont vote labour again until i feel it is once again the labour party... a lot of people saying get boris out. I suspect most of those just dont like boris or the tory party, nothing to do with so called parties or accusations from some ex tory who drove a couple of hundred miles to test his eyes... and let see what happens if he does get booted,then there would be 3 party's with very poor leaders..
Thats my political input for a year 😁
I don’t like him but to be fair he’s done a good job (I’m going to get jumped on with a list his of faults and Co lips now), but we’ve had an arse of a pandemic that no one knows how to tackle despite Labours hindsight so whoever was in office would be up for the bullet now anyway. But at least this government worked to keep people in there homes instead of the amount of repossessions and evictions faced by tens of thousands at the end of the last governments stint.

Back