Setting up a OpenBox V8S HD for the first time

Got it now thanks Reaper, downloads have sprung to life. Ill give it a go in the morning as I now have the box, Ill get myself a Nline and see how it goes, is the best option to post in the "Sept line request" area for a provider.

Hi guys, just bought the v8s but still don't have internet at my new place.
Can I set up without an Internet connection for now? (download the image file and channel list onto a usb at work say?)
If so does that also apply with getting my cline?
Can pick up the box from the postie tomorrow if so, or if not what would I get with just a to signal, basic freeview or a bit more?

While you are waiting for i-net then read thru the forum and familiarise yourself with the box and it's actions etc.
Reaper.

Hi Lads (and Lasses).
I have an Openbox V8S box and tried connecting, in the front connection, a ScanDisk Cruzer Blade 16gb USB and I can't get it to recognise the USB.
The media menu has the top item of the PVR open but the next two items are greyed out, so the unit doesn't recognise the USB but seems to see it connected.
Does anyone know what the issue is? I've formatted the USB to FAT32 and tried everything I know, is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks for listening.

Try a different key and ensure the box is on a fta channel first--the box should indicate port 1 or 2.
I have found that using the front port for XMLTV and the rear for recording or wireless dongle usually works but you need to play.Also try disconnecting the internet and see if the key makes an appearence.
Reaper.

By Key you are refering to the USB?

I never sawanymenu with port ID's.

Is FAT32 and a completely unnamed, clean USB, the correct format for the box?

Thanks for the response.

Hi All

Look for some help had a openbox v5s downstairs for about a year now so decided to put one in my bedroom v8s so when i connected it all up using the virgin wires which were already there from my multi room (would this make a difference?) all i get is no signal the SNR just say 10% so tried lots off different ways with no joy even taking the new box downstairs connected it with the wires and all the free channels stright on no problem?

It seems to be when i put two wires in the sky dish i cant get a signal upstairs does anybody know were i am going wrong or what i am doing wrong? Should i been using sertain wires etc baring in mind my box downstairs is working fine all the way thought this?

Regards

Suppose it matters not as long as it's an RG type coax cable. How have you connected to your broadband, and is it working? Check the weather app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Tooley wrote " connected it all up using the virgin wires which were already there from my multi room (would this make a difference?) all i get is no signal the SNR just say 10% so tried lots off different ways with no joy"

You cannot connect Virgin to a V8s--it's sat not cable. Miracles don't happen LOL
Reaper.

Hi Reaper

So can you advice me what type of cable I need to go and buy so I can get it working?

Regards

firstly, I think Grimm is saying that if youre trying to connect via virgin media, then you cant because the v8s is a sat tv receiver NOT a cable tv receiver.

if however your v8s works downstairs via being connected to a satellite dish lnb, then the issue is possibly due to where the wires from upstairs terminate/connect to. do they connect to anything at all (at the end that doesn't finish upstairs)? they need to connect to a satellite dish lnb, and as you have the box working downstairs, I would connect to that same lnb, though it might need changing if you don't have enough outputs on the lnb itself. or are you connecting one end to the loop out of the v8s and not the input?

as regards type of cable (assuming you mean the wire itself and not cable tv) a decent coax cable is available from toolstation or screwfix - I would go for a shotgun cable in case you upgrade your box at a later date to a twin tuner model - along with f connectors - try just running the cable loosely at first, rather than fitting it properly, that way you will know the setup is working properly before going through the process of drilling holes, lifting floorboards etc to run the coax cable permanently

Hi
I have an Openbox V8 and V5, the V5 will work using the Multi room leads in box rooms, however my V8 will only work in one room and not the other. in the other room the V8 says no signal, however i can use my V5/ freesat box in this room but not my V8

Setting the dish up was the main thing, took pigging hours to get it all sorted in the end. (New to this, can you tell?)

And now, when i run the box from factory settings... I can do a scan & get 1066 channels, install my CCcam.cfg and most channels load fine albeit some in German. I install AJ's channel list and suddenly all channels just go black. No "No Signal" or "Scrambled" but rather just a black screen. my cline host can see me connected, but not requesting the decryption codes. He even told me not to use the channel finder via satellite and just use the channel list, with the same result.

I've tried using one or two firmwares etc but when flashing it all seems to happen really fast, like it's not really applying (and data isn't factory restored as channel lists + cccam settings still there) - I have to factory reset to start fresh. I'm at a loss at the minute as to how to fix it as i don't really understand it.

are you using a motorised dish or fixed. if so set your service searching sat to 28.2 east or 28.2a I think it is on openbox. Then run your aj list. Might be your servers goosed like most folk on here today.
do these step and update us, if its still scrambled, drop me a pm

are you using a motorised dish or fixed. if so set your service searching sat to 28.2 east or 28.2a I think it is on openbox. Then run your aj list. Might be your servers goosed like most folk on here today.
do these step and update us, if its still scrambled, drop me a pm

Using a fixed dish, 70 - 80% STR. Can do a full scan at the 28.2E satellite and the channels work fine, but nothing when attempting the scrambled channels via cline. I've dropped you a PM.

The firmware installed is corrupt and possibly chipset is faulty---a blind scan will give between 780 and 810 channels not 1044. If you check the scanned channels you will find doubles and trebles--Send the box back to the seller and get him to send a box set up with latest channel list and firmware installed or if he can't do that then get your money back.
Reaper.

Hi all,

OK first thing to mention is that I am not a noob and know my way around GUI's and command lines etc.

I'm about to purchase a new OPen box or Zgemma today anbd wanted to setup myself for full satellite channel list.

I'm aware of the difference in cost of an OPenbox and Zgemma, so my question is simply, can someone post me a link to the correct setup procedure please? The reason I am asking is because on one of the threads I have found on here, a further post said that this may be now outdated.

Are they relatively straight-forward to do?

Thank you.

The Thing

Back