Sharing HDD between two Zgemma h2s's - How to

Ok first recording test failed. I got an error message saying recording failed auto timer could not find the path. Strange as if I press record manually it works just fine. Is there something i'm missing?

The box doing the recording was in standby at the time.

2nd recording worked OK but this was when the box was awake

Last edited:
Ok first recording test failed. I got an error message saying recording failed auto timer could not find the path. Strange as if I press record manually it works just fine. Is there something i'm missing?

The box doing the recording was in standby at the time.

2nd recording worked OK but this was when the box was awake

That's strange, if it works when on on it should work when in standby, assuming the box with the hdd is either in standby or on.

I wonder if someone else may be able to throw some light on it.

hi, is this confirmed as a workable solution?

I'm considering getting my first h2s and if it goes well, I may get another one to for another room and it would be handy if there was a single recording location that can be accessed by both units.

hi, is this confirmed as a workable solution?

I'm considering getting my first h2s and if it goes well, I may get another one to for another room and it would be handy if there was a single recording location that can be accessed by both units.

Working great for me with that set up. Much better than separate HDD's

That's great. are there any major limitations in usability? i.e. can you record from both boxes at the same time? or watch different recordings on the two boxes at the same time?

The only limitations I have had is if using wifi on the boxes rather than lan cable, I found even just the file list took an age to come up on the 2nd box with wifi, I never recorded over wifi so cant comment on how well that works.

hey guys, i dont suppose someone can give me a quick guide on just setting up my nas drive as main recording storage for my single h.2s box please...i found this thread while searching for nas recording but as it is focused on sharing via two boxes i got kind of lost..if anyone could help that would be awesome.

hey guys, i dont suppose someone can give me a quick guide on just setting up my nas drive as main recording storage for my single h.2s box please...i found this thread while searching for nas recording but as it is focused on sharing via two boxes i got kind of lost..if anyone could help that would be awesome.

Success!!!

After an hour or so of messing about with network storage and directory settings i have the box set to record normal recordings and timer recordings to my 2tb seagate personal cloud
I have left the epg and timeshift features on the usb drive so hopefully this sounds all right and wont cause me any snags in the future...my box is connected by ethernet so playback is good as well.

If i can assist anyone else with this give me a shout and i can share how i have it setup...for now im well happy

I've followed the guide and got as far as box 2 network browser I can find my box1 but when I select it and say no to username and password it take me back to the list of network device but it doesn't show me the 2 files:

You should then see two items under your box1 entry,

Any help would be much appreciate.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've been asked how I've set up my two boxes too share one usb hard drive so that recordings can be viewed on either box so thought I would start a new thread.

I have 2 zgemma h2s boxes with wooshbuild 4.001 installed so my instructions are based on that but I assume other builds will be similar.

Box one is wooshbuilds standard setup with a usb hdd plugged into the back and mounted as /media/hdd, all recordings, timeshift and epg data etc is stored on the hdd. Nothing special.

Box 2 has wooshbuild 4.001 standard set up but with just a usb memory stick plugged in the back and mounted at /media/hdd and timeshift and epg data is stored on here as normal.

Now on box 1, I have turned off dhcp in network settings, Menu -> Setup -> System -> Network -> Device Setup -> Adaptor Settiings -> Use DHCP - NO, then green button to save. Exit out of the menu system and your network will restart. This gives your box 1 a permanent IP address so there is no chance of it changing if the box is rebooted.

Now on Box 2 you need to do the following:

Mount HDD thats on box 1 :

Menu -> Setup -> System -> Network -> Mounts Setup -> Mount Manager -> Network Browser, this should scan your network and you should see box1 on the list. Scroll down to box1 and click OK, select no when asked if a password is needed (even if you have password on box 1)

You should then see two items under your box1 entry, highligh HardDrive and click ok.again click no when asked if password is required. You will no see Mount Editor.

Go down each item, as you can see in the image below I have 'Mount using' set to FSTAB.

View attachment 18552
Scroll down and you will be asked for username and password, username is root, if you dont have a password on your box1 (default) then leave password blank, then press green button to save. Keep pressing exit until you return to tv.

