Setup a vu+ duo2 from scratch

noddyrams

Good evening all,

Some of you may have seen my questions lately around an old zgemma. Well my mate decided to give up and purchase a vu+ duo2 from eBay.

I am looking for advice please now on the best way to tackle getting him setup.

The box comes with blackhole image installed ... I assume this is just like openatv or openvix?
And if so to remove it do I just flash over it using say grog or willow?

That's leads me onto my next question, what build do people recommend now a days for this box? I've always used grog but see willow is appears to be most recently supported?

The box will be used for Freesat, and recording of Freesat and IPTV. Ideally wanting bouquets for both inputs, I'm use to jedi that does this but wasn't sure if there is any other options and if it matters which build I install for this as well?

The box comes with an internal 1tb HDD installed, is there a way to format this or shall I just flash it first and then format? Or format before hand?

Usb flash drive? For some reason I have it in my head that you also need a usb flash drive installed in the box at a times for epg? Is this correct? If so are there certain brands and size people can recommend? And also what exactly is the usb flash drive used for?

I think that's all my questions so far before the box arrives but thought I'd start a new thread to hopefully bother you all along the way 😉

Thanks in advance

You can flash Grogs or willow's image on that box yes. Its a command line jobs exactly the same method as with any e2 box flashing those builds. It will overwrite the blackhole image with either build. I'd flash Willows if i was to use a build because its a bit more future proofed than Grog's .

I'd stick with Jedi.

Flash box it needs the HDD to install the builds, you could then Initialise to wipe the drive and mount it again afterwards if you want.

You dont need a USB with the HDD installed but i still prefer to use one for the EPG, Picons etc.

You can flash Grogs or willow's image on that box yes. Its a command line jobs exactly the same method as with any e2 box flashing those builds. It will overwrite the blackhole image with either build. I'd flash Willows if i was to use a build because its a bit more future proofed than Grog's .

I'd stick with Jedi.

Flash box it needs the HDD to install the builds, you could then Initialise to wipe the drive and mount it again afterwards if you want.

You dont need a USB with the HDD installed but i still prefer to use one for the EPG, Picons etc.
Thanks mate that's great...

So in essence just flash when we get it and don't worry about the HDD until flashed and then we can wipe it etc?

In terms of the flash usb drive, are there any brands that people recommend? Work better than others etc please?

So in essence just flash when we get it and don't worry about the HDD until flashed and then we can wipe it etc?

In terms of the flash usb drive, are there any brands that people recommend? Work better than others etc please?
Sandisk every time 8/16 GB smaller the better to flash E2 boxes

Kingston , Cruzer , Integral , San Disk are good names and for flashing Images max size of 8gb as i think anything larger maybe wasted.

Just be careful and get photos of it front and rear to make sure its not a clone/copy as Openvix may brick it

The HDD need to be mounted media/hdd before flashing the builds as they need it for part of the install process.

From another place

The Duo2 was cloned, but by the time they hit the market, the price was more expensive than originals.

So very few were sold.

If there are ofgwrite files in /usr/bin, you can flash using the remote/command line and not worry about USB sticks. "Flash on the fly", "flash online", "flash image" , "image manager" all invoke it to do the flashing.

Sorry also...

Can I flash willow direct from terminal? No files to download and place on the usb to flash?

If so when I flash do I need the usb plugged in to flash or just use the HDD and then insert the usb once flashed and in willow?

Sorry also...

Can I flash willow direct from terminal? No files to download and place on the usb to flash?

If so when I flash do I need the usb plugged in to flash or just use the HDD and then insert the usb once flashed and in willow?
Check the HDD is mounted then follow the guide from willow.

Yes you flash via command via termial or stand alone telnet app putty.

So the duo2 came today, connected up and all worked fine.

We then got the IP address for putty but for some reason we have now lost all network connection... Restarted the box and router but still nothing?

Any ideas please?

IMG_20230119_194634_826.jpg

Looks like you bought a USB stick. Why waste your time trying to fix the network issue? Just flash it by USB.

If you still want to fix your connectivity issue, you are in the wrong menu. You need to be in the adapter settings. The other possibility is that the box has mgcamd running and the logging IP address is wrong and you are DDOS yourself.

Looks like you bought a USB stick. Why waste your time trying to fix the network issue? Just flash it by USB.

If you still want to fix your connectivity issue, you are in the wrong menu. You need to be in the adapter settings. The other possibility is that the box has mgcamd running and the logging IP address is wrong and you are DDOS yourself.
Ah ok, so do I just flash to a standard openvix (I believe this is what willo uses?)

Or can I do willo direct from usb?

Ah ok, so do I just flash to a standard openvix (I believe this is what willo uses?)

Or can I do willo direct from usb?
The Willo build needs flashing by command bud.

Are you trying to connect via Wifi or network cable ? Use a network cable.

Back