Now go Menu -> Setup -> Recordings and Timeshift -> Recording Settings. With Default movie location highlighted press OK. HIghlight Parent Directory and press OK, then highlight List of Storage devices as press OK again. Now highlight your network drive HarddiskZGEMMAH2S (maybe slightly different) and press OK. Scroll down to movie and press OK once again and then press Blue button to add it as a bookmark and then green button.

Now with Default movie location highlighted use left and right arrows and select /media/net/HarddiskZGEMMAH2S/movie and press green button to save.

Now exit back to TV screen.

Still on box 2 press green button to get plugin list up, scroll down to Movie Organisor and click OK. Use arrow keys to change enabled to no and press green button.

Press 'File List' on remote of box2 and highlight .. and press OK, repeat this until you get a alist of hdd, net, autofs. Highlight net and press OK button. Scroll down to the network drive and press OK again, highlight movie and press OK once again. You should now see all of the recordings on the hdd connected to box 1. Press exit until you get back to TV screen

I personally restart box 2 just to make sure all network settings are set, but I dont know if this is needed.

You should now be watch recordings on either box, as well as recordings made on either box will be stored in the same place.

Hope this help

grog68,

Thanks for the instruction.

I'm having trouble accessing the shared movie folder on my box 1 HDD via the file list. I follow your instruction exactly and my Zgemma box freezes and i have to reboot every time i get to the movie folder via the file list. I've done this 4 times now and it happens every time. I can go through the folders of the shared HDD (which is really slow) but when i go to the movie folder is it constantly loading. Both boxes are wired.

Any ideas?

Sorry not sure what is causing it, you could try restarting the box 1 (one with hdd) by holding power button until a menu appears and select restart, and then once it has restarted restart the 2nd box.

You don't say what box/build you are using although it's shouldn't make a deal of difference.

Just did this worked great

Sharing the internal HDD on a h7 with a h2s at the min, changing to a h4 its in the post
And also sharing it with my house hold plex server, so I can get the recorded content on my smart TVs, iPad and my Mac

Thanks for the guide it was great

Just did this worked great

Sharing the internal HDD on a h7 with a h2s at the min, changing to a h4 its in the post
And also sharing it with my house hold plex server, so I can get the recorded content on my smart TVs, iPad and my Mac

Thanks for the guide it was great

how have you shared it with your server.?
I've had a few goes at this as it would be easier foir the missus to just get it on the tv rather than have to change to the box settings to playback.
thanks

how have you shared it with your server.?
I've had a few goes at this as it would be easier foir the missus to just get it on the tv rather than have to change to the box settings to playback.
thanks

well if you can share it with a second box, it is shared on the whole network
so i have used plex, you just go to the file location, its easy enough
but i cant remember how to do it now lol

some reason it keeps un connecting it self, but i don't know if thats because it i keep changing the name maybe, will need to try again

-------------

i was having a wee play
im on mac and to add the zgemma to my plex for around the house
the line was /Volumes/Harddisk/movie
which i thought was odd

Last edited:
OK,
this works great,
I've just set this up on 2 boxes running OpenVix,
a Formuler F1 and an Edision OSmini
and can also see the HDD on my PC , I've just transferred a load of films across from my PC to the HDD, not the fastest of methods, but it works, can also view on the PC,
just need to see how I can access it from my TV now, :)

Try the dlnaserver (i think) plugin on the box, I think then your tv should detect it. I played last year but can't remember exactly what I did

Hi grog68
Tried this earlier but only got as far as "Menu -> Setup -> System -> Network -> Mounts Setup -> Mount Manager -> Network Browser, this should scan your network and you should see box1 on the list" as Network browser wasn't there. I found it in another section but then followed the rest of your guide. I recorded something on box 2 but it isn't showing on box 1 hdd.
Had a few other problems as some of the steps outlined didn't seem to be there on my box.

I am using SkyQ skin on second box but can't see that being an issue.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hi contracts34, do you recall how you overcame box1 not appearing after the network scan as I have the same issue, you mention finding it in another section?

Back